Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    ute

This is pure pr stunt. And a good one at that.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is pure pr stunt. And a good one at that.
    Pretty much. If Elon didn't set up his guy to break the window "accidentally", I wouldn't have even heard about this truck. Pure marketing to keep Tesla in the headlines.

What I want to know is how much Nickel is in it. Kitchen sink stainless tends to be Chromium/Molybdenum iron. When you talk "armored" or bullet resistant, you are usually talking nickel (or even cobalt) iron.

Price point is on par with what I would expect for an electric vehicle, especially considering no paint, which is stupendously expensive and stupid on a real work truck that would get a paint chip on the first day.

Combustion engine vehicles have been in a trap of paying extra for extra complexity since the 1960's. If computers evolved at the same rate and same price point, we would still be at the Bill Gates "640KB is enough" personal computer at a price point of around $10,000 each. I blame "patent crazy" USA.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-23-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Well, the windows are vapourware for sure. Elon made sure the whole world saw that, wonder who's heads rolled after that.
    To be fair:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198090787520598016

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    Those are two completely different windows. That was an acrylic/lexan type, while the show window was obviously temper layered (common for BP glass). The outer layer will smash but the inner layers will protect the occupants.

146,000 orders, got to be a few beyonders on that list.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    146,000 orders, got to be a few beyonders on that list.
    You really gotta wonder.
    Marketing genius or embarrassing blunder?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

100 dollar refundable deposit lol

Would love to know the preorder-conversion rate.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Gotta be the first to do this mod. Don't try to stop me.

Name:  nnOVqTa.png
Views: 526
Size:  515.7 KB

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198788116372344832
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-24-2019 at 10:05 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Those are two completely different windows. That was an acrylic/lexan type, while the show window was obviously temper layered (common for BP glass). The outer layer will smash but the inner layers will protect the occupants.
    The theory is micro-fractures from not switching to fresh windows after tossing steel balls at them prior to the show. Who knows.

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

Had a discussion with a family member yesterday about EVs. I spend about $600/month on gas, driving from Calgary to Innisfail and back, M-F (100km each way). I am now on my third vehicle in the last ten years. From our discussions it sounds like we should look into a Model 3 or wait a couple of more years for more options on EVs. I was wondering if I can have some input about reliability and maintenance on these Model 3s. In addition, the glass roof has me concerned with driving on the QEII. Thanks. - JL

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are looking to save money, a cheap beater that gets good fuel economy is going to have you way further ahead for years and years and years. Now if you want a Tesla for OTHER reasons and want to use the fuel savings potential to justify it, then go nuts. They are cool cars.

Are you currently driving that Accord in your profile? How the hell do you spend $600/mo on gas for THAT? You should be getting under 9L/100km on the highway, and fuel is under $1/L, so that's 6700 km/mo?
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by SoSlowDx View Post
    Had a discussion with a family member yesterday about EVs. I spend about $600/month on gas, driving from Calgary to Innisfail and back, M-F (100km each way). I am now on my third vehicle in the last ten years. From our discussions it sounds like we should look into a Model 3 or wait a couple of more years for more options on EVs. I was wondering if I can have some input about reliability and maintenance on these Model 3s. In addition, the glass roof has me concerned with driving on the QEII. Thanks. - JL
    Honestly, it's not as sexy but you might be better off with a Chevy Cruze diesel. 28k out the door and 5.5L/100k on the highway. Assuming 50k kms a year and 1.20$/L that'd be 275$ a month in fuel. It would take over 7 years of fuel to reach roughly what a Tesla would cost. (Technically you'd still be ahead because you have to pay for electricity for the Tesla and the charger.) But then you have a fairly reliable diesel with 350k kms on it versus a relatively unknown long term Tesla with 350k kms on it.

Long term a EV is probably a good idea, but it just might be worth it to take another ~5 years as the EV market is still rapidly improving. Not to mention the standard Tesla is rated for 400kms and you are doing 200 km in a trip. And the batteries do lose capacity in the extreme cold so on a -30 day if it sits outside at work it may be iffy getting home. Telsa says the batteries will still have 70% capacity after 160k kms. But 70% in ideal conditions will be significantly less in cold winter days.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

You should find a Model S that fits your budget that has free supercharging. I don't know if stopping there on the way to work and then the way home is abuse, but that $600 could become $0.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I drove to Van this summer, spent a few days, then went to Kelowna spent a few days all using Tesla superchargers. They email you the receipts so I got a nice tally at the end. $112 for the entire trip. For reliability I have had zero real problems, a few minor things that Tesla took care of. Next year I want to plan a road trip to LA. For those not in the know, if you buy a Tesla, you get a free tour of the Fremont factory which people say is amazing.

My main concern for road tripping is the lack of a spare. You have to rely on Tesla roadside assistance to bail you out if anything happens, apparently its a decent service but still can't be fun.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by supe View Post
    My main concern for road tripping is the lack of a spare. You have to rely on Tesla roadside assistance to bail you out if anything happens, apparently its a decent service but still can't be fun.
    This isn't just a Tesla problem. Tons of new cars have this problem.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Your electricity bill will be 1/4 of gasoline cost. Plus you'll save nearly all maintenance except tires. 400km is base model with RWD. In very cold days you'll likely see max 40% loss in the distance.

A perspective that hasn't been brought up is you're sitting in your car at least 2hrs every day. Test drive a tesla and see how you feel about that. It'll most likely make every other car you've sat in feel outdated.
    Last edited by ragu; 11-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    This and that.

I really wanna hate this truck but for some reason I just can't and almost want to get one. I don't know this strange feeling...it's so messed up.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    A perspective that hasn't been brought up is you're sitting in your car at least 2hrs every day. Test drive a tesla and see how you feel about that. It'll most likely make every other car you've sat in feel outdated.
    Compared to an economy car, sure. The interior is one reason I haven’t gone with a Tesla. I wanna be pampered for my commutes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast