Quantcast
Living off one income question - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Living off one income question

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I DARE you to ask any stay at home mom that......please video tape it for us.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    My wife and I have lived on a single income for the entire 23 years we have been together short of little small periods of time where she has done part time work in a short term temporary capacity. Even when she has made a little income, we have still lived on a lot less than what most people here consider to be "good money" for a single salary.

I definitely don't begrudge anyone who have double incomes but I shake my head when I hear people say they can't make it on what amounts to well over double, or even triple what we have lived on our entire lives, and I don't feel like we have missed out on anything at all. Even if you disregard the massive benefit of having our kids raised in our home by parents who love them and are not paid employees and that have developed into amazing young adults who can look out for themselves and still love their parents and have healthy relationships between themselves, the life we built together on less has been equally fantastic.

Sure some of my buddies have some pretty impressive toys like 6 figure trucks and 50k fishing boats etc, but I still get to the lake with my 40k mid level F150 pulling my 25 year old $1500 tinny but I still outfish every one of those guys! lol! I don't live in a baller mansion but I have a sick property in the forest with a cool old house I am not scared to live in. I have been able to travel and experience amazing places. Basically I get to do all the things that all my double income friends do, I just do it a bit smarter, and if anything, I enjoy it a lot more because it isn't treated like an afterthought.

Money isn't everything and nobody is getting out of here alive, so I would rather focus on family and experience rather than chasing the almighty buck hoping I get to retire and use it. My dad made that gamble and ended up dying of cancer before he got to use all his hard work and missed a ton of his kids growing up. He always used to get down on me and my sister for living in the moment and not planning for the future like he did, but before he died he confided in my mom that he realized to late that maybe he was wrong and that while we maybe don't have as much in the bank, we had something he was never going to have, and that is time with his kids and memories in the bank. That always sticks with me.

In the end, do what you feel necessary, but the best advice is to think about what is actually important to you and commit, no matter what direction you go.
    Quoting because this is epic advice.

Just because the capitalist marketing machine says to work harder and buy more doesn't mean it will result in a happy and fulfilling life.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Quoting because this is epic advice.

Just because the capitalist marketing machine says to work harder and buy more doesn't mean it will result in a happy and fulfilling life.
    It is so true, Im far from the example of frugality but my wife and I definitely are on the low end of consumerism. Especially this time of year with talk of presents and stuff we are so out of the loop with it.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's only been two weeks, but the 25% paycut to work Mon-Fri is already far more life fulfilling than anything I bought with my previous expendable income.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's instructive in organizations that offer the options to "buy" vacation see a pretty large percentage of employees take them up on it. Well, you can "buy time" by changing roles or companies too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

What are CB and MMM? Webcam business?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ask your mom, she's a top earner.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

and thats when the fight started

Making average money and sending kids to Daycare or hiring a nanny... is this a White folk thing? Jesus, Ive never ever been in a daycare in my life. Always at the grandparents. I guess Asians care about their grand kids. I am making 130k and I would still need my partner to work regardless. She can work part time if she wants. It is just healthier for people to get out of the house and exercise the body and the brain.

To make more money is going to be difficult in Alberta. Try subletting parts of your home to help cut living costs. CB on dining out, cook every single meal given the extra time at home. Financial and health benefits, win-win.

But seriously, why cant one person work FT and the other work PT? A few hours a week can still be manageable even with kid(s), no? #whitepeople problems
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    ute

those are oddly (attempted) racist comments. strange.
    Last edited by Buster; 12-18-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    based on your oddly (attempted) racist comments, your kids are probably better off at daycare as much as possible.
    Its a joke. I consider daycare and nannies a luxury. Meaning there are ways around it.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Its a joke. I consider daycare and nannies a luxury. Meaning there are ways around it.
    The true luxury is having Grandparents raising your kids.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Making average money and sending kids to Daycare or hiring a nanny... is this a White folk thing? Jesus, Ive never ever been in a daycare in my life. Always at the grandparents. I guess Asians care about their grand kids. I am making 130k and I would still need my partner to work regardless. She can work part time if she wants. It is just healthier for people to get out of the house and exercise the body and the brain.

To make more money is going to be difficult in Alberta. Try subletting parts of your home to help cut living costs. CB on dining out, cook every single meal given the extra time at home. Financial and health benefits, win-win.

But seriously, why cant one person work FT and the other work PT? A few hours a week can still be manageable even with kid(s), no? #whitepeople problems
    Darell_N's comment answers about the nanny thing. As for your work FT and PT comment. For me and my wife both hold professional 9-5 jobs. Neither of us can do it 'part time'. We would have to 100% change careers, industries, etc. We're both educated in our fields. Isn't that a waste for us to do that? One day our kids won't need us regardless of our work situation. 10 years from now I don't want to be in a career I hate just because I saved on daycare costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The true luxury is having Grandparents raising your kids.
    Fuck right, I'd LOVE if I had my parents take care of my kids. Hell one of my best friends, his MIL lived with him, that seemed like the king shit deal. We consider ourselves lucky that we get 2-3 sleepovers at the grandparents a month so me and the wife can do date night. I have other friends who don't even get that.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 12-18-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Have spawn. Pawn off the responsibility on your parents. Run out on the internet to shit on everyone else for their luxurious lifestyles who find ways to make it work without such charity.

Am I understanding this right?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Trucks

Have spawn. Pawn off the responsibility on your parents. Run out on the internet to shit on everyone else for their luxurious lifestyles who find ways to make it work without such charity.

Am I understanding this right?

My Ride
    ute

seniors are always the best people to take car of little kids that need to be highly active.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

seniors are always the best people to take car of little kids that need to be highly active.
    My in-laws split 2 days each with my kids when my wife and I went on a small vacation. I think we almost killed each of our parents. They stayed home for a week. My MIL didn't even go take care of her horse, pawned if off on my BIL. Hahahaha
    Cos...

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My wife’s parents love taking our kids when they can. The grandad is very active, goes for bike rides, skating, swimming, we are very fortunate. Definitely not the norm from what I have heard from others.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Asians and East Indians operate on a family unit model as the civic institution is the family in those countries. There is no 'I'. It is 'WE' when it comes to decision making.
    Western or white if you want to go down that path operate on individualism, the 'I' is the primary than the 'WE'.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Only works if all parties are i n the same wave length. There is a saying that never get into business with your family. And raising kids is big business.

One of my cousin basically gave up on raising their sons and pawn it off to grandparents. Since his mom is one of those tiger moms and she is ALWAYS right, they don't get to raise them and their son don't see them as authority figures. Ended up with 2 uncontrollable idiot sons and a divorce 15 years later.

I am a firm believer that if you pop them out, you raise them. Grandparents are just more reliable babysitters, nothing more.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast