Quantcast
Notley threatening sanctions on BC for inhibiting Kinder expansion. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Notley threatening sanctions on BC for inhibiting Kinder expansion.

Default Notley threatening sanctions on BC for inhibiting Kinder expansion.

Three things come to mind with this:

1) The expansion was approved by the feds over a year ago, yet BC continued to bite the hand that feeds them. Why wasn't Notley threatening sanctions at that time?

2) How is it that BC can cause legal delays when the feds have already approved it?

3) Why isn't Trudeau stepping in and bringing the hammer down?
    Last edited by Seth1968; 02-01-2018 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    ute

The answer t o #3 is obvious: it doesn't cost him any votes.

The answers to #1 and #2 are also obvious: Confederation is a non-functioning framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The answer t o #3 is obvious: it doesn't cost him any votes.

The answers to #1 and #2 are also obvious: Confederation is a non-functioning framework.
    Touche on all counts.

Help me out here, I'm grasping at finding some hope

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Eh, I'd phrase it more along the lines "laws that are not enforced are not laws". Confederation works fine when it is enforced.

Trudeau has clearly shown he runs Canada as much more of a "dictator" than Harper ever did, to the point its laughable anyone ever claimed Harper acted that way.

Edit-
    Understand, what will happen is the NEW NEB rules that are being tabled this week will almost certainly play into the BC NDP's hands on getting the Kinder expansion delayed further, and then the company will drop the expansion. Fed's will go "well we tried", BC NDP will get what they want, Alberta NDP is a one term party and the Federal Liberals don't give a shit about us anyways. 100% win for everyone except Alberta.

Trudeau, just like his father, gets nothing from appeasing Albertans. As I've mentioned before, a lot of people forget that we are the blacksheep of a province in this country. For "millennials" like myself, it can be a hard concept to grasp having only basically paying attention to politics with the Conservatives having led federally through my teens and onward. Before that, Liberals have always done the exact same thing. Its why I strongly argue that Alberta separation can make sense and we should not be a part of Canada, we will always be the minority

Being the constant minority in politics overall is no different than being in a dictatorship.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 02-01-2018 at 11:47 AM.

#3 - i'll reserve judgement until it's been a week or two. This is pretty fresh news so i will give the liberals the benefit of the doubt and assume they are looking at options. This is a big contributor to the Canadian economy as a whole so they have an interest in getting this done.

Blockade highway #1.

My Ride
    ute

Alberta separation has gone from "let's think about it." To something that is painfully obvious.

If we are having these problems getting our product to market being the same country, how does anyone figure it will be easier if we are a separate country and have to negotiate with a (potentially bitter) Canada?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Alberta separation has gone from "let's think about it." To something that is painfully obvious.
    lol.

Land locked state with a low population, large land area and a very uncertain future for their main export without much else to offer.

Alberta separating by itself would be absolutely brain dead.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    lol.

Land locked state with a low population, large land area and a very uncertain future for their main export without much else to offer.

We're land locked either way. If we separate then we can at least see what the value of our presence is worth to either Canada or the US as a trading partner. Being in Confederation doesn't make us un-land-locked. Unless you think that provinces can physically move?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    As I've mentioned before, a lot of people forget that we are the blacksheep of a province in this country. For "millennials" like myself, it can be a hard concept to grasp having only basically paying attention to politics with the Conservatives having led federally through my teens and onward. Before that, Liberals have always done the exact same thing. Its why I strongly argue that Alberta separation can make sense and we should not be a part of Canada, we will always be the minority

Being the constant minority in politics overall is no different than being in a dictatorship.
    Agreed. Separation of some sort is the only answer.

Perhaps separate, then force BC to allow our pipelines to the coast? That is, triple their cost to buy our oil, gas, and electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    #3 - i'll reserve judgement until it's been a week or two. This is pretty fresh news so i will give the liberals the benefit of the doubt and assume they are looking at options. This is a big contributor to the Canadian economy as a whole so they have an interest in getting this done.
    So economy or votes?

My Ride
    V8s

lol.

You did a great job of describing the current state of Alberta, except you left out the fact that we have federal overlords stifling our interests.

At the very least, a true threat of separation should scare the shit out of the rest of Canada. That is, at least to the few that know we support their asses.

lol.

Canada needs Alberta's money in a serious way. Alberta's transfer money literally keeps Confederation from falling apart. Our money bribes Quebec. Without Alberta's money, Quebec and the maritime provinces will have even more gigantic deficits than they do now. Massive tax increases for them will have to happen, or massive cuts in spending.

There's a reason why the federal Liberals speak out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    3) Why isn't Trudeau stepping in and bringing the hammer down?

"Albertan calls for Trudeau to intervene in provincial jurisdictions, energy sector."

Lougheed would be rolling in his grave.

“And that pipeline is going to get built. We will stand by our decision, we will ensure that the Kinder Morgan pipeline gets built.”
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4000183/t...-says-trudeau/

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    :Rofl: I mean, because what else would he say?

Again, the Liberals don't have to do anything besides stand by. It'll all work out exactly as they want it to without their interference.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

We're land locked either way. If we separate then we can at least see what the value of our presence is worth to either Canada or the US as a trading partner. Being in Confederation doesn't make us un-land-locked. Unless you think that provinces can physically move?
    So wait, you think it will be easier to get BC to do something for us when we're not part of the same country as them? I don't see how that will help us get our product to market. The east already imports oil instead of taking ours.

I agree that the feds need to do something though. This is ridiculous. Same issue in the East.

Biting the hand that feeds them.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 02-01-2018 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So wait, you think it will be easier to get BC to do something for us when we're not part of the same country as them? I don't see how that will help us get our product to market. .
    BC would be in trouble without our oil exports. Shut the pipelines, send it down south. Trump would approve that in a heartbeat as well.

And to show how much Trudeau is standing up for us:

#realtalk

Edit-
    Part of the problem with modern politics is not having any backbone. Seperating from Canada would CERTAINLY be painful. But worth it in the end. No different than Brexit, its tough to see now, but 50 years on when the EU wants to join a broader governing body to enforce laws globally, they'll appreciate not being part of it.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 02-01-2018 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Yeah, Brexit is working out well too.

Page 1 of 40 1 2 11 ... LastLast