Quantcast
Residential Schools (split) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Residential Schools (split)

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I should request payment from the Japs for WW2

Dems are hell bent on slavery reparations. Probably around $14 trillion.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife's employer really wants her down there and would be highly supportive from that front. My personal situation is complicated, but I could almost certainly figure out a way to run my business from there with some commuting and travel. At the moment, the Americans are pretty gung ho about pulling talent into the country (compared to the Trump years). The US is full of a lot of dumb Americans, but the country is fortunate to have a critical mass of really smart people. So their on-the-ground policies tend to be beneficial for people who can contribute to their economy.

I don't really need to work any more, so worst case scenario is I just semi retire and drink mojitos by the pool in Texas while I figure out what I want to do next - if anything.
    I hope you choose a nice gated community with security. Was in Houston the other month, metro US is just a dump

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I hope you choose a nice gated community with security. Was in Houston the other month, metro US is just a dump
    You know the solution... In the case of living in the US, it's more applicable than most cases.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    You know the solution... In the case of living in the US, it's more applicable than most cases.
    Oh I know the solution. It's just an interesting comparison. Like the Galleria is all nice and glitzy, but if you walk anywhere outside the compound its shit. Maybe there are walkable zones like a kensington, 17th ave etc... certainly wasn't in the area I was.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Even living in a gated community or the Woodlands won't protect you from the stupid amount of traffic Houston has. People spend 1.5-2 hours commuting each day or you live close to work and it's suburbia hell.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You know, for me personally, Calgary is pretty close to my ideal place to live. I actually like that we get killing cold every year, gets rid of all sort of nasty things I don't want to deal with. I like that it's mostly dry. Now it's not perfect, but when I look at alternatives, they aren't perfect either. I think I'd go insane living somewhere without seasons.

In terms of politics, Canada is "fucked", but as well, I think the USA is fucked in different, but important, ways. State governments are fucked, just like provinces.
    It's great to dream of trading one set of problems for another, but for me, I don't see any driving force that would get me to leave this region, and I've had the chance.

EDIT: Yeah, I wouldn't want to raise my family in Houston long term. Cool city to visit, but not somewhere I'd choose to live.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    At least there you stand a chance to avoid the shit.

In Canada, the shit is institutional at the federal level.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You know, for me personally, Calgary is pretty close to my ideal place to live. I actually like that we get killing cold every year, gets rid of all sort of nasty things I don't want to deal with. I like that it's mostly dry. Now it's not perfect, but when I look at alternatives, they aren't perfect either. I think I'd go insane living somewhere without seasons.

In terms of politics, Canada is "fucked", but as well, I think the USA is fucked in different, but important, ways. State governments are fucked, just like provinces.
    It's great to dream of trading one set of problems for another, but for me, I don't see any driving force that would get me to leave this region, and I've had the chance.

EDIT: Yeah, I wouldn't want to raise my family in Houston long term. Cool city to visit, but not somewhere I'd choose to live.
    Canada has been good, so far. Calgary has been a good place to live and raise children, so far.

The future, however, is dire.

Also - Nobody lives in the shitty parts of metro USA. Just like nobody here would choose to live on Siksika or something.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea it’s funny that people gloss over the fact that Calgary, Alberta, and Canada all have armpits where you wouldn’t want to drive through let alone walk around bar hopping in.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The split thread needs a split.

My Ride
    NC1

Nurse gf been talking about travel nursing but won’t be for another 5-10 years. They make good money in the states and I could follow her around and eat some weak rice
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Nurse gf been talking about travel nursing but won’t be for another 5-10 years. They make good money in the states and I could follow her around and eat some weak rice
    True very true. No need to even be a travel nurse.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dude, in 5-10 years you'll need a nurse to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Dude, in 5-10 years you'll need a nurse to travel.
    I could use one now.

I'm in a somewhat similar position, with complications. My missus can work from anywhere as her work/channel/etc is online, and I was medically retired almost 10 years ago now, and did well enough in Alberta real estate (fluke due to fortunate timing in the mid/later 2000s), as well as getting good pay in USD offshore while contracting/instructing during the huge expansion of PMCs during those years. When my mother passed I inherited the 4 sections of prime farmland that she herself had inherited, and I sold all but one which I have an excellent renter paying a fair price for it still. So while certainly not in you and many other very successful Beyonders positions, if I (we) were to live modestly in Austin, Gavelston, Fort Worth, any of the places in TX where friends and family are well established, I believe we'd be better off than staying here.

Obviously due to the nature of my work, and disposition, the 2A thing is attractive to me in the USA, which means I don't need to risk major legal headaches while carrying defensive systems on my person while out and about, as I would here in Canada should I have ever engaged in such a thing (gasp).

The best thing I've read regarding Americans is worth putting in a sig line Buster. There is indeed a critical mass of highly intelligent, capable, motivated people in the USA, who have proven so by creating incredible things since the inception of America. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, far from it, but I've been exposed to a lot who are razor sharp in the USA, many of these types of Americans in the defense industry when I worked there, including some of the best people from the intelligence community, special operations soldiers from Tier 1 units on down, and aviation industry experts from Lockheed/Martin and so forth. A friend of mine who did a documentary on the first PMC I worked for in Canada now is the COO of a new company that has designed VR headsets for fighter pilots to wear - while in actual flight - that simulates every type of airborne adversary out there, and allows you to fight them in VR while flying an actual fighter. That's just one single example.

My only major hiccup is my father, who I WILL not abandon to some home where god knows what could happen to him. I cared for my mother in our home until she passed, and I'll do the same for him. He's had a rough go, 2 days after his hip replacement he caught the 1st strain of Covid pre vaccine in the hospital, and was in the ICU for 65 days and was very fortunate to survive. It had a major effect on his mind, which has mostly come back now, but moving him to the USA will be a challenge, but worth it IMO. He still has plenty left in his pension fund for US healthcare/insurance cost.

Agreed, I don't want to live there either, but there are other good options. Like anywhere, there is always going to be gong show areas you want to avoid.

Agreed.

+1

Heh, agreed, see above.

Probably mostly my fault for dragging the 0/t thread 0/t. Apologies, but I'm bored and I'm stuck waiting for a nurse to show up and take xrays of my shattered leg. Had a little rapalling accident a while back and broke my tib/fib in 4 different places and my ankle in 2 places as well. Welcome to the suck. Just started walking (badly) on it a week ago, and hopefully I'm on track to start pushing it/physio a lot more now.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 01-23-2023 at 12:22 PM.

No way man tangents are what make forums fun. Besides it's still good conversation, a lot better than the drivel over at CP and Reddit.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I'm in a somewhat similar position, with complications. My missus can work from anywhere as her work/channel/etc is online, and I was medically retired almost 10 years ago now, and did well enough in Alberta real estate (fluke due to fortunate timing in the mid/later 2000s), as well as getting good pay in USD offshore while contracting/instructing during the huge expansion of PMCs during those years. When my mother passed I inherited the 4 sections of prime farmland that she herself had inherited, and I sold all but one which I have an excellent renter paying a fair price for it still. So while certainly not in you and many other very successful Beyonders positions, if I (we) were to live modestly in Austin, Gavelston, Fort Worth, any of the places in TX where friends and family are well established, I believe we'd be better off than staying here.

Obviously due to the nature of my work, and disposition, the 2A thing is attractive to me in the USA, which means I don't need to risk major legal headaches while carrying defensive systems on my person while out and about, as I would here in Canada should I have ever engaged in such a thing (gasp).

The best thing I've read regarding Americans is worth putting in a sig line Buster. There is indeed a critical mass of highly intelligent, capable, motivated people in the USA, who have proven so by creating incredible things since the inception of America. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, far from it, but I've been exposed to a lot who are razor sharp in the USA, many of these types of Americans in the defense industry when I worked there, including some of the best people from the intelligence community, special operations soldiers from Tier 1 units on down, and aviation industry experts from Lockheed/Martin and so forth. A friend of mine who did a documentary on the first PMC I worked for in Canada now is the COO of a new company that has designed VR headsets for fighter pilots to wear - while in actual flight - that simulates every type of airborne adversary out there, and allows you to fight them in VR while flying an actual fighter. That's just one single example.

My only major hiccup is my father, who I WILL not abandon to some home where god knows what could happen to him. I cared for my mother in our home until she passed, and I'll do the same for him. He's had a rough go, 2 days after his hip replacement he caught the 1st strain of Covid pre vaccine in the hospital, and was in the ICU for 65 days and was very fortunate to survive. It had a major effect on his mind, which has mostly come back now, but moving him to the USA will be a challenge, but worth it IMO. He still has plenty left in his pension fund for US healthcare/insurance cost.

Agreed, I don't want to live there either, but there are other good options. Like anywhere, there is always going to be gong show areas you want to avoid.

Agreed.

+1

Heh, agreed, see above.

Probably mostly my fault for dragging the 0/t thread 0/t. Apologies, but I'm bored and I'm stuck waiting for a nurse to show up and take xrays of my shattered leg. Had a little rapalling accident a while back and broke my tib/fib in 4 different places and my ankle in 2 places as well. Welcome to the suck. Just started walking (badly) on it a week ago, and hopefully I'm on track to start pushing it/physio a lot more now.
    I dunno man, based on your posting history, you seem like a pretty smart guy to me. And rappelling accident notwithstanding, you have the rare quality of being able to make good decisions. Being a good decision-maker is a far more rare quality than being smart.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Jutes, it must be a major piss off to have left a once communist country, only to end up in one here now. I know how pissed off I am...
    I should've stayed in Israel, I'm sure I can still return at my age.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Tell her to do some flight-in-fly-out jobs in the Yukon/NWT. A buddy is doing this right now and it sounds pretty lucrative.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast