The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread - Page 62 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 62 of 87 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1736

Thread: The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not really any more expensive than 7.1.

Any modern receiver can handle it now. As for how much to spend on speakers that’s a massive rabbit hole.

I don’t even have height channels installed yet and using cheap energy speakers and the effect is still really cool.
    This. I use cheap speakers. It works very well with subs filling in the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Should I be looking at liquidating all my Cineplex stocks? lol
    That’s an interesting question. Black Widow certainly would’ve done better in theaters if it wasn’t for COVID. That said Disney Plus numbers were actually quite good, $60m take, although that won’t grow much beyond that. It’s not big enough of a pie yet to transition from theater to home releases, and depending on number crunchers figuring out how much theater receipts that $60m D+ cost, we may not even see simultaneous releases like this again, which would be a shame.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Number crunchers figuring out how much theater receipts that $60m D+ cost, we may not even see simultaneous releases like this again, which would be a shame.
    My colleague is a family of 3 and stayed in for D+ but would have spent at least $60 in tickets vs $35. Now if D+ account sharing is as high as Netflix, then it's another 30% ticket revenue wiped off. So $78 vs $35. By that stats, say keep it simple of 2:1, $60M on D+ would have been $120M in worldwide tickets gone.

But the biggest lost would be pirating. High quality rip basically showed up within 24hrs. By amount of reviews, everyone in China has seen the movie and bootlegs already start to show up in European streets so it gotta take down at least $200-300m earning potential. Simu release like this will never happen again.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But notably D+ take is literally pure profit which ticket sales are not.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Speaking of atmos, how well do the upfiring soundbars work these days? I’ve been on the fence for a while now but this came up on sale and looks like a pretty good system for the price. Thoughts?

https://www.costco.ca/lg-sn7y-3.1.2-...100736321.html

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    My colleague is a family of 3 and stayed in for D+ but would have spent at least $60 in tickets vs $35. Now if D+ account sharing is as high as Netflix, then it's another 30% ticket revenue wiped off. So $78 vs $35. By that stats, say keep it simple of 2:1, $60M on D+ would have been $120M in worldwide tickets gone.

But the biggest lost would be pirating. High quality rip basically showed up within 24hrs. By amount of reviews, everyone in China has seen the movie and bootlegs already start to show up in European streets so it gotta take down at least $200-300m earning potential. Simu release like this will never happen again.
    I don't think you can make a straight dollar comparison between D+ and theatre ticket sales. In my case, we're a family of 6... We pretty regularly watch first releases on Disney for $35, but might go to a theatre a couple times a year... And it's not just the cost, but the logistics of getting snacks, seats, bathroom, etc... It's a giant pain. In our case, not releasing at home will cost them because they'll get $0 instead of $35.

My Ride
    Bicycle

But notably D+ take is literally pure profit which ticket sales are not.
    Disney is still whole. They asked for 52% split, so it's the theaters that missed out on $60M+consession

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I don't think you can make a straight dollar comparison between D+ and theatre ticket sales. In my case, we're a family of 6... We pretty regularly watch first releases on Disney for $35, but might go to a theatre a couple times a year... And it's not just the cost, but the logistics of getting snacks, seats, bathroom, etc... It's a giant pain. In our case, not releasing at home will cost them because they'll get $0 instead of $35.
    Now we are getting into the logic of does pirating really hurt the industry argument. As in do you count lost sales if they weren't there 1st place.

May take another weeks before more numbers rolls in but Black Widow has the highest 1st to 2nd day ticket drop of all MCU movies. How much of that is D+? How much of that is COVID (spacing is still there in theatres)?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-13-2021 at 02:50 PM.

My Ride
    ute

I just bought a bulb for my 2016 sony 4k projector. In the next couple of years, I'm going to upgrade to a 4k laser projector.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Projector? What is this the 90’s?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    What would be the cost for a decent atmos set up?
    As little or as much as you want to spend, the bigger difference is whether you go simulated Atmos (i.e. sound bar), bounced/reflective Atmos, height channel Atmos, or in-ceiling atmos. Those are in order from worst to best and not every receiver can handle the simulations for the less ideal placements. The surround/Atmos speakers themselves don't need to be anything special as they are just going to be playing effects for the most part. Your center channel and sub still do the overwhelming majority of the work in a typical movie so that is what you should prioritize from a speaker standpoint. Most people have way too small of a sub for their room either because they don't want to pay up for a good one or they don't like the aesthetics of a large sub. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but what I always tell people is to never pay for anything in HT that you can't notice yourself (even if someone else can), because things can get out of control easily.

Every half decent receiver handles Atmos now days but what you need to make sure is if it can power enough channels for your particular Atmos setup (5.1.2 is minimum, 5.1.4 is quite a lot better). After that, the next most important thing is the quality of the room correction. Room correction, sub calibration, and room treatments are all exponentially more important than just buying better speakers. A set of cheap speakers set up properly will sound way better than a much more expensive system with no calibration or terrible room acoustics.

If you ever want a demo I have a proper 10 channel Atmos setup, just shoot me a PM.

Re: Theater experience - it has been pretty terrible compared to even a modest HT for at least a decade now, longer if you had a dedicated projector/HT setup, so if people are still going to movies today, they will probably keep going to movies haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Speaking of atmos, how well do the upfiring soundbars work these days? I’ve been on the fence for a while now but this came up on sale and looks like a pretty good system for the price. Thoughts?

https://www.costco.ca/lg-sn7y-3.1.2-...100736321.html
    It is the cheapest way to do Atmos and not very good IMO, but it completely depends on your personal threshold of "good enough". That particular soundbar also has no rear channels and only 2 Atmos channels. The quality of the Atmos simulation greatly depends on the acoustics of your room because soundbars either have no room correction or bad room correction (compared to a decent receiver). The advantage of course is you don't need physical speakers in Atmos locations.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Disney is still whole. They asked for 52% split, so it's the theaters that missed out on $60M+consession

Now we are getting into the logic of does pirating really hurt the industry argument. As in do you count lost sales if they weren't there 1st place.

May take another weeks before more numbers rolls in but Black Widow has the highest 1st to 2nd day ticket drop of all MCU movies. How much of that is D+? How much of that is COVID (spacing is still there in theatres)?
    I wasn't addressing pirating at all... My argument is that simultaneous (or very soon after) release on D+ may actually be a bonus to the bottom line, rather than hurt it.

I don't know anything about the model, but if what you're saying about the split is accurate, I'd see no reason for them to drop the home releases as there doesn't seem to be a downside and they're surely capturing a non-insignificant segment of the "not going to theatres anyways" crowd, especially in a post-Covid world.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I just bought a bulb for my 2016 sony 4k projector. In the next couple of years, I'm going to upgrade to a 4k laser projector.
    It'll still look like ass. Our CEO has an expensive 4K Sony laser projector that's supposed to do HDR, it's still ass compared to TVs. I guess Sony does have a 10k lumens projector out this year, which gives you what 600 nits peak? But it costs $100k or something stupid. You can go one step down, for $80k or so, and get the 5000k lumens model that'll match The Samsung TU7000.

Projector? What is this the 90’s?
    Forgive him, Buster's a size queen.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

It'll still look like ass. Our CEO has an expensive 4K Sony laser projector that's supposed to do HDR, it's still ass compared to TVs. I guess Sony does have a 10k lumens projector out this year, which gives you what 600 nits peak? But it costs $100k or something stupid. You can go one step down, for $80k or so, and get the 5000k lumens model that'll match The Samsung TU7000.

Forgive him, Buster's a size queen.
    It's not like I have only one TV.

Also: show me a 135" TV, and then we'll talk. Laser engines are getting pretty good. Unless you have a ton ambient light to deal with, why would you possibly want to huddle a bunch of people around a 70" TV?

This is what I see when I see people watching movies on a 75" TV:

Name:  presidential-communication-gettyimages-50597901.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  104.4 KB

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I mean, you are getting on in the years.

fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm about 12-14 feet from my 65" and it is too damn small! I want a 75 but fear it will be too small even.

Yea according to rtings I should have an 85".
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 07-13-2021 at 10:48 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I'm about 12-14 feet from my 65" and it is too damn small! I want a 75 but fear it will be too small even.

Yea according to rtings I should have an 85".
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship
    "Smaller is better"

-Beyond

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    "Smaller is better"

-Beyond
    Screen size is just a single metric in the whole visual experience. Rich colors, bright highlights, life like sharpness all adds to the immersion of movies. If you only care about a single metric, and ok with ignoring everything else, I’m surprised you haven’t bought a Tesla, which excels at offering that partial experience.

My Ride
    ute

Screen size is just a single metric in the whole visual experience. Rich colors, bright highlights, life like sharpness all adds to the immersion of movies. If you only care about a single metric, and ok with ignoring everything else, I’m surprised you haven’t bought a Tesla, which offers that partial experience.
    How dare you!

My Ride
    *The First*

Gettin Spicy!!

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Gettin Spicy!!
    I'm fixing to delete my account.

Page 62 of 87 FirstFirst ... 52 61 62 63 72 ... LastLast