Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My XTR is a 11 speed, and the GX is Eagle... but I've heard Shimano is going down this way as well with their latest lineup and I've heard nothing but great things bout Deore and SLX... to the point where guys in the bike shop are like: SLX is every bit as good as XT/XTR, in the way GX is the same to XO/XO1
    The only reason I built my TB with XT was that the upcharge was so small from SLX. The double upshift on the XT shifter was a bonus that the SLX and Deore didn't have. I'd be happy with Deore.

GX on the Nomad is ok and I would never go higher in the range. The price jump is massive between GX and X01. I did go with the X01 chain at replacement time because of the oil slick color and it was only $20 more than the GX chain. An X01 cassette is double the cost of a GX cassette that works just fine.

The shitty part about NX and SX is that it's built for a different hub driver. NX is some Shimano standard where as GX and above are XD. I am not fussed about the smallest tooth being 10 or 11, it's the compatibility.

Divinci Alu is stil made in Chicoutimi and I would say that they did have a number of bikes in the past that were "budget" friendly in the way Cannondale is, but have always made some of the most robust frames in the market.

With the DW-link 4 bar and Split Pivot designs, and super chunky frame design (Alu or Carbon) they are bikes that like being ridden hard, as the platform is very linear without harsh bottomout but really don't have tons of small bump compliance.

I would say Divinci is a true Canadian boutique bike in the way IBIS/YETI are... The only thing is, I don't find them to be quite as "progressive", as they seem to hang back a year or two to see who is adding more reach, STA etc..

Now SRAM vs. Shimano?? - I run XTR mech on my Stumpy, and GX on my Divinci Django.

Not going to lie and though I know the XTR is lighter, the GX has better engagement to me... much better

Brake wise I run XT on the Stumpy with Guide REs on the Django, and both with metalic pads. My XT are not 4 pot, so both are comparable, and I'd say theyare equitable with maybe a bit better Ergo going to Shimano.

Personally I love how SRAM GX is the "flag-ship" without the flagship price. Identical function/design to X0/X01 just without the carbon bits.

My XTR is a 11 speed, and the GX is Eagle... but I've heard Shimano is going down this way as well with their latest lineup and I've heard nothing but great things bout Deore and SLX... to the point where guys in the bike shop are like: SLX is every bit as good as XT/XTR, in the way GX is the same to XO/XO1
    Thanks.

Yeah I heard they get their aluminum from the Alcan plant, same as the tin foil haha. Not sure if they do their carbon in Canada or not though as I think Taiwan is the go-to place for that.

I have read the rear suspension design is extremely progressive, coil friendly, and with a "bottomless" feel. Sounds perfect to me. I've seen several people switch to coils though so hopefully it's not too progressive for an air shock.

The 2021-22 Troy seems to be up to date with all the modern geo, as best I can tell anyway. They have a 77.5 / 65 STA/HTA, flip chip geo adjustment, wider 34.9mm seat post, size-specific chain stay lengths, internal cables etc. I am not sure what it's missing but it seems to be fairly up to date.

Good news on the GX. I have read similar comments that SRAM has a more "confident" or "deliberate" feel to the shifting though maybe not as smooth as Shimano. And yeah, to your point, that is another comment I have come across several times now - all the Shimano stuff pretty well shifts the same, it's just weight that you pay for. Sounds like SRAM is similar at least GX and up. I have been on 4 different Deore rental bikes now and IMO it was good, but nothing special. It still didn't like shifting under load, which I don't normally do but I tested out of curiosity. I think it's great Deore is as good as it is though for the more budget friendly bikes - you don't need to worry about having to live with a garbage drivetrain anymore.

I'm about 90% sold on the Troy GX Carbon/alu combo. Just trying to do my last bits of due diligence.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^^where did you rent the instinct? Was it a 27.5 or a 29?

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    ^^^where did you rent the instinct? Was it a 27.5 or a 29?
    It's actually a 2021 Thunderbolt that I keep renting - Canmore Nordic center, $75/day. 27.5". They also have Instincts for $95 that I might try next time I go, but they are 27.5's as well so I *think* they are still the 2020 models and they were overhauled for 2021. The only 2021 Instinct you can buy in 27.5 is XS or S, the rest are 29ers. I suppose I should call them and ask because if their website is wrong and it's a 2021 Instinct, I can at least try out one of the two bikes I'm considering. The Troy seems like better value though with better components and a carbon frame.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-10-2021 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah GF is in the same boat and that’s where I thought you went but saw it’s the A50 in a 27.5 and that doesn’t help her… want to find a 29er for her to try out so she can at least make a wheel size decision.

We actually went by the bike shop to checkout the 2021 A30 they had in stock… it sold that morning. Sigh… haha.

Yeah GF is in the same boat and that’s where I thought you went but saw it’s the A50 in a 27.5 and that doesn’t help her… want to find a 29er for her to try out so she can at least make a wheel size decision.

We actually went by the bike shop to checkout the 2021 A30 they had in stock… it sold that morning. Sigh… haha.
    I'm getting a hitch installed today and I've ordered one of those Swagman bike racks - Bow Cycle has a pretty diverse bike rental selection and I was planning on grabbing a 29er from there to try for a day myself. I have ridden 29ers before and wasn't the biggest fan but that was on old geo - nowdays it's almost impossible to find a bike that isn't 29" unless XS or S.

The Nordic Center is free with a Kananaskis pass too which is great.

The Bike Shop has been so good to me I almost feel bad for buying a different bike, but the Troy just seems to offer a lot more value for the dollar the more I look at it. When I was there last week they had an A30 that I sat on but it was XL. It was sold already so it may have been the same bike haha. They told me they had a 2021 Altitude in stock but I forget what model it was and that's more of an Enduro bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah I heard they get their aluminum from the Alcan plant, same as the tin foil haha. Not sure if they do their carbon in Canada or not though as I think Taiwan is the go-to place for that.

I have read the rear suspension design is extremely progressive, coil friendly, and with a "bottomless" feel. Sounds perfect to me. I've seen several people switch to coils though so hopefully it's not too progressive for an air shock.

The 2021-22 Troy seems to be up to date with all the modern geo, as best I can tell anyway. They have a 77.5 / 65 STA/HTA, flip chip geo adjustment, wider 34.9mm seat post, size-specific chain stay lengths, internal cables etc. I am not sure what it's missing but it seems to be fairly up to date.

Good news on the GX. I have read similar comments that SRAM has a more "confident" or "deliberate" feel to the shifting though maybe not as smooth as Shimano. And yeah, to your point, that is another comment I have come across several times now - all the Shimano stuff pretty well shifts the same, it's just weight that you pay for. Sounds like SRAM is similar at least GX and up. I have been on 4 different Deore rental bikes now and IMO it was good, but nothing special. It still didn't like shifting under load, which I don't normally do but I tested out of curiosity. I think it's great Deore is as good as it is though for the more budget friendly bikes - you don't need to worry about having to live with a garbage drivetrain anymore.

I'm about 90% sold on the Troy GX Carbon/alu combo. Just trying to do my last bits of due diligence.
    if I were looking at that All Mountain bike, I'd say Troy is definately a contender... I myself definately prefer Split Pivot to what I road out of VPP (Santa Cruz) and horst link 4 bar, or Maestro. That said, I really do like Specialized Enduro and SB150... and surprisingly better than the Megatower/Nomad

I really would love to try out the highpivot Norco Range though...

My Ride
    ute

I'm getting a hitch installed today and I've ordered one of those Swagman bike racks - Bow Cycle has a pretty diverse bike rental selection and I was planning on grabbing a 29er from there to try for a day myself. I have ridden 29ers before and wasn't the biggest fan but that was on old geo - nowdays it's almost impossible to find a bike that isn't 29" unless XS or S.

The Nordic Center is free with a Kananaskis pass too which is great.

The Bike Shop has been so good to me I almost feel bad for buying a different bike, but the Troy just seems to offer a lot more value for the dollar the more I look at it. When I was there last week they had an A30 that I sat on but it was XL. It was sold already so it may have been the same bike haha. They told me they had a 2021 Altitude in stock but I forget what model it was and that's more of an Enduro bike.
    Mullet is the way

if I were looking at that All Mountain bike, I'd say Troy is definately a contender... I myself definately prefer Split Pivot to what I road out of VPP (Santa Cruz) and horst link 4 bar, or Maestro. That said, I really do like Specialized Enduro and SB150... and surprisingly better than the Megatower/Nomad

I really would love to try out the highpivot Norco Range though...
    Well that's good to hear. It seems like the "beefiest" AM/Trail bike before getting into Enduro territory, which is what I set out to find in the first place. I like that it's made in Canada and I like the value proposition. I also prefer the look to the Rocky but aesthetics are a secondary considertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Mullet is the way
    Even on a trail bike? I see that a lot on the DH/Enduro side of things so I assumed it was more to keep the front end higher while descending. I like the idea of it though.

My Ride
    ute

Well that's good to hear. It seems like the "beefiest" AM/Trail bike before getting into Enduro territory, which is what I set out to find in the first place. I like that it's made in Canada and I like the value proposition. I also prefer the look to the Rocky but aesthetics are a secondary considertion.

Even on a trail bike? I see that a lot on the DH/Enduro side of things so I assumed it was more to keep the front end higher while descending. I like the idea of it though.
    No it's too get better geometry in the rear

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, the instinct at the bike shop was on layaway till recently… finally was available and boom, gone… too bad, cause we’re currently on XL Rocky Mountains.. they fit a little smaller than most brands and work well around the 6’ mark. The altitudes are all gone now too. Probably gonna put in a 2022 preorder for an instinct, unless she really doesn’t want a 29er… then it’s up to a thunderbolt (Canmore shop is showing an A30 in a L in stock) or if she wants something with some better components, probably get a canyon spectral with 27.5

No it's too get better geometry in the rear
    Well the Troy is mullet compatible, so that is at least an option for me

I've read they use a super boost hub though which is apparently so rare it's nearly proprietary - not sure how annoying that makes things.

Yeah, the instinct at the bike shop was on layaway till recently… finally was available and boom, gone… too bad, cause we’re currently on XL Rocky Mountains.. they fit a little smaller than most brands and work well around the 6’ mark. The altitudes are all gone now too. Probably gonna put in a 2022 preorder for an instinct, unless she really doesn’t want a 29er… then it’s up to a thunderbolt (Canmore shop is showing an A30 in a L in stock) or if she wants something with some better components, probably get a canyon spectral with 27.5
    They told me the Instincts were expected by Oct/Nov but that's probably too late for riding season anyway. And yeah I rode a large Thunderbolt and I wouldn't want it any smaller, but I think I am a medium in the Troy and my current bike is a medium. Bike sizing is so weird now, and some companies like Specialized make it so nearly anyone can ride any size, the rest is just personal preference.

The A30's have pretty low componentry if I recall - RockShox Gold, resin brakes, etc. Even the A50 doesn't have what you would expect on a ~$6K bike but it's closer.

I saw a couple Canyons on the trails, I thought those would be harder to get in Canada. The tariffs are so high it seems to kill the value proposition of all those European/online brands.

My Ride
    ute

I'm not sure if "compatible" captures the advantages.

I'm not sure if "compatible" captures the advantages.
    All I meant was that as far as I know, it supports a mullet setup if I ever choose to go that route. If I upgrade anything the first season it will probably be a GRIP2 damper or if I break something haha.

All I meant was that as far as I know, it supports a mullet setup if I ever choose to go that route. If I upgrade anything the first season it will probably be a GRIP2 damper or if I break something haha.
    only mullet bikes actually take into consideration the Geo to keep a normal STA though for most boost/superboost you can run 27.5, 27.5+ and 29ers up to 2.6 (maybe 2.8)

I believe the whole point of mullet is not for riding up, but rather the "playfullness" of a smaller tire and short chainstays while you still benefit from a better rolling front end from getting hung up.

Personally... and that's probably because I'm not a rider who can easily scandiflick their bike, I prefer a longer chainstay (i.e. 44x) and 29er with a overall longer bike...

Those who like the long front center but Kona like 427 whippy rear chain stays would prefer a mullet. I think playfullness (agility) vs speed is the compromise

only mullet bikes actually take into consideration the Geo to keep a normal STA though for most boost/superboost you can run 27.5, 27.5+ and 29ers up to 2.6 (maybe 2.8)

I believe the whole point of mullet is not for riding up, but rather the "playfullness" of a smaller tire and short chainstays while you still benefit from a better rolling front end from getting hung up.

Personally... and that's probably because I'm not a rider who can easily scandiflick their bike, I prefer a longer chainstay (i.e. 44x) and 29er with a overall longer bike...

Those who like the long front center but Kona like 427 whippy rear chain stays would prefer a mullet. I think playfullness (agility) vs speed is the compromise

Thanks for the explanation. I mostly see it on DH bikes so I had assumed it was to keep the angle less steep while descending.

Anyone have experience with either of the Calgary Cycles in the city? I live really close to the one on Bow Trail but I got better "sales" service at the one in Canyon Meadows. I'm pretty sure those 2 stores are my only options for ordering a Devinci.

My Ride
    01 i30

Thanks for the explanation. I mostly see it on DH bikes so I had assumed it was to keep the angle less steep while descending.

Anyone have experience with either of the Calgary Cycles in the city? I live really close to the one on Bow Trail but I got better "sales" service at the one in Canyon Meadows. I'm pretty sure those 2 stores are my only options for ordering a Devinci.
    I was going to ask you where you plan to order your Devinci with haha. Cactus Bike and Ski in the SE stocks them too. That is probably who I was going to try and order with. I’m close to Calgary Cycle also but I’ve maybe heard too many bad stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post
    I was going to ask you where you plan to order your Devinci with haha. Cactus Bike and Ski in the SE stocks them too. That is probably who I was going to try and order with. I’m close to Calgary Cycle also but I’ve maybe heard too many bad stories.
    Oh really, good to know - I will stop in there and see how I feel about them.

Bow Trail Calgary Cycle is super convenient because I live really close by, but I've spent about half an hour reading Google reviews and most of the bad ones are related to customer service and really crappy service jobs which makes me nervous. I did talk to one guy there who was awesome, but I haven't seen him since. The other few people I dealt with there didn't really seem to care about much. Super nice brand-new store though.

Calgary Cycle 'Pure' in Canyon Meadows seems to be better, I talked with who I am pretty sure was the owner for about 45mins when I was in there and he was extremely patient and helpful. They have a 4.7/5 on Google Reviews and he personally replied to all the negative reviews in a much better manner than the usual canned responses you normally see on there. Almost all the negative ones were related to COVID (not returning voicemails, etc.) rather than actual problems. Seemed like he genuinely wanted to make everyone happy. The store is really small and cramped but that doesn't really affect me haha.

I will check out Cactus. Quite a few long, bad reviews though and no owner responses haha. I like checking out new bike shops so I will go and form my own opinion regardless.

I couldn't even get someone to talk to me at Bow Cycle despite at least 4 employees standing around chatting, so I have no desire to go back there, but they don't carry the brands I want anyway so it's not really an issue.

Lots of people seem to like Ridleys and I did have a good experience there but they sell mostly Trek / Ibis.

I actually know the owners of Pedalhead personally, but they only sell Giant and Scott. Super awesome guys there, and honest. I will likely service my bike there regardless unless I get some sort of free tune-up plan with my purchase (I believe Calgary Cycle does this).

I am mostly concerned about post-purchase service and having my bike built correctly as well as expertise setting the suspension set up correctly for my weight/riding style.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-10-2021 at 03:04 PM.

I like the guy at Catctus so yeh, forming your own opinion is a good way to go. I did notice that one of the bike shops in Cochrane also had Devinci on their website.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast