Quantcast
Cycling Sales and Deals - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Sales and Deals

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget about cheaper, I would be looking for an e-bike that goes 28mph instead of the shitty 20mph we get here.
    I found mods to unlock speed limiter haha. But ya it was wild trying to go faster up a steep hill. Literally hit a wall and I’m sweating my ass off trying.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Forget about cheaper, I would be looking for an e-bike that goes 28mph instead of the shitty 20mph we get here.
    I never thought of this. Are we able to ship US e-bikes over the border? Maybe my next one will be a border pick up in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I found mods to unlock speed limiter haha. But ya it was wild trying to go faster up a steep hill. Literally hit a wall and I’m sweating my ass off trying.
    Relatively easy to get done as long as the other components are spec'd to do those speeds.

Im pretty sure the law here is 20mph, so any of the main manufacturers will have to abide by those for us.

But as Rage2 mentioned, its super easy to de restrict them. I have an Orbea with the bosch and got the volspeed 4 from these guys https://ebiketuner.com/en-ca and its plug and play with no weird shut down mode. Ive seen some where you have to power down a certain way after you're done, the vol speed just lets you operate as normal. Ive only used this a couple of times though, riding home from DT and in Fernie where i was showing it off to my other buddies who didnt have it on their ebikes on a flat road back to the car. 20mph was more than enough for me at places like WB. 28mph is a game changer on flat rides but only useful if everyone in your crew has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    For the most part, it is cheaper down there, one, because of sales tax. Just make sure you don't tell them you bought the bike from there. I would ride for like 4 km to make it look used. The tax for a complete bike across the border is 13%. Parts are 5% though.
    Ok cool I'll check out bike shops in the US and compare. There seems to be way more bike shops per capita (at least in Salt Lake City and Henderson NV where I'll be staying). Henderson and Vegas have brick and mortar Trek and Giant stores too.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    For the most part, it is cheaper down there, one, because of sales tax. Just make sure you don't tell them you bought the bike from there. I would ride for like 4 km to make it look used. The tax for a complete bike across the border is 13%. Parts are 5% though.
    13% tax is if the bike is made outside of CUSMA (Formerly known as NAFTA). _ I ran into this recently when I bought the bike from Canyon. Ended up with $600 Duty , Brokerage and taxes bill.

If the bike is made in CUSMA no taxes. You will just pay the GST.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    13% tax is if the bike is made outside of CUSMA (Formerly known as NAFTA). _ I ran into this recently when I bought the bike from Canyon. Ended up with $600 Duty , Brokerage and taxes bill.

Sorry I forgot to mention that part. I always assume a lot of bikes are made outside of CUSMA lol (thought of Canyon actually).

Thank you for pointing that out.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

None of the big brands are made in the USA.

You are left with niche and titanium manufacturers.

https://allamerican.org/lists/bikes/

Almost bought a Spectral mullet last year and the Duties/taxes wouldve been close to a $1000 but even with that extra 1000 the bike was still a good deal imo. Not so much anymore though because theres some pretty good sales out there
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Almost bought a Spectral mullet last year and the Duties/taxes wouldve been close to a $1000 but even with that extra 1000 the bike was still a good deal imo. Not so much anymore though because theres some pretty good sales out there
    Recently looked into getting a Canyon bike for my wife (very hard to find small sizes locally and Canyon has 3XS which from their calculation is suitable). I read up on various reports about doing self-clear and how Canyon bikes are mostly assembled in Germany could qualify for 0% duty and just pay taxes (PST/GST, etc). So, I was prepared to do the self-clear and try to avoid the 13% import duty.

Anyway, on the checkout page of Canyon, it now showed zero for import duty. The footnote for that field goes something like this

"Most bikes imported into Canada are free of import duty charges. On bikes subject to import duties, a 13% charge applies. Import duty charges for gear products differentiate... At check-out you pay the net price to Canyon, but will be informed about the estimated import duty change for your bike order, which is due to UPS on delivery..."

I don't remember if it showed a non-zero import duty or if there was even a import duty line a couple years back when they started selling directly to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    I don't remember if it showed a non-zero import duty or if there was even a import duty line a couple years back when they started selling directly to Canada.
    I started looking at them late 2021 and then put an order for one in feb last year and there was definitely duties. If i recall right there was a line item that showed the duties at check out

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I started looking at them late 2021 and then put an order for one in feb last year and there was definitely duties. If i recall right there was a line item that showed the duties at check out
    My last canyon order (May/22) there was no line item for duty at checkout - just checked my invoices. Order was for $7228.85 and was hit with duty of $1332.06 CAD (~18% = GST, plus duty??). At least I was expecting it...
    I received a separate email from UPS, with the charge information a few days after checkout.

Right from their FAQs

Which taxes and import duties apply when I order something to Canada from Canyon?
    1) Estimated Sales Tax on Bike
    All prices displayed on our website in CAD, are exclusive sales tax (GST, PST, HST). Sales tax calculation is depending on your location of residency and based on the price of goods, plus shipping and packaging and including import duties. At check-out you pay the net price to Canyon, but will be informed about the estimated sales tax for your bike order, which is due to UPS on delivery of your bike and gear products.

2) Estimated Import Duty on Bike
    All bikes imported into the Canadian country are subject to a 13% import duty charge. Duty calculation is based on the price of goods, plus shipping and packaging. Import duty charges for accessories differentiate depending on the product group (see “Estimated Import Duty on Accessories”). At check-out you pay the net price to Canyon, but will be informed about the estimated import duty charge for your bike order, which is due to UPS on delivery of your bike and gear products.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 08-22-2023 at 11:57 AM.

None of the big brands are made in the USA.

You are left with niche and titanium manufacturers.

https://allamerican.org/lists/bikes/
    Mostly Alu/Steel and specific models but I think:

Divinci

Chromag

Banshee

Knolly

We are One

My Ride
    an econo box

I ended buying a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 at the Trek Store in Port Coquitlam while I was in Vancouver. It was on sale and prices are a bit negotiable too. Didn't pay PST because of my AB address (their computer takes it off automatically as soon as they enter your address). There's actually two brick and mortar Trek stores in the GVA. The sales guy says they're aggressively expanding in Canada so he wouldn't be surprised if Calgary is getting a location soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post

Right from their FAQs

Which taxes and import duties apply when I order something to Canada from Canyon?
    1) Estimated Sales Tax on Bike
    All prices displayed on our website in CAD, are exclusive sales tax (GST, PST, HST). Sales tax calculation is depending on your location of residency and based on the price of goods, plus shipping and packaging and including import duties. At check-out you pay the net price to Canyon, but will be informed about the estimated sales tax for your bike order, which is due to UPS on delivery of your bike and gear products.

2) Estimated Import Duty on Bike
    All bikes imported into the Canadian country are subject to a 13% import duty charge. Duty calculation is based on the price of goods, plus shipping and packaging. Import duty charges for accessories differentiate depending on the product group (see “Estimated Import Duty on Accessories”). At check-out you pay the net price to Canyon, but will be informed about the estimated import duty charge for your bike order, which is due to UPS on delivery of your bike and gear products.
    Yes, that is what I’ve read from their website too. That is also why I’m surprised to see this:

Name:  IMG_5349.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  81.7 KB

On the checkout page with the zero duty line.

My Ride
    95B

Yes, that is what I’ve read from their website too. That is also why I’m surprised to see this:

Name:  IMG_5349.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  81.7 KB

On the checkout page with the zero duty line.
    What am I missing here?
    Canyon clearly states that what you pay the Duty + Taxes to UPS along with brokerage charges.
    When I placed the order it was clear to me that I will be getting an invoice from UPS for the taxes + Brokerage.
    Last edited by ganesh; 08-22-2023 at 06:19 PM.

What am I missing here?
    Canyon clearly states that what you pay the Duty + Taxes to UPS along with brokerage charges.
    When I placed the order it was clear to me that I will be getting an invoice from UPS for the taxes + Brokerage.
    I’m just curious if the import duty line on the checkout page has always been zero and the 13% duty is implied. The statement there seem to indicate that the estimated import duty will be shown on the checkout page and will be collected by UPS along with the GST/PST/HST and fees.

My Ride
    95B

I’m just curious if the import duty line on the checkout page has always been zero and the 13% duty is implied. The statement there seem to indicate that the estimated import duty will be shown on the checkout page and will be collected by UPS along with the GST/PST/HST and fees.
    Yes. To best of my knowledge it has always been $ 0.00.
    You will receive a email notification from UPS that will indicate how much you owe them and you can pay the amount online or pay the amount to the driver.
    FYI, the handheld drivers carry for some reason doesn't take AMEX.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Definitely in the market for a new enduro come fall sales… hopefully some sweet deals soon

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Definitely in the market for a new enduro come fall sales… hopefully some sweet deals soon
    Imby has some pretty good deals on knolly and deviant right now, almost 40% off

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 ... LastLast