Quantcast
Westjet sold to Onex corporation - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Westjet sold to Onex corporation

My Ride
    Pushbroom

It’ll be interesting to see how this ties in with the Transat deal. AC might swoop in and buy them up for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't need an analyst for that. They charge nearly identical fares as Air Canada, but have much less quality of service.
    I'm curious what metrics you use to rank "service"?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I'm curious what metrics you use to rank "service"?
    Exactly my thought. Try to change a flight or have a flight cancellation/delay and Air Canada's service is to put their finger up your butt!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see how this ties in with the Transat deal. AC might swoop in and buy them up for sure now.
    And...
    They just did!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    Exactly my thought. Try to change a flight or have a flight cancellation/delay and Air Canada's service is to put their finger up your butt!
    Wait, are you saying they have good service or bad service? Now I'm confused.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I recently got a westjet cc as I’ve been travelling a lot more lately, curious how this will change

The schedule of my most recent trip changed, westjet didn’t charge any fees or charges to change things around
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Wait, are you saying they have good service or bad service? Now I'm confused.
    Hahaha!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    And...
    They just did!
    Goodbye cheap club class seats. Hello free club class seats for AC status members haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Buy a Flex fare instead of a Tango class fare then.. How is that AC's fault? Free changes and cancellations with Flex.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Never had a problem - and I am a FF - with status. I dont call the plebian phone line for reservations, I call their '912' line (for status holders) for help .... lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Buy a Flex fare instead of a Tango class fare then.. How is that AC's fault? Free changes and cancellations with Flex.
    Flex has discounted fees. Have to go latitude to get no fee. But your point stands, WestJet is the exact same deal. Basic doesn't allow changes/cancellations, Econo has a fee, EconoFlex has discounted fee.

People just need to read wtf they're buying instead of just selecting the lowest price, hear stuff like this all the time. Shop for tickets somewhere, WestJet is out of Basic and cheapest fare is Econo. AC still has basic on sale and is cheaper, buy AC for savings. Emergency comes up, need to change/cancel, not allowed? AC sucks. Other way around, AC only has Latitude left, so $$$. WestJet has Econo as cheapest. Emergency comes up, need to change cancel, WestJet rocks, they went above and beyond to change my flights because of my emergency for a small fee!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I'm talking about not honouring requirements out of their own tariff or by the Montreal convention. It doesn't help that the latest air traveler rights bill was a joke. You get much better treatment in the US and way better in Europe with airlines having to be more responsible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Never had a problem - and I am a FF - with status. I dont call the plebian phone line for reservations, I call their '912' line (for status holders) for help .... lol

I get it. when you have status with an airline you get much netter service. i'm at a gold level with United for the last couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Flex has discounted fees. Have to go latitude to get no fee. But your point stands, WestJet is the exact same deal. Basic doesn't allow changes/cancellations, Econo has a fee, EconoFlex has discounted fee.

People just need to read wtf they're buying instead of just selecting the lowest price, hear stuff like this all the time. Shop for tickets somewhere, WestJet is out of Basic and cheapest fare is Econo. AC still has basic on sale and is cheaper, buy AC for savings. Emergency comes up, need to change/cancel, not allowed? AC sucks. Other way around, AC only has Latitude left, so $$$. WestJet has Econo as cheapest. Emergency comes up, need to change cancel, WestJet rocks, they went above and beyond to change my flights because of my emergency for a small fee!

I never buy the basic fair. What I was relating to was the Airline's responsibility to get you to your destination in a timely matter when the delays are their fault. Their own tariffs outline these obligations but getting Air Canada to follow them is brutal.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

This was an out for the execs. That's it.

WJA is going to have a huge liability on their balance sheet from the acquisition.

Onex will suck the cash out.

Well, it was nice having two airlines again in Canada.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Qft

Only wheel you ever hear is the squeaky one.

Dozens of flights that go without a hitch, very unmemorable.

The time something off happens, that’s all you will remember about the trip.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I never buy the basic fair. What I was relating to was the Airline's responsibility to get you to your destination in a timely matter when the delays are their fault. Their own tariffs outline these obligations but getting Air Canada to follow them is brutal.
    My point is, it's all anecdotal. AC, WestJet, they're at the mercy of seat availability for handling delays and cancellations. Just do a google for both, and you'll find nightmare stories of both airlines in these situations. I mean if we want to go anecdotal, I've had 2 cancellations in all my flights, one they got me on a train to get me to my destination same day instead of 4 days later (no status at the time), and the recent one earlier this year they put me on the next flight in business as that's all they had for free seats (have status). I'm sure if I have a cancellation now with the Max 8's grounded, it'll be a lot more difficult to manage and you'll hear me whining about it haha.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

My point is, it's all anecdotal. AC, WestJet, they're at the mercy of seat availability for handling delays and cancellations. Just do a google for both, and you'll find nightmare stories of both airlines in these situations. I mean if we want to go anecdotal, I've had 2 cancellations in all my flights, one they got me on a train to get me to my destination same day instead of 4 days later (no status at the time), and the recent one earlier this year they put me on the next flight in business as that's all they had for free seats (have status). I'm sure if I have a cancellation now with the Max 8's grounded, it'll be a lot more difficult to manage and you'll hear me whining about it haha.

I get it. Although I had had better luck with Westjet the blurry lines between the two airlines is almost non-existent today. I've had no problems with these sort of things with United, Deltas or American.

Yep, was in Arizona when the snow storm hit here so we couldn't fly home. With the Max 8's being grounded it was a disaster getting home.

You could argue all day about flight delays and changing flights. Sure WJ is better in those regards, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story. I was more curious about actual service though. What about AC is considered better service? Anytime I've had to fly with them the service staff was generally a bunch of grouchy old bitches.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What about AC is considered better service? Anytime I've had to fly with them the service staff was generally a bunch of grouchy old bitches.
    In economy? Nothing. Seriously, both AC and WJ are pretty much the same, to the point when WJ started charging for checked baggage, AC followed their footsteps within a week. WJ is still a few % cheaper on price than AC where they have the same routes for the same booking class, AC business class trumps WJ (although WJ is slowly catching up), and AC is way better for frequent flyers especially internationally with their partners.

I fly a lot, I've had cheery and bitchy attendants on both. Although to be fair, I've only had the singing ones on WJ, but I wouldn't choose what airline to fly based on singing haha.

My Ride
    ute

People bitch and moan about which airline in Canada is better - but neglect to complain about the capital controls on airlines that stifle competition in this country

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast