Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 375 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 375 of 985 FirstFirst ... 365 374 375 376 385 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.
    Buster, I love you and I agree with almost everything you post but I can't agree with this.

The cost of everyone wearing a mask is not zero. While true the financial impact is for all intents & purposes zero (lots of free masks to be had) and there's no physical consequence of wearing a mask for virtually everyone (I don't believe 99% of these people that say claustrophobia) but there IS a cost in the psychological damage done to a generation of people being told they are disease spreading terrorists and they should be afraid of their fellow man. It's not the mask itself but rather the message that mandatory adoption sends that is creating resistance.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    At the very least, I'm hoping this life-changing event teaching kids to not be as disgusting as most adults, and wash their fucking hands regularly, and not coughing/sneezing into other people's direction, like everyone should have been doing their entire lives, but don't.

Offices count as 'indoor space', right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    When this is all over I wonder if there will be any studies on the damage to mental health that has occurred and what the injury / death totals look like from suicides, domestic abuse, addiction issues that? In an average year Alberta loses one person to every 7200 residents to suicide. At this point we're at one death per 25,000 for Covid and those deaths are almost entirely the over age 60 group with the majority being over 80. This overbearing fear narrative WILL scar society for a generation. If you think telling the children of world right now that they have to hide from their friends, be scared to go out and must wear a mask or the Covids will get you won't have a lasting perversion to their personalities then I don't know what to tell you.

There ARE some things kids and people in general need to be scared of, things like poor mental and physical health, a lack of education and of course the NDP (okay, maybe that last one was half joking) but teaching society that the reasonable and measured response to a 1 in 25,000 chance that your 87 year old Grandma is going to die eight months earlier than she would have anyway is baffling. It feels like people continue to push the fear narrative because they just love the drama. I can't find any of these people in real life, why does there seem to be so many of them online?
    Vancouver lost more to Fentanyl during COVID. That's by product of border closure and shortage of supply.
    https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/07/21/...tish-columbia/
    Officials say fentanyl and carfentanil is mixed in with the drug supply by local dealers who may be inexperienced with mixing drugs as border closings and travel restrictions reduce typical supply routes.

My Ride
    ute

When this is all over I wonder if there will be any studies on the damage to mental health that has occurred and what the injury / death totals look like from suicides, domestic abuse, addiction issues that? In an average year Alberta loses one person to every 7200 residents to suicide. At this point we're at one death per 25,000 for Covid and those deaths are almost entirely the over age 60 group with the majority being over 80. This overbearing fear narrative WILL scar society for a generation. If you think telling the children of world right now that they have to hide from their friends, be scared to go out and must wear a mask or the Covids will get you won't have a lasting perversion to their personalities then I don't know what to tell you.

There ARE some things kids and people in general need to be scared of, things like poor mental and physical health, a lack of education and of course the NDP (okay, maybe that last one was half joking) but teaching society that the reasonable and measured response to a 1 in 25,000 chance that your 87 year old Grandma is going to die eight months earlier than she would have anyway is baffling. It feels like people continue to push the fear narrative because they just love the drama. I can't find any of these people in real life, why does there seem to be so many of them online?
    The issue is that we don't have any true data on the endpoint of this thing on a society-wide level. We essentially put ourselves into mini-prisons for at least a couple of months just to barely get it under control. And it was just barely. Exponential growth is the fucking devil: it makes "barely under control" look suspiciously like "not that big of a deal".

The psychological damage/scarring for this generation will be a real thing. Increased suicides will be a real thing. They are also unavoidable things. Most of humanity spent most of its existence being psychologically scarred. It's unrealistic to think that we would skate by without that. Is it more psychologically scarring than the scare mongering over nuclear conflagration that the baby boomers had to live through?

- - - Updated - - -

Buster, I love you and I agree with almost everything you post but I can't agree with this.

The cost of everyone wearing a mask is not zero. While true the financial impact is for all intents & purposes zero (lots of free masks to be had) and there's no physical consequence of wearing a mask for virtually everyone (I don't believe 99% of these people that say claustrophobia) but there IS a cost in the psychological damage done to a generation of people being told they are disease spreading terrorists and they should be afraid of their fellow man. It's not the mask itself but rather the message that mandatory adoption sends that is creating resistance.
    I missed this originally. I agree with you on the damage part - but its the virus causing that damage not the masks.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Is it more psychologically scarring than the scare mongering over nuclear conflagration that the baby boomers had to live through?
    That's a fantastic, relevant comparison!

From what I was told the doctor who spear-headed the mandatory mask movement is a quack that has been banned from Foothills and Peter Laugheed hospitals. Not saying it's necessarily a bad idea (people will be doing the bare minimum regardless of the rules), but the source is apparently rather questionable.

Realistically how bad it would be if I went full "Threes company" on boomerang hotties that are looking for a place to weather out winter 2021. It could be awesome, or literally the worst thing ever. Its not something I'd normally consider ever, but times dictate changes. It feels like kind of a dickwad thing to not let the ladies shack up with me under these circumstances. And yet, it also has slight undertones of creepiness.

I'll wait another month and see what happens.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Maskers..... is everyone washing your hands before you put it on, after you put it on, before you take it off and after you take it off? Serious question. I've only dabbled in mask wearing (where its been mandated) and rather chosen to just avoid going to stores

Also there is a cost to masks. Just spent $50 on masks from Costco

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    From what I was told the doctor who spear-headed the mandatory mask movement is a quack that has been banned from Foothills and Peter Laugheed hospitals. Not saying it's necessarily a bad idea (people will be doing the bare minimum regardless of the rules), but the source is apparently rather questionable.
    For real? Any source / expanded info?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

This is something I'm hearing a lot these days and I just can't get behind it because it makes no sense.

We're in a public health crisis. This is being actively communicated by every organization to everyone they can reach.

Kids are not growing up with the idea that they are biological terrorists that should be afraid of their fellow man. The message is "we have to do some things differently for a bit until we get this under control".

Everywhere I go, aside from circlejerk comment sections and forums, the message is constructive.

I don't believe for a second that there's "psychological damage" being done because of mandatory masks just as I don't believe there is psychological damage being done because of mandatory seat belts or mandatory helmets.

Let's call a spade a spade: people don't like being told what to do, they've lost all sense of control thanks to this pandemic, and they are looking for somewhere to place their frustrations. Two months ago it was in the rhetoric that Covid isn't a big deal and lockdowns are overblown. Now it's anti-masking. Who knows what it'll be tomorrow.

But you can always count on a sizable portion of the population to reject what their leadership is saying, and thanks to the wonders of the internet, now they can do it (and organize) in record time.

For real? Any source / expanded info?
    People who work with him told me that, he is apparently a super weird dude. I don't have a written source so I don't know if that is something one can look up or not.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Maskers..... is everyone washing your hands before you put it on, after you put it on, before you take it off and after you take it off? Serious question. I've only dabbled in mask wearing (where its been mandated) and rather chosen to just avoid going to stores

Also there is a cost to masks. Just spent $50 on masks from Costco
    Hand sanitizer and zip lock bags.

Use once and goes into the bag. Sanitize hands, new mask on next store/location.

End of day, wash all masks in ziplock bag and get the next clean batch. Hang dry since I don't trust dryer with metal strip and the material may last longer.

People who work with him told me that, he is apparently a super weird dude. I don't have a written source so I don't know if that is something one can look up or not.
    Well, I have to say that once you can't attack the data, you attack the person. Politics 101.

How is this not different that the BS cancel culture happening all around us. People need to separate the art from the artist.

EDIT: I still think he could be a weird dude. Just like Kayne, but I still enjoy 808s & Heartbreak.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-22-2020 at 10:00 AM.

My Ride

Interesting, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Hand sanitizer and zip lock bags.

Use once and goes into the bag. Sanitize hands, new mask on next store/location.

End of day, wash all masks in ziplock bag and get the next clean batch. Hang dry since I don't trust dryer with metal strip and the material may last longer.
    Putting a moist mask in a sealed plastic bag is a bad idea. Also hand sanitizer is not effective unless your hands are clean and oil-free but that's easier to control.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Putting a moist mask in a sealed plastic bag is a bad idea. Also hand sanitizer is not effective unless your hands are clean and oil-free but that's easier to control.
    As long as the bag isn't reused, it's just a temp measure at avoid cross contamination. Masks get washed immediately as soon as I get home.

Now my colleague who I gave a few of masks to since he can't WFH told me he only wash it weekly. I have to do a double take like dude WTF.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    As long as the bag isn't reused, it's just a temp measure at avoid cross contamination. Masks get washed immediately as soon as I get home.

Now my colleague who I gave a few of masks to since he can't WFH told me he only wash it weekly. I have to do a double take like dude WTF.
    I wash my cloth mask daily and spray it with isopropyl when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    We're in a public health crisis.
    Serious question. What constitutes a public health crisis?

I look at the statistics for hospitalization numbers, deaths, demographics of the people affected, and their relative health condition, and my opinion is on the opposite side of the spectrum. Certainly a crisis in senior/retirement homes that have been disproportionately ravaged by the virus, but a public health crisis?

I support masks in tight indoor areas (ie. buses, planes etc.), and I would certainly wear one myself, because I feel it helps lower transmission. But I just can't help but feel that we've lost the plot .....

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    the issue is that we don't have any true data on the endpoint of this thing on a society-wide level. We essentially put ourselves into mini-prisons for at least a couple of months just to barely get it under control. And it was just barely. Exponential growth is the fucking devil: It makes "barely under control" look suspiciously like "not that big of a deal".

The psychological damage/scarring for this generation will be a real thing. Increased suicides will be a real thing. They are also unavoidable things. Most of humanity spent most of its existence being psychologically scarred. It's unrealistic to think that we would skate by without that. Is it more psychologically scarring than the scare mongering over nuclear conflagration that the baby boomers had to live through?

I missed this originally. I agree with you on the damage part - but its the virus causing that damage not the masks.
    qft
    @dimi That's a very good question and curious what the answers will be. I'm just playing it safe than sorry.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I believe a happy medium could be using biodegradable disposable chopsticks to touch your penis in public settings.
    I like where this pitch is going

Name:  5930d66d8ebcb83e25dd87d59c957ce8--like-a-sir-like-a-boss.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  23.7 KB
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    BC has put in some work on their COVID strategies

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/dise...vid-19-and-sex
    Foodie Meet 2021: