Thread: Dress Shirts / Business Wear

My Ride
    ute

hhhnngggg Kiton.

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My parents switched years ago (even before any mandate - the Korean dry cleaning mafia pitched it as something that would bring in more customers) but their store is in LA.

No idea about Calgary, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

And you're all fucking amateurs:

https://www.farfetch.com/ca/shopping...id=9610&from=1
    Well shit. With items off that website, I'd be wearing nearly $10k in clothes for basic pants/shirt/socks/shoes to walk to Shoppers Drug Mart across the street (sadly I think many of the asian high school kids in my building are probably wearing stuff from that site).

My favorite shirts are these ones from Harry Rosen.
    https://www.harryrosen.com/en/clothi...irt/p/51211077

I picked up a few when they were on sale for $70 each, very very nice material and have held up very well (machine washed, hang to dry of course).

Other than those, I also regularly wear Banana Republic, and a few from The Bay (CK).

I only wear pricier stuff when rocking a suit, and then always have an undershirt to prevent stains in the arm pits from deodorant.

Hell, I have a few Gap dress shirts that look and fit just as good as my Boss shirts, always get people asking "where did you get that shirt?", and they are usually $13 off the clearance rack. Have had them for years and they still look new.

Re: CK socks, garbage IMO. They are the first to get holes in them.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

^Cut your damn toenails, lol. That's the first culprit of having holey socks.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I don't ball like 89coupe or InRich, but I like my items in pristine condition and dress for success.
    Dry clean is key for most of my dress shirts and pants and have lasted at least 3 years and still looks brand new.

Don't eat bun bo hue with it though, ruined my favorite dress shirt.
    Wear undershirt often so you don't get pit stains and stinky shirt.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Well shit. With items off that website, I'd be wearing nearly $10k in clothes for basic pants/shirt/socks/shoes to walk to Shoppers Drug Mart across the street (sadly I think many of the asian high school kids in my building are probably wearing stuff from that site).

My favorite shirts are these ones from Harry Rosen.
    https://www.harryrosen.com/en/clothi...irt/p/51211077

I picked up a few when they were on sale for $70 each, very very nice material and have held up very well (machine washed, hang to dry of course).

Other than those, I also regularly wear Banana Republic, and a few from The Bay (CK).

I only wear pricier stuff when rocking a suit, and then always have an undershirt to prevent stains in the arm pits from deodorant.

Hell, I have a few Gap dress shirts that look and fit just as good as my Boss shirts, always get people asking "where did you get that shirt?", and they are usually $13 off the clearance rack. Have had them for years and they still look new.

Re: CK socks, garbage IMO. They are the first to get holes in them.
    I one specced out a kiton suit when the rep was in town just for shits and giggles. Came out to $80k.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post

I am not a fan of Boss personally, I find their materials to be not so great. They also tend to have more modern and trendy cuts, which I personally find are not as comfortable. I see them more of an entry brand for the mid-20's crowd. That said, it has been a long time since I've worn a shirt made by them too.
    I don't know how you can say a $150 shirt is entry level in the grand scheme of things. But while I hate that they shrink, personally I far prefer my Boss shirts to my one Eton shirt (splurged). The Boss shirts are slimmer and I personally find they fit me way better even with darting and alterations.

The rest of what I have are BR, JCrew, etc... And always go retail. The factory stores are crap in comparison, its night and day.

CBC did a marketplace episode on Outlet stores and the quality differences. It's a really good watch if you're interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8cyvpJYZlk

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clothes (cotton) will shrink if you wash it and tumble dry in the dryer.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:15 AM.

No sure if mentioned but I wear almost exclusively Eddie Bauer wrinkle free shirts (and pants). I buy them when the go on sale. Not super formal though but cheap, really durable and never have to iron.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Wheres the hook up for shirts for the big boned fellas??????
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Yeah 150 is sort of the mid range for sure, but I seem to recall their shirts being on the entry level side not that long ago. It could be they have an entry level line as well, I really don't know that much about the company. For some reason when I think Boss dress shirts, I think 40~70 bucks.

When they relaunched Boss Orange back in 2010, there was this sleek grey watch that really caught my eye. It looked really great in photo's, but when I finally found it in person it was made of super cheap plastic and was just junk. It has definitely had an impact on how I view the brand.

The other Boss story that comes to mind is when I first came to Calgary, my room mates friend that hung around a lot with us got a job at the Mercedes dealership (he was like 17 at the time, no idea what they had him doing there). He had to buy a suit for the job, and he managed to get a brand new entire Boss suit, shirt, and tie, for like 250$, haha. Despite being so cheap, It actually looked pretty good too, I was impressed. lol, it just occurred to me that was nearly 20 years ago... fuck I feel old these days. I could buy a pretty nice 1000sq/ft+ DT condo back then for about 200K too!
    haha! You and me both. When i was in Uni. I had a Boss Orange watch, it was definitely on the cheaper end, but I actually kind of liked it. Not a watch snob either though.... but i can see where you're coming from.
    I've always seen Boss clothing as another deal though. I'm a bit of a neck tie snob, and have a Boss just a straight navy blue tie i paid $150 for. I think my Canali ties are about $150ish too.
    I know Boss does have different lines of shirts too though. For example picked one up for $130?ish and before buying that one put another Boss shirt back on the shelf that was "on sale" and still more than what I bought that shirt for. I didn't see or know the difference between the two, other than the one I bought was a "new arrival".
    Oh well, as long as your shirt fits, is well tailored, is a nice material, and perhaps most importantly that YOU LIKE IT, who cares otherwise.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Wheres the hook up for shirts for the big boned fellas??????
    I agree!

I need to get wardrobe that doesn't say Carhartt or dickies apparently.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I agree!

I need to get wardrobe that doesn't say Carhartt or dickies apparently.
    YEAH! I'm sick of paying $99 a shirt at Moores, especially when they don't do the BOGO anymore and now jacked the prices up to $119 a shirt and its Buy 1, Get One Half off.

I always see The Bay has shirts for sale $34.99, then I go look up the sizing and its le sigh....
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Trick for the Bay: Try and find your size in store, then order online for the pattern. (Or order a few different sizes and return the rest)

My Ride
    4x4

I'm an 18½ neck - can squeeze into an 18 but you can tell it's too small. That almost eliminates everything but big n tall store.

And I prefer Scottish sized thankyouverymuch

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'm an 18½ neck - can squeeze into an 18 but you can tell it's too small. That almost eliminates everything but big n tall store.

And I prefer Scottish sized thankyouverymuch
    I got you beat. I'm a 21 36/37

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Trick for the Bay: Try and find your size in store, then order online for the pattern. (Or order a few different sizes and return the rest)
    Absolutely buy online. The in store experience is awful. Free returns at any location.
    I usually buy a couple sizes when I'm not sure and just plan on returning whichever doesn't fit, or both if I'm not happy with it for any reason. Usually free shipping over $99 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Unless you're explicitly telling the dry cleaner to dry clean your shirts, they're laundering them.

Source: My parents own a dry cleaners.
    Question about dry cleaning:

My wife dropped a few of my cotton dress shirts off at a different dry cleaners she wanted to try out (cuz it was cheaper. Fuck) to get dry cleaned, and when she picked them up they said they uh, they laundered them and light starched them.

I've always told the normal dry cleaner i use to dry clean them and now:

1) I tried them on and they instantly wrinkle, arms, front, etc, literally looks like I slept in the shirt after just buttoning it up and sitting down. grabbed one of my other shirts that i've worn 2-3 times and is ready to go for dry cleaning and not a wrinkle in it.
    2) necks seems tighter now, to the point they're kinda annoying. arms and cuffs and all that feel and look ok still for all though so not sure if they shrunk for sure.

-Do you know wtf is up with the super wrinkle prone shirts now?
    -If I take them to my normal dry cleaner should be ok for not wrinkling?
    -As for the tighter neck, googefu on styleforum, those guys claim most dry cleaners just launder cotton shirts anyway when they people say dry clean, so u think these things have always been laundered and the shrinkage is in my head? Or do you think they lightly shrunk by being laundered for the first time here?

My Ride
    V8s

Bumping this thread. I'm looking to get a few tailor-made shirts. Any recommendations for where to go and when there might be sales? I've bought from indochino before (shirt fit great, suit fit mostly good), but none of the other places that have popped up. I'm not super fussed about price, but I also am not about to go buy a closet full of Eton shirts.

Second question - any updates on experiences with Huey Lam? Do they do shirts or just suits?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m sure many on here disagree but I am pretty dissapointed with my indochino shirts. Fit was fine but the fabric leaves much to be desired, one tore right in the small of my back after 3 wears, and I have found them very difficult to keep crisp.

Better off buying from Banana Republic. Still love my boss shirts, just not the price for a closet full. Eton is also great but I only have a couple for special occasions.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast