Quantcast
Coronavirus vs Investing - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus vs Investing

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeez TSX down 11% this morning. Worse than I thought it would be. I directed my advisor to invest my MIL 200K today hopefully we are nearing the bottom, last thing I need is someone yelling at me in Cantonese.
    Unlikely. We haven't even seen rampant infections in North America. Shit on the market will get really real if domestic quarantines go up.

I maintain my earlier position: stick to your strategy. Don't chase yields. Buy quality companies.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Unlikely. We haven't even seen rampant infections in North America. Shit on the market will get really real if domestic quarantines go up.

I maintain my earlier position: stick to your strategy. Don't chase yields. Buy quality companies.
    Yup. I am only starting an order when SPY around $235 range. And have 6 parts if it goes down further so not to put all eggs in one price point.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Lol I don't get why you guys can't be patient and buy / re-enter when the dust settles.

The two factors that brought everything down is still at play and no signals of it resolving immediately, yet most people on here were cheering Monday that they can get in at things on a discount. And here we are today down even further.

Oil has the potential to drop another $10 and the virus has the potential to continue spreading, but hey let's all continue buying cause shit was lower than it was a week ago!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post
    Lol I don't get why you guys can't be patient and buy / re-enter when the dust settles.

The two factors that brought everything down is still at play and no signals of it resolving immediately, yet most people on here were cheering Monday that they can get in at things on a discount. And here we are today down even further.

Oil has the potential to drop another $10 and the virus has the potential to continue spreading, but hey let's all continue buying cause shit was lower than it was a week ago!
    Because nobody knows when the dust will settle mate. Your post is the definition of trying to time the market which has, historically, been a disaster for investors.

But you do you. I hope it works out for you, really.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I agree with this for the most part because a lot of people tend to buy and hold, but everyone has a different risk tolerance and strategy. Maybe some like to play the volatility. Some people understand just because you make money on something doesn't mean it is of quality. You can make money on a bunch of shit stocks, ETF, etc. too

My Ride
    rally pig

Because nobody knows when the dust will settle mate. Your post is the definition of trying to time the market which has, historically, been a disaster for investors.

exactly. you can't time the market.
    just keep to your original strategy and ignore the short term noise.

we are entering or might be in bear market territory so don't buy at specific dates but the next 12-24 months would be the best time to contribute/invest more.

My Ride
    ute

You can't tell how much of these factors the market has already baked into the price. These moves aren't reactive they're predictive.

My Ride

No one knows, but given the situations infront of us the likelihood of it going down more is higher than it going up from here.

All I'm saying is that you guys should take a breather and monitor the situation and buy in when those factors at play are clearing up. Right now we are potentially just getting into the deep end and it's scary seeing how unphased some of you are. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to sell what you have, just be a little more cautious.

My Ride

No one knows, but given the situations infront of us the likelihood of it going down more is higher than it going up from here.

All I'm saying is that you guys should take a breather and monitor the situation and buy in when those factors at play are clearing up. Right now we are potentially just getting into the deep end and it's scary seeing how unphased some of you are. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to sell what you have, just be a little more cautious.
    I mean, sure, but that's the entire reason why I've been telling people to stick to their strategy. This does not demand that you suddenly change your approach.

I buy every Friday. Market up or market down, I buy every Friday. Why change that now?

If I wait, I may well miss out on great opportunities. Waiting itself may be an opportunity. Nobody knows what will happen - certainly not me - which is why I am averaging my way through it.

If you time the market and win, dude that's awesome. But you probably won't, as most don't, and I'm not one to gamble

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The US has gained 25-30% the number of infected/tested people daily the last few days and thats with still limited tested. Guaranteed within a week things are looking really ugly.

Here's a interesting graphic, logarithmic scale based on number of days behind italy in terms of infections.

My Ride

Because that is how averaging down works. Nobody knows where the bottom is. But either way, at a certain point of fear selling, the market should stabilize because too many investors start to see a good deal and start buying, which props things back up. The market is basically just a supply and demand barometer of hype and fear.

Plus we are over 20% market correction now, which is almost unheard of. Even if it drops more, you're still getting a solid enough discount at this point that you'll turn a profit when it re-corrects back up.

My Ride
    V8s

Jeez TSX down 11% this morning. Worse than I thought it would be. I directed my advisor to invest my MIL 200K today hopefully we are nearing the bottom, last thing I need is someone yelling at me in Cantonese.
    I read that as though you chose to invest all remaining cash in one day; is there a reason you didn't do 50k/mo for the next 4 months? Or 20k/mo for the next 10 months?

Name:  0c99b9cc02c40aa39ede92b16219358b.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  26.0 KB

Might as well borrow some money.... To spend it on knickacks. Investing? Its getting too late in the game for many boomers, I can imagine this might be the event that causes boomers to sell and never come back (enjoy the money, instead of keeping it for the future)
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

I have been buying VEQT every 3-4% dip. Originally I was going in with some heavy positions but now I am just buying less than 1K at a time... Just too many dips now.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I read that as though you chose to invest all remaining cash in one day; is there a reason you didn't do 50k/mo for the next 4 months? Or 20k/mo for the next 10 months?

Name:  0c99b9cc02c40aa39ede92b16219358b.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  26.0 KB

I think they (sunlife) are putting it in an interest account for now. They said their low risk funds are only down 0.18% as of Monday.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    Did I tell you I'm full of bad decisions? I'm an idiot thought for not trusting my gut and going all cash in December. Actually met with my advisor and she talked me out of it.
    I trusted my gut and against all advisers went 60% cash back in Sep. Missing out 10% gain but also not getting hit by the 20+% loss right now.

When @Buster start paying down his mortgage, I knew I was on the right track.

Unless she's living with your forever until the bitter end, be careful how you handle the old folk home funds.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-12-2020 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I’m happy with a 22% gain

It may dip lower, but you can’t get greedy.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I’m happy with a 22% gain

It may dip lower, but you can’t get greedy.
    What did you invest in, and whyfor hath you not shared your glorious advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    What did you invest in, and whyfor hath you not shared your glorious advice?
    I think he's meaning things dropped 22% and so he's buying in at a lower price.

At least thats what I understood from it.

Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast