Quantcast
Finding a travel friend - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finding a travel friend

My Ride
    NC1

Default Finding a travel friend

Does anyone have any recommendations on travel sites or forums where people meet up and go on trips together? If you have any info to share it would be great. Thanks!

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This is easy, Max. You pay, I'll come with

No boobs for foodie review sadly, sorry!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had to click to link to see if it was real.

Greasy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I had to click to link to see if it was real.

Greasy.
    Was gonna sincerely reply with seeking arrangement site, not trolling. But All good since both sites own by the same CEO

My Ride
    rally pig

This looks promising too
    https://backpackr.org

http://www.adventurecatcher.com/9-be...ile-traveling/

Best of luck man! Wish i could still backpack

My Ride
    ute

Grindr

My Ride
    Silverado

Go it alone. Bang along the way.

My Ride
    Exploded.

When I backpacked solo, I just met people at the hostel. Gave me ideas on where to go, and sometimes tagged along!

They're good friends now as well.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yup. I can see how it would sort of feel hard/boring/daunting to do something like this alone, but I think the whole fun of is that you meet so many people along your way if you're staying at hostels and shit. I am not the solo traveler type by any means but I really wish I was. Either way, it's not too late for me now anyway since I am married but wish I had done something like this in my younger years especially when I had the opportunity living in the UK.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

None of the hockey and badminton guys and girls want to go? It is always neat to meet people during the travel.

Go alone, stay a couple nights at Hostels each place, meet people.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Is Max even talking about backpacking? Lol
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You may have to be specific in your travel quests ...... eg. backpacking Europe to visit all the tourist traps would garner a different response than a backpack trip to Tasmania (ie. eco tourism),

Go on a G-Adventure tour (Previously GAP adventures) and meet people. You can pick your group size, age, etc. Also this way you aren't stuck with someone if you end up not liking your pre-selected travel buddy.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The couch surfing app has a hangout option for people in the area. It connects you with other travellers in the area. I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia alone. I used the app and met a some people for drinks. Ended up with a travel buddy the next day. We saw Angor Wat together.

You can also stay in social hostels, a few of them have bbq or social events that help break the ice to connect with other travellers. You don't have to stay in the dorm, a few of them have private rooms or you can hang out in the bar lounge area and meet people. I did this on my trip and ended up travelling with others along the way.

My Ride
    This and that.

One thing I can suggest if you meet the criteria is a Contiki Tour. Google it to see what they are about. We had a couple from LA do it through Europe and they can't stop raving about it. The wife and I plan to do it later this year if the time allows. They do have some requirements you have to satisfy so need to see that. One I know of that you have to be under 35 years of age and I am not sure if it's couples only or not (maybe not). But essentially your stay and travel is included and there is a set itinerary and you travel on buses etc to whatever location you choose. Sounds like a good way to cover multiple locations.

https://www.contiki.com/ca/en

My Ride
    NC1

Thanks for the tips. Yes I've done Contiki before. I'm just presuming most of the hostel crowd is younger in their 20s? I'm mid 30s now but I have no problem slamming girls who are 18+ haha

I have several options but just seeing what else is out there.

Like a lot of people have mentioned already - meet people in hostels. Most hostels have private rooms that are a little more expensive than the shared rooms if you're a bit older. Gives you some privacy while still getting a chance to meet other travelers. Travelers are generally some of the nicest and most chill people around so it's super easy to make friends. I've met plenty of people in their 30s or older in hostels especially in Europe where accommodations are expensive and hostels are the norm for families and older folks. Oldest dude I met at a hostel must've been 80 plus. If you're looking for a slightly more mature crowd look to avoid "youth" hostels. The "youth" is just hostel code for party hostel...unless that's what you're looking for. I usually book everything on hostelworld.com

My first few solo trips were scary especially just before taking off. Those have always been the most personally reward trips. When you actually get on the road you realize it's lot more freedom compared to traveling with a companion. You don't need to wait around for them to get ready or trod through stuff that isn't interesting to you. You just get up and go as you please which is refreshing. Even if you're a bit shy I find after a week or so of not talking to anyone you get pretty lonely and naturally start having long conversations with just about everyone you meet out of boredom. Just book a trip and get out there.
    Last edited by Manhattan; 05-11-2018 at 02:42 PM.

When I was thinking about backpacking with someone when I went to Europe but went alone and it was significantly better than I imagined. I was able to do whatever I wanted when I wanted. I didn't need to compromise with anyone. Hostels are absolutely amazing way to meet people, I went out for dinner/drinks with almost everyone I shared a room with. Everyone is super friendly although you do get those guys who drink all night and sleep all day, make sure to bring some ear plugs.
    Hostelworld is great to find locations that would be more suited towards your needs. I ended up traveling with a small group for 7 days when we jumped between hostels in different cities.
    Its awesome I would highly recommend going alone if you haven't done it before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast