Quantcast
Patio Furniture - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Patio Furniture

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Costco +3. That way when you break it in 5-6 years, or hate it, you take it back.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

There are some pretty nice Online Only 5-piece sets at Home Depot around the $1000-1500 range.

A lot of patio furniture, even the expensive stuff, is built like garbage so I personally wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't see in person. Costco would be best if you have to buy sight unseen but it would still be a giant PITA to return a bunch of large patio furniture.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of patio furniture, even the expensive stuff, is built like garbage so I personally wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't see in person. Costco would be best if you have to buy sight unseen but it would still be a giant PITA to return a bunch of large patio furniture.
    We just bought new patio furniture and felt the same way... I didn't want to buy without seeing it in person and that was a real eye-opener. There is so much junk out there and it's ridiculous what some of the specialty stores will try and pawn off for thousands of dollars per piece.

From what I've seen, you're best to stick to either end of the spectrum; the middle is generally no better than the cheaper big box stuff, but can be many multiples in price, often approaching the price of quality stuff.

Availability still seems like a huge issue. More than once we were advised that even with no stock, a lot of retailers will still offer online "end of season" sales, so we could just wait until next year and save some money...

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    We just bought new patio furniture and felt the same way... I didn't want to buy without seeing it in person and that was a real eye-opener. There is so much junk out there and it's ridiculous what some of the specialty stores will try and pawn off for thousands of dollars per piece.

From what I've seen, you're best to stick to either end of the spectrum; the middle is generally no better than the cheaper big box stuff, but can be many multiples in price, often approaching the price of quality stuff.

Availability still seems like a huge issue. More than once we were advised that even with no stock, a lot of retailers will still offer online "end of season" sales, so we could just wait until next year and save some money...
    Yeah the specialty patio/outdoor stores are the worst. The one that pops up every now and then at the corner of Glenmore and McLeod (it's a seasonal space) was especially bad when we were shopping. From what I saw, they were essentially selling Home Depot / Canadian Tire quality sets for $3-4K. Unless you go ultra-high-end and are prepared to take good care of it, I would just stick to the cheaper stuff and replace it when needed in 5+ years. Our cheap CT set looks exactly like new after 1.5 years and I am so glad I didn't spend 4 times the money on something else. Toss a cheap cover on it when not in use or get a deck box from Costco for the cushions and you're good to go.

I can see availability being an issue - everyone stuck at home, more people want to use their yards I guess.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

There's 'the patio store's beside Costco and definitely similar to what you're describing. I went to look for a few loungers and everything was minimum a grand a piece it felt like and most of the same styles/designs were identical to cheap stuff off Wayfair. Pretty sure it's all just rebranded junk unless you pay for the 5k+ sets.

I ended up finding a pair of Teak loungers off Kijiji for 250$, not quite as comfy as I'd hoped so might shop for better cushions but overall happy for the cost and they seem in great shape

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    There's 'the patio store's beside Costco and definitely similar to what you're describing. I went to look for a few loungers and everything was minimum a grand a piece it felt like and most of the same styles/designs were identical to cheap stuff off Wayfair. Pretty sure it's all just rebranded junk unless you pay for the 5k+ sets.
    I suspect like a lot of furniture and other "home goods", many of these patio sets come out of the same factory and the label they put on it is the main thing that determines price. That's what it seemed like to me anyway - lots of sets that looked very familiar from store to store but with dramatic price differences.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

I ended up finding a pair of Teak loungers off Kijiji for 250$, not quite as comfy as I'd hoped so might shop for better cushions but overall happy for the cost and they seem in great shape
    That's the place that used to go into the McLeod / Glenmore space... I was Canadian Tire-level wicker sets for upwards of $8k... Thin teak dining tables for $3k... The same $700 Costco cantilever umbrella for 3X the price... F those guys.

This is why I miss Sunnyside. Proper curated patio furniture that lasted.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Costco comes to mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    +1 this is going to be right around the budget you are expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    +2 check out Costco.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    Costco +3. That way when you break it in 5-6 years, or hate it, you take it back.
    Damn why didn't I think of that! Durrrrr

But yeah, problem with Costco is availability. I'll probably just find some stuff on Kijiji I guess

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post

But yeah, problem with Costco is availability. I'll probably just find some stuff on Kijiji I guess
    Canadian Tire, Lowes, Rona and home depot are all worth a visit. Wal-mart too for cheap shit.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Costco on the reserve had 3 different sets on display tonight

In reading this thread there seems to be an opening for a patio company in the Calgary market that sells quality patio furniture. Or a new marketing team for one of the existing patio companies. Big box stores do not sell good patio furniture. Canadian tire, home depot or Lowes will have low grade fabrics, cushions that are 2 inches thick and take forever to dry, low grade wickee thats machine wrapped or cushions that are not that comfortable.

How is it all the ballers around here buy such garbage patio furniture?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Baller furniture is available at baller prices. Cheap furniture is available at cheap prices. I think the market is well supplied.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post

https://www.costco.ca/patio-furniture-seating-sets.html

Seems to be quite a few in stock.
    They'll delivery straight to your back yard.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Hard to invest a lot in patio furniture when you can use it about 2 months of the year and is expected to endure everything our lovely climate throws at it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    In reading this thread there seems to be an opening for a patio company in the Calgary market that sells quality patio furniture. Or a new marketing team for one of the existing patio companies. Big box stores do not sell good patio furniture. Canadian tire, home depot or Lowes will have low grade fabrics, cushions that are 2 inches thick and take forever to dry, low grade wickee thats machine wrapped or cushions that are not that comfortable.

How is it all the ballers around here buy such garbage patio furniture?
    After my recent experience, I got the feeling that the specialty stores are just trying to make as much money as possible due to the limited season in Calgary. It seems that there's a strategy to try and make bigger margins on shitty product, than sell for less in higher volume. Whether or not it's the right approach is debatable (I think not).

Better marketing might help - we went to probably a dozen stores and only a few offered anything I'd consider buying; the others were so bad / so overpriced that I was almost angry at them for wasting my time (looking at you, Patio Store), but who knows what we missed at the places we didn't go, or know to go to. Ended up buying from a traditional furniture store, which in itself was a near-miss due to the store's branding.

Baller furniture is available at baller prices. Cheap furniture is available at cheap prices. I think the market is well supplied.
    I guess this applies to the furniture market in general (or maybe everything?), but overall quality is very expensive, especially relative to the cheaper alternatives. I have no problem with either end of the spectrum if the product is honest , but the patio furniture market seems especially prone to cheap quality at baller prices.

when a large majority of users are recommending big box stores as good quality patio furniture you know the real patio stores have done a piss poor job.

My Ride
    V167

When we were looking I went to literally every patio furniture store here in the lower mainland. Vancouver, Langley, Burnaby, you name it. I knew what was being sold, for how much, what was good, and what wasn't. I settled on a very nice set from Canadian Tire. It was actually the very first set that I looked at and I liked it instantly. We have a covered deck that I can make use of from March to ~ October. I didn't need a product that can withstand all of the elements. Still, I spent around $2k. The high end shit (Ratana) was minimum 4k. Ludacris.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    After my recent experience, I got the feeling that the specialty stores are just trying to make as much money as possible due to the limited season in Calgary. It seems that there's a strategy to try and make bigger margins on shitty product, than sell for less in higher volume. Whether or not it's the right approach is debatable (I think not).

Better marketing might help - we went to probably a dozen stores and only a few offered anything I'd consider buying; the others were so bad / so overpriced that I was almost angry at them for wasting my time (looking at you, Patio Store), but who knows what we missed at the places we didn't go, or know to go to. Ended up buying from a traditional furniture store, which in itself was a near-miss due to the store's branding.

I guess this applies to the furniture market in general (or maybe everything?), but overall quality is very expensive, especially relative to the cheaper alternatives. I have no problem with either end of the spectrum if the product is honest , but the patio furniture market seems especially prone to cheap quality at baller prices.
    This.

There is limited demand for "high end" out door furniture in Calgary. I'm looking right now as our deck upgrade isn't that far away - and it's pretty much crickets. I bet the Americans have good options that nobody bothers to bring up to Canada.

I've resorted to just buying stuff that is semi-disposable. Buy the average quality stuff from Costco and plan on replacing it in a few years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast