Quantcast
Convertibles and old people... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Convertibles and old people...

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default Convertibles and old people...

Since summer started early I've noticed all the convertibles on the road, and every single one I've seen is drivenby an old person... what's up with that? I've personally never found the appeal..I did own a convertible 350Z once just to try it out when i was 30, but I hated it with the top down, it too hot and I hated the lackof privacy...I can totally see speedog driving one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Who else would WANT a convertible? People dreaming of the 1970's or 1960's when they were young is about it....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And here I am today on my day off shopping for convertibles at several dealerships. Thanks for making me feel old.

And ya, clearly trying to relive my youth. I’ve been driving convertibles back in the day from early 20s to mid 30s. Don’t give a shit about privacy, and awesome tans every year haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Convertibles are cool if the car is a super raw, visceral type of vehicle. You can leave the AC and radio off and just hear the engine and exhaust.

Cruising around at plus 15 with the windows up and the heat on to keep your old lady’s saggy tits warm is the opposite of why you should have a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Since summer started early I've noticed all the convertibles on the road, and every single one I've seen is drivenby an old person... what's up with that? I've personally never found the appeal..I did own a convertible 350Z once just to try it out when i was 30, but I hated it with the top down, it too hot and I hated the lackof privacy...I can totally see speedog driving one.
    Only a Fiat X1/9 but that would be a foolish car to pursue any more, too difficult to get parts, to difficult to find one in half decent shape.

But they are a blast to drive, not powerful by any means but just a lot of fun - almost go kart like.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Only a Fiat X1/9 but that would be a foolish car to pursue any more, too difficult to get parts, to difficult to find one in half decent shape.

But they are a blast to drive, not powerful by any means but just a lot of fun - almost go kart like.
    What about the new Fiat?? I wouldn't mind one of those if it had a bit more power..

My Ride
    06 S2000

Myself and my wife love the S2000 in the summer, and I'm 30. I guess I'm old? She's still in her 20's.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Convertibles are cool if the car is a super raw, visceral type of vehicle. You can leave the AC and radio off and just hear the engine and exhaust.

Cruising around at plus 15 with the windows up and the heat on to keep your old lady’s saggy tits warm is the opposite of why you should have a convertible.
    Completely disagree, convertible and performance don’t mix.

I see a convertible as much more suited a a comfortable touring/GT type vehicle. Drive along the shore of the lake kindof deal.

I see a performance convertible as purely narcissistic and all about showing off as much as humanly possible. Cause the drop top isn’t making the car any faster.

That’s just my take on them at least.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

damn. I miss my s2k and slk!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The old man loves convertibles, he recently convinced the boss that its time to upgrade from the 02 camaro ss convertible to a 2013 ZO6 convertible, which is exactly the pointless sort of car Kill has pointed out. At least he only drives stick, can't imagine my father wearing gold chains in an auto base model vette

I'm not for or against convertibles. If I only had one "fun" car, it wouldn't be a convertible. But if I had two (a serious toy, and then a cruiser), the cruiser would definitely be a convertible. T-Tops and sunroof/moonroofs can go RIGHT fuck themselves, now those are truly stupid.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I borrowed my sisters MX5 back in 2006 and picked up a lady friend. We went and cruised around the central London in the evening.. The car is not fast, but my god its a different experience nipping around central with the hood down.. Fun times. It a fun car to drive around small roads and landmarks.

A few years back I drove a SL55 in Calgary with the hood down.. er....was not quite the same experience. Aside from my neck hurting from the acceleration the exhaust note sounded pretty good.

What about the new Fiat?? I wouldn't mind one of those if it had a bit more power..
    Nope, just a X1/9 but I shouldn't have mentioned it because it is not a convertible, just a targa roofed, gutless, larger sized go-kart.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Completely disagree, convertible and performance don’t mix.

I see a convertible as much more suited a a comfortable touring/GT type vehicle. Drive along the shore of the lake kindof deal.

I see a performance convertible as purely narcissistic and all about showing off as much as humanly possible. Cause the drop top isn’t making the car any faster.

That’s just my take on them at least.
    F1 car is a convertible isn’t it?

I agree though, if you’re looking for outright performance, convertible isn’t the way to go (with a few exceptions). I was never looking for outright performance with convertibles (M3 was brutal around the corners), not was I trying to be a narcissistic douchebag even though I clearly looked like one. The fun factor in a convertible is from the wind, the sound of the exhaust, tires... makes driving 8/10ths around a corner feel like 11/10ths. You have a well balanced car, it’s a ton of fun. Just another dimension in the driving experience.

My SLK32 on R compounds was probably the most balanced and fun convertible I’ve owned/driven. The HPF M3 at 260km/h top down was pretty entertaining too haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

rage...these have just started to hit dealers...

pretty impressive. although really more of a t-top in terms of open air

My Ride
    4x4

Depends on your motoring preference.

I make no excuses I like British Racing Green, I am only too happy to put up with lucas's patent on the short circuit... I like old British convertibles. Top down, radio off, 1.5L of dual carbed goodness.

And apparently I'm old now. Dunno what it is - they're impractical, kinda useless for anything but fair weather cruising... But they're so fun to toss around the curves out in the mountains preferably on #3 since #2 is too straight now...

But there's a je ne sais quois...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Convertibles are fun, I definitely loved my S2000 way more than my BRZ and part of that really did come down to the convertible vs not. It gets even more fun when you remove the doors and windshield.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

I love convertibles! especially when it is a mid/rear engine v8/v10! the sounds that come into the cabin are pure bliss! yes, it can get hot, and yes, it can be kinda douchey. but that's what window tint is for lol. the trade off between performance at 10/10th's is totally worth it, especially because we don't have a track in town, and to drive a lot of them at 10/10th's in the city isn't possible in any way.

My Ride
    Bicycle

124 Abarth can be tuned to ~200HP/200lbft of torque and 0-60 mid 5s.

That has me looking latest for something more raw and the MX-5 wasn't my style.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-29-2018 at 08:17 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

I’m firmly in the same camp as infamous. 99 of 100 people, even on this forum, don’t have the skill to drive most cars at 10/10ths… and those that do probably rarely do it on the road in the city. Given that I am part of that 99/100, the small decrease in performance during spirited driving is well worth the open-air experience. Driving a small convertible is the closest feeling to being on a motorcycle I’ve had without actually having to be on a motorcycle. I’m actually toying with the idea of picking up an S2K, since I didn’t take my car out of the garage between Nov and April this year… might as well get an actual summer car, right?

My parents have a Miata at their place in the states and they love it. My dad likes the raw driving experience, go-kart feel. He said the same thing as I did about getting some of the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle but with hugely increased practicality and safety. They’re actually thinking about buying another one for their place here since they like it so much.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    F1 car is a convertible isn’t it?

I agree though, if you’re looking for outright performance, convertible isn’t the way to go (with a few exceptions). I was never looking for outright performance with convertibles (M3 was brutal around the corners), not was I trying to be a narcissistic douchebag even though I clearly looked like one. The fun factor in a convertible is from the wind, the sound of the exhaust, tires... makes driving 8/10ths around a corner feel like 11/10ths. You have a well balanced car, it’s a ton of fun. Just another dimension in the driving experience.

My SLK32 on R compounds was probably the most balanced and fun convertible I’ve owned/driven. The HPF M3 at 260km/h top down was pretty entertaining too haha.
    In all honesty I have always been very clear about my disdain for convertibles, despite my owning one

What was Jordan’s line? Happy wife happy life? Haha

I have toyed with buying my mother-in-law’s M6 vert and importing it though. But it fits the cruiser/GT case a bit better, that V10 is mostly all show anyways. It really isn’t any more or less practical than the C63 though so it’s tough to justify owning it. What I actually need is a winter beater lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast