Quantcast
Swapping car's (daily) regularly... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping car's (daily) regularly...

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Swapping car's (daily) regularly...

So I have a bad habit with getting bored of cars, and constantly am changing cars (constantly in a payment, but whatever)...

That said, while it isn't obviously the most financially sound decision anyways... What would be the ideal time frame to turn around on a new car?

Dealer says the earlier the better... but they're in it for the sales so I don't know if I am leaning to believe what they say...
    I feel maybe 2 years?

My last car was 8 months, this one i'm at the 8 month mark again and kinda want to switch from my Focus ST to a RS. Just not sure if it's the best idea or if I should wait on that one a bit.

My Ride
    NC1

all the about the money. are you okay if underwater etc.

what you looking at now?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Went from a '15 GTI to a '16 Focus St, looking at a '17 Focus RS, really got sold on the Ford service package benefits and the car overall.

Should be about the same payments, $200 more a month but doable....

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

The steepest part of the depreciation curve is at the beginning. So the earlier the swap the more it costs you. But if you can afford it, why not?

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went from a '15 GTI to a '16 Focus St, looking at a '17 Focus RS, really got sold on the Ford service package benefits and the car overall.

friend has a focus (titanium?) and i gotta say, mighty surprise by them! with that said i still wouldn't buy one haha vw for life.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimmyJames View Post
    The steepest part of the depreciation curve is at the beginning. So the earlier the swap the more it costs you.
    This is what i'm getting at... I don't want to be unnecessarily throwing money away if that's the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    friend has a focus (titanium?) and i gotta say, mighty surprise by them! with that said i still wouldn't buy one haha vw for life.
    I was the VW for life guy before too lol... and will have one again when I have more of a garage than a parking stall amongst many below my condo lol.
    But take a Focus ST for a drive and it'll change the way you think haha.

My Ride
    NC1

best way to do it is buying used and only buy when it's a crazy deal lol otherwise you are almost always gonna be throwing some money away.

i drive a ford tho but it's a 2011 transit connect xlt

My Ride
    ute

You can satisfy your bored problem for cheaper by just buying two year old cars... Can do it just as often

The answer is probably have multiple cars, and never buy new if you can't handle keeping something for longer than a couple years. Anyone into cars most likely one day realizes that one car can't really check all the boxes for what you want.

For the last 10 years i've pretty much averaged around 6-7 at any given time. I'm currently down to almost as low as I can tolerate. Summer DD (335i), wife's DD (CT200h), truck for towing (GMC 1500), summer weekend sports car (FD), race car (FC). I'm tempted to add a cheap winter fuck bucket missle DD that I dont care if it gets rock chipped and rusted (was thinking a MR-S or NB Miata).

In the future I'm toying with the idea of weekend toy (911, or 911 turbo), cheap fuckbucket all year round commuter car (i drive about 70-80km every work day at 120kph, so rock chips ftl), wife's DD, race car, and rent a tow vehicle for race weekends.

I think the answer may be to buy a car that isn't so boring to begin with. Not to hate on your choices but The fords and GTI's are just really underwhelming to drive. I got bored of the each (2016 focus & 2015 GTI) after a day of bleeding them from friends...I couldn't imagine owning one as my "fun" car. Buy a real car and then pick up a fun ricer (240sx, MR2, Supra, etc.) you can tinker on in the garage....would keep most enthusiasts entertained I would think.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    The answer is probably have multiple cars, and never buy new if you can't handle keeping something for longer than a couple years. Anyone into cars most likely one day realizes that one car can't really check all the boxes for what you want.

For the last 10 years i've pretty much averaged around 6-7 at any given time. I'm currently down to almost as low as I can tolerate. Summer DD (335i), wife's DD (CT200h), truck for towing (GMC 1500), summer weekend sports car (FD), race car (FC). I'm tempted to add a cheap winter fuck bucket missle DD that I dont care if it gets rock chipped and rusted (was thinking a MR-S or NB Miata).

In the future I'm toying with the idea of weekend toy (911, or 911 turbo), cheap fuckbucket all year round commuter car (i drive about 70-80km every work day at 120kph, so rock chips ftl), wife's DD, race car, and rent a tow vehicle for race weekends.
    I'd rather have a smaller number of highly capable cars. But it's definitely a preference thing.

My Ride
    G37X

Like others have said buy a year or two old and let someone else do all the depreciation you're taking. Might be worth looking into shorter leases as well knowing you won't be keeping them long.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    I think the answer may be to buy a car that isn't so boring to begin with. Not to hate on your choices but The fords and GTI's are just really underwhelming to drive. I got bored of the each (2016 focus & 2015 GTI) after a day of bleeding them from friends...I couldn't imagine owning one as my "fun" car. Buy a real car and then pick up a fun ricer (240sx, MR2, Supra, etc.) you can tinker on in the garage....would keep most enthusiasts entertained I would think.
    Haha good advice but what's a real car in your opinion ?

My Ride
    Lease

Probably along the lines of Ferrari

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Probably along the lines of Ferrari
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

What's the problem? Lol...as long as you don't get into financial trouble, keep on doing it. Lots of great cars out there and life is short, we're all enthusiasts and this is our hobby. It's like dating, maybe one day you'll settle down lol and find your forever car, I'm 37 and I'm still searching, I've had my Z for 6 months but I just don't see a long future as my daily, maybe as a spare car but ya, it's not "the one"...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I used to do the same thing but with lightly used, leased or quite used vehicles. I'd switch in as often as two weeks and keep them as long as 1.5 years. I got tired of it after about 25 vehicles in four years, and got tired of fixing the older ones hence why I am in a cheap $0 down lease now and absolutely loving my car and actually saving considerable money.

You'd be better off keeping what you have and buying $3-10k fun cars for a short time to minimize depreciation on them, that way you can experience more vehicles and hopefully lose less money.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'd rather have a smaller number of highly capable cars. But it's definitely a preference thing.
    Word...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I guess one way to give yourself a reality check is to look at your current payment and compare that to what a person walking in off the street would get for the same car.
    I know some people who roll negative equity into each new vehicle and convince themselves its not a bad financial decision even though they end up with ridiculous payments fairly quickly.

If you want the judgemental assholes of beyond to do it for you (like Me) post that information.....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

911, C63 AMG, M4, GTR, RC-F, etc. Can get most of them a few years old for great prices.

If you like smaller cars you can get a new TT RS at a decent price. If you like ford grab a GT350.

If those are out of the budget you could consider something like an RS4. You can pick them up now for the mid 20's and is one of the funnest "raw" driving cars I previously owned. The only thing you have to worry about is brakes - expensive as hell to replace.
    Last edited by Type_S1; 10-01-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast