Quantcast
Black Lives Matter discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 51 1 2 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1019

Thread: Black Lives Matter discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    Posts
    4,331
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Black Lives Matter discussion

    Anyone else following this story?

    I know this sort of thing is relatively common in the States, but for some reason this one really bothered me. Perhaps it's the video that clearly shows this piece of shit of a cop with his knee on the neck of this poor guy ultimately killing him or the defence lawyer in me that's so pissed off.

    But what an absolute fucking stupid thing for anyone, especially a cop to do on video (of course otherwise too). I don't care what the guy did before he got taken down but after being handcuffed that sort of treatment is completely uncalled for.

    So far the cops have only been fired, but no criminal charges yet. So senseless.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/us/mi...rnd/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,943
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I assume there will be criminal charges.

    Still, in a country of 350 million, rando ship is gonna happen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    Posts
    1,544
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    There is a video of the events leading up to it. Sure he is a big dude but he wasn't a threat and there were at least four cops around. I was disappointed at the other cops not stepping in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    Toyota
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    apparently he was suspected of using a fake 20 dollar bill...

    horrible...


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,985
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    In my opinion, this is a perfect example of the corruption of police.

    Citizens wanted to help, but couldn't as they would end up in jail too. Or, allegedly, dead if they were black by chance. It's fucking disgusting. There is zero reason for that man to be dead right now. Every single cop should be "strung up" so to speak and stay in jail for a very long time.

    It's inexcusable.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,247
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    It’s really sad.

    Too lazy to search cuz sometimes out of sight out of mind and I don’t wanna trigger myself but has any officer been convicted or gone to jail for this kind of thing?

    I remember the nyc chokehold one, 6mill payout, officer fired but no jail time or anything like that. Minus the 6mill, Karen in Central Park suffered a similar fate and all she did was just be a total bitch.

    Anyway I’m high so probably just stfu. And then now it’s an excuse to riot. Target on the news. Great.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion, this is a perfect example of the corruption of police.

    Citizens wanted to help, but couldn't as they would end up in jail too. Or, allegedly, dead if they were black by chance. It's fucking disgusting. There is zero reason for that man to be dead right now. Every single cop should be "strung up" so to speak and stay in jail for a very long time.

    It's inexcusable.
    This is the same thing that gets me too. It's in my nature and my principles to help when I see someone in distress. But in this sort of case you're fucked no matter what you do. If I step in on a situation like this and tell some jackboot to quit assaulting someone, and then I step in to physically prevent the assault taking place when they won't back off. At best I get the joy of knocking out a pig, but get my ass beat by multiple cops and charged with assault myself, despite the fact I'd be making a pretty legitimate citizens arrest. Worst case I end up shot to death.

    That's why I really don't like this right wing idea of respecting police no matter what. Fuck that, cops are just people, and there's plenty of good and bad people out there. We should respect people that earn respect.

    My first instinct about this story when I started hearing about it was "Here with go with some more race baiting BS from a criminal that probably asked for it again". But there is a lot of bad info coming out on these cops, and doesn't sound like this guy was resisting. The one cop has been investigated in something like 15 suspect cases of excessive force, sounds like your typical douchebag that got stuffed in lockers a lot and feels like a big tough guy now that he carries a gun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,236
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Anyway I’m high so probably just stfu. And then now it’s an excuse to riot. Target on the news. Great.
    I'm so mad, I am going to go loot me a new 80" TV. That'll change society!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This is why people have the mentality of "fuck the police" because there is no accountability when this happens. It further supports a police "culture" when they don't show citizens that they are doing anything to correct this. When people see that a police officer can get a way with murder and if a regular citizen can't you create a disconnect between people and police.

    This stuff happens a lot in Canada too but it usually doesn't end up in murder. This has been happening for years and its just now over the last 5 years with the emergence of social media that these incidents are being filmed.

    The people looting stores are idiots and don't know any better, this will not change anything and just give the police culture reason to continue what they are doing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    Posts
    1,544
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    rage.jpg

    We need to be better.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    537
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Wouldn't have intervened either, even if it was a companion. On the idea that cops in general are supposed to be highly trained and know what they are doing. The chances of all four cops being judgementally wrong in restraint does happen obviously though.

    Tragic all around. Guy just wanted to spend his $20 at the store.
    Tablets should have three speakers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,021
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Minneapolis Mayor pretty much nails it.... that cop should be in jail.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    Posts
    4,331
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Minnesota has the death penalty but that would make such a statement and set an example for all the prick cops everywhere in the world! And it's a big thing for me to say it - but I am so fucking raged by the callous actions of these cops - the supposed protectors of the public. I can't fucking believe they still have not been charged.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 05-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford Raptor
    Posts
    2,932
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    @jabjab I respectfully disagree with you on this. How is there no accountability to police? You do realize that 4 police officers just got instantly fired without so much as a through investigation or due process, mainly because of one surfaced video that went very viral.

    I am in no way shape and form defending the guy who was kneeling on the deceased neck, but 3 other officers got fired for being there and likely showing up to conduct crowd control while this was going on.

    This situation just paints a bad image for police. But the actions of one do not speak for the actions of thousands of other good officers that serve in the US, and even Canada as you mentioned.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford Raptor
    Posts
    2,932
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Minnesota has the death penalty but that would make such a statement and set an example for all the prick cops everywhere in the world! I can't fucking believe they still have not been charged.
    You're a lawyer and you can't believe they haven't been charged? Where is your common sense? You do realize that investigations have to take place for stuff like this right?

    People who have committed crimes even require an investigation to take place before a criminal charge can be laid... C'mon man use some brain matter here and not emotion.

    If people who have committed crimes get their due process, why can't police officers?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @jabjab I respectfully disagree with you on this. How is there no accountability to police? You do realize that 4 police officers just got instantly fired without so much as a through investigation or due process, mainly because of one surfaced video that went very viral.

    I am in no way shape and form defending the guy who was kneeling on the deceased neck, but 3 other officers got fired for being there and likely showing up to conduct crowd control while this was going on.

    This situation just paints a bad image for police. But the actions of one do not speak for the actions of thousands of other good officers that serve in the US, and even Canada as you mentioned.
    I see your point of view but do you think that just getting fired for murdering someone is enough? I think they should be treated as any other citizen and if a regular joe blow did this , they would be tried and convicted of murder and right now they are just fired. The law is protecting the law in this situation and to me that is not a fair justice system.

    I do agree there are thousands of great cops but until police that do wrong things are brought to fair justice then its easy to label the police culture.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford Raptor
    Posts
    2,932
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point of view but do you think that just getting fired for murdering someone is enough? I think they should be treated as any other citizen and if a regular joe blow did this , they would be tried and convicted of murder and right now they are just fired. The law is protecting the law in this situation and to me that is not a fair justice system.

    I do agree there are thousands of great cops but until police that do wrong things are brought to fair justice then its easy to label the police culture.
    Ok, I see where you're coming from. BUT in normal practice, you're suspended until a through investigation is done, and then If criminal charges are put forward from the investigation, that's when it's laid.

    This has skipped over that and immediately terminated these employees without an investigation. What more do you want? This is far from over. I guarentee there WILL be charges. Just because it's not moving instantly like some people hope, doesn't mean it's not happening.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,021
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I agree charges dont need to be immediate, a proper investigation needs to take place, but holy fuck if charges dont come down then WTF!?

    I hadn't watched the video previously, just did now. Fucking sickening. And there is security camera footage leaked as well. There was no resisting arrest... not to mention he was in cuffs, on the ground while be choked out.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,256
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I see where you're coming from. BUT in normal practice, you're suspended until a through investigation is done, and then If criminal charges are put forward from the investigation, that's when it's laid.

    This has skipped over that and immediately terminated these employees without an investigation. What more do you want? This is far from over. I guarentee there WILL be charges. Just because it's not moving instantly like some people hope, doesn't mean it's not happening.
    If a video was went viral of a regular citizen doing this to another citizen, names of both parties included, and shown on every news oulet in the country, would it take more than 72 hours for the investigation to conclude there's enough evidence for an arrest?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I see where you're coming from. BUT in normal practice, you're suspended until a through investigation is done, and then If criminal charges are put forward from the investigation, that's when it's laid.

    This has skipped over that and immediately terminated these employees without an investigation. What more do you want? This is far from over. I guarentee there WILL be charges. Just because it's not moving instantly like some people hope, doesn't mean it's not happening.
    If charges are laid and they are convicted then the system is starting to work but from past incidents it is rare that officers who do this are convicted. I hope i'm wrong in this case but time will tell. Just look at the Ahmaud Arebry sitution (black runner shot dead). No charges were laid until the video came out and people were protesting.

Page 1 of 51 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Black Lives Matter take over far left hippie college, ousting pro-occupy professor

    By googe in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 06-06-2017, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 50
    Latest Threads: 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
  3. 2Pac Lives! as Black Haze

    By 4lti7ude in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
  4. Programming us to value Jewish Lives more than Palestinian lives.

    By Legless_Marine2 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 51
    Latest Threads: 03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
  5. Replies: 44
    Latest Threads: 07-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •