Black Lives Matter discussion - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter discussion

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1189945.shtml

I mean, China does have a point there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The US is run by The Don, so that shouldn't be surprising.

"Hey Minnesota, I have an offer you can't refuse."
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1189945.shtml

I mean, China does have a point there.
    I gotta say that’s pretty hilarious actually lol

Yup, Asian problems tend to be "second place" complaints. I mention it, and complain about it - but its not a biggie that absolutely needs to be resolved or the world stops turning.

In absolutely no way compares to the absolute curb stomping black people get in the USA. Its ridiculous too, that one out of 10,000 make it to the NFL or NBA - those that don't make it basically become hard labour mules. Sometimes I think they just dangle that carrot so that they have a workforce that has more muscle (another conspiracy entirely) One million dollar athlete is a small price to pay for 9,999 self-motivated hard labourers.

Personally I have no idea how black people put up with it. Its like they have an extreme tolerance for it?
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-30-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post

Personally I have no idea how black people put up with it. Its like they have an extreme tolerance for it?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    What’s confusing is how can America still be like that? Black ppl dominate in so many aspects of life. Sports. Entertainment. Pop culture. Fashion. Etc.
    Because when you think about it, the desegregation of America is still really new. The Supreme Court ruling that desegregated schools was in 1954. My parents are older than that, so we're not really that far removed.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    What’s confusing is how can America still be like that? Black ppl dominate in so many aspects of life. Sports. Entertainment. Pop culture. Fashion. Etc.
    I think in most of those areas you mention, black people produce the "work" and they still work for predominantly white executives and owners.
    Look at Lebron James, arguably the most emancipated black man in america. He still is coached by this dude:
    Name:  Lebron 800px-Frank_Vogel_at_NBA_Cares_charity_event_February_14_2014_cropped.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  36.3 KB
    and the owner this this chick:
    Name:  Lebron Jeanie.png
Views: 354
Size:  362.5 KB
    Who inherited it from this dude:
    Name:  Lebron 800px-Jerry_Buss_playing_the_WSOP.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  58.9 KB

We are not that far removed from slavery in years or in actual fact. The black folks do the work, and the white people disproportionately profit from it. Difference is that high profile black people like Lebron are paid well now, but that's not the reality for the vast majority of black people in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    We are not that far removed from slavery in years or in actual fact. The black folks do the work, and the white people disproportionately profit from it. Difference is that high profile black people like Lebron are paid well now, but that's not the reality for the vast majority of black people in the USA.
    Honest question - so what's Canada's excuse then? The girl from BB Canada claiming "driving while black" last year in GTA. I mean slavery was abolished here in 1793... So we've got 150yrs more practice - but the claims continue?

Curiously is anyone else noticing how close all these data trends between black in America vs FN in Canada align?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Canada is no less racist than the USA. Not to blacks, not to first nations.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Canada is a little different. We were xenophobic racist early on, so they didn't even let the slavery ships dock in Canada.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Soros, bill gates, etc. The usual suspects
    Misterman, sabad66 - the wheat is starting to get separated from the chaff.

Release the hounds!

Not a hint of apologetic tone there.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Honest question - so what's Canada's excuse then? The girl from BB Canada claiming "driving while black" last year in GTA. I mean slavery was abolished here in 1793... So we've got 150yrs more practice - but the claims continue?

Curiously is anyone else noticing how close all these data trends between black in America vs FN in Canada align?
    The only racism FN see is the governments blank-cheque support they constantly receive. No one has the testicular fortitude and political will to treat them equally as regular Canadians. Preferential treatment based on skin colour is in itself racist.

My Ride
    *The First*

Canada is no less racist than the USA.
    I strongly disagree. Canadians are plenty racist (like any other country); but, there is still a pervasive culture of entitlement among large sects of white Americans that is likely a carryover from slave ownership. They view black Americans as subhuman trash.

I'd agree that racist attitudes to other cultures within the US matches Canada, but not to black folks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Maybe I know more shitty people, but I know people who consider blacks subhuman rightbhere in cow town.

My Ride
    *The First*

Maybe I know more shitty people, but I know people who consider blacks subhuman rightbhere in cow town.
    Oh, for sure. We're a long way from immune to it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Stop hanging out in Aspen.

My Ride
    ute

I realize it's a hot button topic, but getting killed by police, whether you are black or white in the US isn't a big concern. It's still a pretty small number.

More importantly, getting killed by police while unarmed is super rare. And unarmed deaths by police are largely proportional between whites and blacks.

So if you conclusion is "RACISM BY COPS!" for black people getting killed by police more than whites, you need to explain two data points: why men get killed at a rate of 20:1 over women by police, and why unarmed deaths by police are proportional to population.

That's not to say that racism doesn't exist. It's just that it doesn't indicate that police racism is a cause of higher death rates amongst blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    More importantly, getting killed by police while unarmed is super rare. And unarmed deaths by police are largely proportional between whites and blacks.

----

That's not to say that racism doesn't exist. It's just that it doesn't indicate that police racism is a cause of higher death rates amongst blacks.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...745-9133.12269

We analyzed 990 police fatal shootings using data compiled by The Washington Post in 2015. After first providing a basic descriptive analysis of these shootings, we then examined the data for evidence of implicit bias by using multivariate regression models that predict two indicators of threat perception failure: (1) whether the civilian was not attacking the officer(s) or other civilians just before being fatally shot and (2) whether the civilian was unarmed when fatally shot. The results indicated civilians from “other” minority groups were significantly more likely than Whites to have not been attacking the officer(s) or other civilians and that Black civilians were more than twice as likely as White civilians to have been unarmed.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post

We analyzed 990 police fatal shootings using data compiled by The Washington Post in 2015. After first providing a basic descriptive analysis of these shootings, we then examined the data for evidence of implicit bias by using multivariate regression models that predict two indicators of threat perception failure:
    I have nothing to say about race as this is all a military style police problem in the states.

However I thought this was funny. "We took an incomplete and wildly biased data set, then added our own subjective spin on top of that, and created another data set from our findings."

Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast