Quantcast
Beyond CSI: Check out this guy trying to steal my stuff... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 104

Thread: Beyond CSI: Check out this guy trying to steal my stuff...

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    621
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I'd engage directly either, you can get in too much legal trouble these days if you are the first one to throw a punch, even if it is justified.

    With that said if I was certain he was trying to steal my shit I might slash one of his tires or turn the hose on him. I doubt somebody like this would call the cops. Plus if he decides to get tough, well then at least you can play the self defense card and show him the business end of a breaker bar.
    This is where i am at too. I wouldn't start with fisticuffs but he wouldn't be walking out of there without some action. I highly doubt someone stealing shit is going to report someone slashed his tires. His word vrs yours at that point. But at least he know if he comes back it's not going to be easy.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact is violent home invasions are statistically extremely low in Calgary,
    To add to that, the ones that DO happen tend to be targeted and often involve gang or drug activity... in which case they largely bring it on themselves.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,794
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    ..
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too. I caught a kid going through my car a few years back. Grabbed him and threw him to the ground. He started bawling. I made him empty his pockets, he had nothing but loose change in his pockets. Turns out he was 16 and lived in my neighbourhood came from a rough home and probably never had decent parenting.

    Why would I want to injure someone like that? What kind of person would I be if I had harmed him? Most he would have got was a $200 iPod sitting in my console and I can easily replace that.

    At the end of the day decent people don’t want to harm anyone and have serious reservations about doing so.
    Wait wait wait.

    I'm a decent person, but I sure as fuck want to harm some people.

    Let's take your logic to the fullest extent. If so, what do you propose we do with child rapists? Prison? How is that not harming them?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait wait wait.

    I'm a decent person, but I sure as fuck want to harm some people.

    Let's take your logic to the fullest extent. If so, what do you propose we do with child rapists? Prison? How is that not harming them?
    Equating injuring or killing someone to putting them in jail because it “harms them too” is a pretty disingenuous stretch to make.

    I guess I should rephrase a bit. Decent people may “want” to harm someone but no decent person will know they’d go through with it if given the chance (defense excluded in this argument of course).

    If you were in the OP’s shoes, the police caught the guy and charged him for whatever crime (maybe for the likely stolen generator for example). If they gave you the option with no legal implications to also show up and beat the guy senseless with a bat and you’d actually take them up on that offer, then no, you are fundamentally a bad person...

    Make the punishment fit the crime, end of story.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Equating injuring or killing someone to putting them in jail because it “harms them too” is a pretty disingenuous stretch to make.

    I guess I should rephrase a bit. Decent people may “want” to harm someone but no decent person will know they’d go through with it if given the chance (defense excluded in this argument of course).

    If you were in the OP’s shoes, the police caught the guy and charged him for whatever crime (maybe for the likely stolen generator for example). If they gave you the option with no legal implications to also show up and beat the guy senseless with a bat and you’d actually take them up on that offer, then no, you are fundamentally a bad person...

    Make the punishment fit the crime, end of story.
    Except, you just side stepped my point, and instead, moved the goal posts.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,961
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That fucker deserves to be shot and killed, put down the phone and pick up your pistol op!!
    allthesesocial-media-tough-guys-were-waiting-~ss-26623955.png
    Last edited by speedog; 03-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Ciao, beyond.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except, you just side stepped my point, and instead, moved the goal posts.
    I guess your point wasn’t clear. I haven’t move the goal posts. We’ve got several people in here claiming a violent response is appropriate and justified over attempted petty theft.

    You made a disengenuous stretch to put physically harming someone at a similar level to putting someone in jail. I can’t argue with that as there is no rational connection between the two in this debate...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The day I see your opinion, is about the same day I fuck a fence.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess your point wasn’t clear. I haven’t move the goal posts. We’ve got several people in here claiming a violent response is appropriate and justified over attempted petty theft.

    You made a disengenuous stretch to put physically harming someone at a similar level to putting someone in jail. I can’t argue with that as there is no rational connection between the two in this debate...
    Except, the only rational is to remove the POS from society.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The day I see your opinion, is about the same day I fuck a fence.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Except, the only rational is to remove the POS from society.
    Your point still doesn’t make sense. I’m trying to find the rational/logical connection you tried to make between injuring/killing someone and jailing them?

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    2019 JLU /Ninja EX650r
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Except, the only rational is to remove the POS from society.
    Speeding and texting/distracted driving is unlawful. More dangerous repercussions than petty theft (You could actually injure/kill someone because you aren't paying attention while driving/unable to stop based on conditions. vs taking change or a spare tire) Should people also be harmed/shot because of that?

    Thieves like that go for easy targets. This person will not come back because he knows he has been identified (ie: not easy any more.) Who knows? Maybe this person had zero intentions of stealing anything? Have you ever walked up to a car/bike to check it out? Sure you may say its different than a beat to shit trailer, but to someone else the perception of you walking up to the car may look like you are checking it out with the intent of theft.

    I honestly do believe our justice system is flawed, but shooting/harming/killing people isn't the answer.

    Check out The Stanford Prison Experiment for an example on how decent people can turn into horrendous people. The film is based on actual psychological trials in California.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the upside-down
    My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost
    Posts
    1,010
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    So I heard back from the RCMP last night. The plates were stolen from Calgary. Interestingly enough, they said that's likely the best chance of charging him with something!

    I'd always thought I'd be one to run out with my baseball bat. As a gun owner, and someone who supports Castle protection, I have nothing against protecting one's property. That said...I don't want to kill anyone. My brain switched gears when I realized what was happening, and I only had 2 thoughts: 1) I was so angry that someone had the nerve to come back and try to steal from me again 2) I needed to get him on video because I then we could track him. I did not even stop to consider grabbing a weapon and pounding the crap out of the guy, nor did I have the time to do so....but I was not scared or intimidated at all by him either. Only later did my neighbor point out that I ran out there (only half dressed!) to confront this guy while he was carrying a big wrench and could have easily tried to run me over as well.

    Interesting to see how I reacted versus how I would be claiming to react if I were just commenting on someone else's Beyond thread.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I think mike Tyson said it best “everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth”. What you think you can/will do changes drastically once you’re in the thick of it. That’s partly why I don’t take any of these “kill em”, “smash his skull” comments truly seriously haha

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I heard back from the RCMP last night. The plates were stolen from Calgary. Interestingly enough, they said that's likely the best chance of charging him with something!

    I'd always thought I'd be one to run out with my baseball bat. As a gun owner, and someone who supports Castle protection, I have nothing against protecting one's property. That said...I don't want to kill anyone. My brain switched gears when I realized what was happening, and I only had 2 thoughts: 1) I was so angry that someone had the nerve to come back and try to steal from me again 2) I needed to get him on video because I then we could track him. I did not even stop to consider grabbing a weapon and pounding the crap out of the guy, nor did I have the time to do so....but I was not scared or intimidated at all by him either. Only later did my neighbor point out that I ran out there (only half dressed!) to confront this guy while he was carrying a big wrench and could have easily tried to run me over as well.

    Interesting to see how I reacted versus how I would be claiming to react if I were just commenting on someone else's Beyond thread.
    You made the right call. Physical confrontation is for the unwashed masses and plebs.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,794
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Three wheeled skateboard
    Posts
    8,586
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I know how I'd react. I'd hide in my house like a little bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I have a citizens arrest under my belt already, the difference was that person was already convicted... Still I don't know if I could control my reaction to catching some shithead up to no good like that....
    1987 T62R 20b FC Quaife seq 6sp Motec m800
    1988 20B Peripheral port FC3S
    1994 T51r Kai BB Peripheral port FD

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,961
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody who is a legal gun owner knows the kind of red tape and trouble you can get into. Plus gun owners (at least the ones I know) generally try to hold themselves to a higher standard because of all the pressure from media and government to crack down on ownership. Pulling a gun out for something like a petty robbery isn't helping that cause.



    Most people don't truly know how they would react in a situation like that.

    You have a few seconds to assess what is happening and then that fight/flight/freeze reaction kicks in. Unless you've had a lot of experience, it can be hard to control exactly what kind of action you might take.

    I think it is pretty impressive you were able to get our your camera and get some good photos. That was a great way to handle this incident IMO.
    The people who react appropriately would usually be people with training for such scenarios, police, armed forces, some security guard services.
    Ciao, beyond.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,961
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Stolen 2001 Dodge 4x4 green on Reddit, eerily similar - link. I wonder if the one in @freshprince1 case is missing wheel well chrome on the passenger side.
    Ciao, beyond.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I heard back from the RCMP last night. The plates were stolen from Calgary. Interestingly enough, they said that's likely the best chance of charging him with something!

    I'd always thought I'd be one to run out with my baseball bat. As a gun owner, and someone who supports Castle protection, I have nothing against protecting one's property. That said...I don't want to kill anyone. My brain switched gears when I realized what was happening, and I only had 2 thoughts: 1) I was so angry that someone had the nerve to come back and try to steal from me again 2) I needed to get him on video because I then we could track him. I did not even stop to consider grabbing a weapon and pounding the crap out of the guy, nor did I have the time to do so....but I was not scared or intimidated at all by him either. Only later did my neighbor point out that I ran out there (only half dressed!) to confront this guy while he was carrying a big wrench and could have easily tried to run me over as well.

    Interesting to see how I reacted versus how I would be claiming to react if I were just commenting on someone else's Beyond thread.
    I think you reacted how most normal people would. Your reflection on the scenario and your stance on castle law makes it even more interesting.

    No normal person would jump to grabbing their guns...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM
  2. WTB: CSI/CSI Miami

    By New2Talon in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 03-08-2008, 10:25 PM
  3. Tiger Woods takes down someone trying to steal his clubs.

    By tentacles in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
  4. Kid gets pwned trying to steal steam account

    By heinz256 in forum Video Games
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 10-31-2006, 03:45 AM
  5. Don't steal from this guy!

    By b_t in forum Misc. Gallery
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •