Quantcast
Bill C48 - Senate vote - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bill C48 - Senate vote

Default Bill C48 - Senate vote

Last edited by phreezee; 05-15-2019 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

"defeated" is rhe wrong word. More like not yet approved.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Still SMH that Vancouver/the coast is so opposed to oil tankers yet they are perfectly okay with exporting more coal than anywhere else in North America.

Hopefully the senate’s recommendation holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "defeated" is rhe wrong word. More like not yet approved.
    oops, read Kenney's tweet, you are right. Edited the title.

Very pleased that the Senate Transport Committee has voted to defeat the Trudeau Tanker Ban Bill C-48.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

What the - since when are OG restrictive bills 'defeated' in fliberal Canada? Maybe Notley finally got us the 'social license' perhaps?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Still SMH that Vancouver/the coast is so opposed to oil tankers yet they are perfectly okay with exporting more coal than anywhere else in North America.

The sick irony of them opposing oil tankers, is that they oppose it on the basis that it is harmful to marine life......................... But they're totally cool with whale watching tours that are deemed to be more detrimental to marine life than oil tankers are. Just nothing but rank hypocrisy. It's fine to fuck with Alberta's economy, as long as it doesn't effect BC's economy.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    The sick irony of them opposing oil tankers, is that they oppose it on the basis that it is harmful to marine life......................... But they're totally cool with whale watching tours that are deemed to be more detrimental to marine life than oil tankers are. Just nothing but rank hypocrisy. It's fine to fuck with Alberta's economy, as long as it doesn't effect BC's economy.
    Salmon farming hurts environment way more than any oil tanker did in the last decade.

For once the Senate proves its worth. I know it was just a comittee recommendation, but how likely is it that this entire bill is killed? There's also C69 to worry about too, hope that one sees the same fate as this one

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    For once the Senate proves its worth. I know it was just a comittee recommendation, but how likely is it that this entire bill is killed? There's also C69 to worry about too, hope that one sees the same fate as this one
    About 0%. Especially if the Libs are re-elected in October.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    There's also C69 to worry about too, hope that one sees the same fate as this one
    And that's the one that is really going to screw over any development across the entire country.

What a nonsense bill. The West coast needs a tanker ban to protect its "pristine" coastline - well what about the East coast, where little Justin has hundreds of thousands of Saudi oil being offloaded weekly by...tankers! Typical liberal leftist hypocrisy in action.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post

Someone should push to amend the bill to add coal ban to it for environmental reasons .... that’d have it killed for sure

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    What a nonsense bill. The West coast needs a tanker ban to protect its "pristine" coastline - well what about the East coast, where little Justin has hundreds of thousands of Saudi oil being offloaded weekly by...tankers! Typical liberal leftist hypocrisy in action.
    This bill is all about throwing BC a bone before they go full nutter and votes Green into the Fed gov.

6-6 Vote, but still defeated. Too close.
    https://business.financialpost.com/p...ation-not-dead

My Ride
    ute

I wonder if the numbers have a Green/Liberal coalition possible in October.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I wonder if the numbers have a Green/Liberal coalition possible in October.
    Federally? No.
    Name:  Federal Quebec polls 20190514.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  51.3 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...a-began-to-win

Damn, it actually worked.

The protests, the outrage, the valid cries of discrimination against Alberta — they turned the Senate of Canada around.
    Overnight, one Senate committee voted to kill Bill C-48, the so-called tanker ban; and another committee accepted Bill C-69, but apparently with all the crucial amendments demanded by both industry and the Alberta government.
    “A very good 12 hours for Alberta,” said Sen. Doug Black, who has worked furiously to stop these bills from literally shattering Alberta’s energy industry.

Premier Jason Kenney claimed his share of the credit Thursday, pointing out that within three hours of being sworn in he testified to the Senate committee hearings on Bill C-48.
    Then he went to Ottawa and told the committee on Bill C-69, which would regulate all big resource projects, that this crisis could become a genuine threat to national unity.

Rachel Notley had a major impact, too.
    As Kenney’s predecessor, she called the tanker bill “a stampede of stupid” and urged senators: “Toss C-48 in the garbage where it belongs.” Those lines are still repeated in the Senate.
    But while Notley pressed the case with genuine force, I’m not sure she alarmed the more ossified federal specimens.
    With his hotter rhetoric and vows to retaliate, Kenney did begin to genuinely worry the Trudeau Liberals and their proxies.
    They know he has firm conservative allies in at least five other provinces. They realize that under sufficient provocation, Kenney will cut oil shipments to east and west.
    And, as the premier said Thursday, if the Liberals still fight for C-48 and the original C-69, they will be credibly accused in the fall election of killing jobs and prosperity.

But this is not over.
    The full Senate still has to endorse the committee recommendation to drop Bill C-48. That vote will come after the Senate reconvenes May 27.
    Kenney launched his own lobbying campaign, saying he will write to all senators urging them to back the committee decision. He will try to pull all six Alberta senators into line at a lunch meeting next week.
    The federal government will employ the usual arm-twisting among senators, especially the so-called independents who were appointed by the Liberals.
    But the Trudeau crew have to ask themselves — how would it look for senators to overturn the verdict of their own committee?
    Dictatorial, that’s how.

Bill C-69 is more complicated. It will go back to the House of Commons with 195 amendments. That alone shows what a mess this legislation was.
    Black is optimistic but says he’ll spend the weekend talking to stakeholders and studying amendments. “The test is whether the bill as amended will bring investment back to Canada.”
    The tanker bill drama Wednesday night turned on Paula Simons, the former Postmedia columnist who has been a Trudeau-appointed senator only since last October.
    Aware that the bill is deeply damaging to Alberta, Simons nonetheless tried to find some compromise that would make it work.
    She also abstained from approving several unamended clauses. Her tactics deeply annoyed Conservative senators like Manitoba’s Don Plett, who simply wanted the bill killed.

They were starting to see Simons as a Trudeau sellout looking for a way to approve C-48.
    As the final vote neared, Plett said to Simon:
    “If the good senator across is concerned about her province as she says she is, she could at least at this committee stop this bill from passing … instead she abstains, and then says she wants to help Albertans.”
    He even tweeted his contempt. The hostility was remarkable.
    With cool sarcasm, Simon thanked Plett for his sage advice.
    She was last in the alphabetical voting order. Everyone in the room knew it was a dead heat. Bill C-48 would live or die by one word from the rookie.

"No,” Simons said.

And at that dramatic moment, quite possibly, Alberta began to win this fight.