Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 127 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 127 of 985 FirstFirst ... 117 126 127 128 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do they know the mortality if its not spread to humans yet...
    H5N1 is old news.

From CDC:
    The first report of a human infection with Asian H5N1 in the Americas was in Canada on January 8, 2014 and occurred in a traveler recently returning from China. Although human infections with this virus are rare, approximately 60% of the cases have died.
    We don't have live markets so we are pretty clean here. Only risk will be poultry farm workers.

But eventually you can potentially have a virus that spread like COVID and kills like H5N1. If you believe in Darwin, it's just a matter of time.

Theres nothing to stop people from leaving their home - I just went to westhills to get some prescriptions and there were quite a few people out still.
    And I'm glad we don't have to be draconian like China yet. I had to dash out to grab a new HD from MemX to keep my home NAS going.

But if these idiots keep disobeying the rules, we may have to go there.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-19-2020 at 12:49 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats what Im seeing as well with the actual numbers. The fear narrative/rhetoric being promoted by the mass media (millions of deaths!!!!!!!!!!) does not match the actual numbers.

If we end up with 100 deaths in AB, thats not even news here.

Also, consider how many of these people would have died ANYWAY from Flu or other diseases.
    If changes are not or were not made (shut down international travel, social distance, school closures, etc) then all countries run the risk of the rate of spread (doubling every other day), % require hospitalization (+/- 10%) and similar death rates that Wuhan or Italy has at its peak (wasn't Italy pushing 7-8% the other day).

And even if Italy is all old farts at death rate of 1% is still really, really bad.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats what Im seeing as well with the actual numbers. The fear narrative/rhetoric being promoted by the mass media (millions of deaths!!!!!!!!!!) does not match the actual numbers.

If we end up with 100 deaths in AB, thats not even news here.

Also, consider how many of these people would have died ANYWAY from Flu or other diseases.
    My number of deaths (100ish) were for all of Canada, not just Alberta.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Exploded.

COVID + H5N1

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Good read.... because science?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

Summary below (not my summery, found online), the beyond experts can confirm
    We can now read the Imperial College report on COVID-19 that led to the extreme measures we've seen in the US this week. Read it; it's terrifying. I'll offer a summary in this thread; please correct me if I've gotten it wrong.
    imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial…

The Imperial College team plugged infection and death rates from China/Korea/Italy into epidemic modeling software and ran a simulation: what happens if the US does absolutely nothing -- if we treat COVID-19 like the flu, go about our business, and let the virus take its course?

Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself.

It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die.

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die.

How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust.

Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II.

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing.

This mitigation strategy is what you've seen a lot of people talking about when they say we should "flatten the curve": try to slow the spread of the disease to the people most likely to die from it, to avoid overwhelming hospitals. And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times.

That leaves the actual death toll in the US at right around 2 million deaths. The population of Houston. Two Civil Wars. One-third of the Holocaust. Globally, 45 million people die: 7.5 Holocausts, 3/4 of World War II. That's what happens if we rely on mitigation & common sense.

Finally, the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, assuming a "suppression" strategy: isolate symptomatic cases, quarantine their family members, social distancing for the whole population, all public gatherings/most workplaces shut down, schools and universities close.

Suppression works! The death rate in the US peaks 3 weeks from now at a few thousand deaths, then goes down. We hit but don't exceed the number of available ventilators. The nightmarish death tolls from the rest of the study disappear.
    But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before.
    After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better.

But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen.

How quickly will a vaccine be here? Last week three separate research teams announced they had developed vaccines. Yesterday, one of them (with FDA approval) injected its vaccine into a live person, without waiting for animal testing. That's an extreme measure, but necessary.

Now, though, they have to monitor the test subject for 14 months to make sure the vaccine is safe. This part can't be rushed: if you're going to inoculate all humans, you have to make absolutely sure the vaccine itself won't kill them. It probably won't, but you have to be sure.

Assuming the vaccine is safe and effective, it will still take several months to produce enough to inoculate the global population. For this reason, the Imperial College team estimated it will be about 18 months until the vaccine is available.
    During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low.

It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working. But that's exactly what we're going to have to do.
    I'm not a rocket scientist but seem like a legitimate big deal.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Thanks for posting the summary.

TLDR: These measures will be in place until we develop a vaccine. If we do nothing, US sees 0.9% of the population die just in the current spike, 2.2 Million from the virus on it's own, if we mitigate, half that. If we suppress, must less than that still. This cycle repeats itself in the fall with mitigation, depending on how much we relax things inbetween.

This may last a year.
    Last edited by Cagare; 03-19-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Wrong calculation

My Ride
    06 S2000

How did you find out this information, doesnt seem to be anything on their website about the credit and how dues will work, the "free" lessons on the app seem shit.
    It's literally in the first paragraph?

ALBERTA WE APPRECIATE YOUR LOYALTY #SUPPORTLOCAL
    Move freely from home. Construct a digital gym membership that works for your schedule, budget, and fitness goals. No strings, no distractions, just more momentum for what matters most – you.

For a limited time, members who opt-in and continue with their regular dues will later receive a credit on their account for the full amount, plus 50% of that amount as a bonus credit after we reopen.

For example: If you continue with four bi-weekly payments, we will credit you for the four billing cycles plus an additional two after reopening.

This offer is introduced as an exclusive offer to members who are willing and able to continue with their regular dues while our locations are closed to support our local business and our employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Meh, in the immortal lyrics of Queen. Who wants to live forever? BTW: Does anyone know how to get playback rights at a funeral?
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    https://www.660citynews.com/2020/03/...-for-covid-19/

Also apparently a Filipino returned to Calgary and was advised to isolate but ignored it and travelled to a bunch of stores in the SW, they have now tested positive
    I wonder if they went to Seafood City so they could touch all the fresh seafood and meat to make sure its fresh before buying.
    ---

https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-alberta-statistics.aspx

Great data on the cases in Alberta, including mapping.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I wonder why Calgary has so many more cases than Edmonton?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    International flights coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    More international flights would be my guess.

My Ride
    ute

Family friends were driving back from Arizona yeterday and said that the I-15 looked like a drag race of Alberta plates.

That's a whole lot of COVID cases driving themselves to our communities. My parents took the isolation extremely seriously, but it just takes a small handful of idiots to see the mini explosions occur.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post

This may last a year.
    So you're saying we should buy a years stock of TP ASAP?

So has indias advice of hittin' that cow dookie worked out for them? Still very few numbers there.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    So you're saying we should buy a years stock of TP ASAP?
    Try to get by with 1 ply, will last 2-3x as long.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

1st death in Alberta.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

27 new cases, stream was cut off - first death

I wish they would just start the press conference youtube stream a couple of mins early instead of when its already started.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 03-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Page 127 of 985 FirstFirst ... 117 126 127 128 137 ... LastLast