School me on being a Dad - Page 56 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 46 55 56 57 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1831

Thread: School me on being a Dad

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We do have a proper, wooden framed crib incoming, just hasn't arrived yet. That little one is just a portable one we got for initial use when we want the baby sleeping in our room and all that. And that rocker (in the right corner) I think just moves side-to-side slightly. Think it was a gift at one of the 4 baby showers that my wife got, so if it doesn't work well we will probably grab something else.
    Oh, I was talking about the rocking chair. Those style work fine, but we much preferred a glider style rocking chair.

Like this, but not as ugly...we have a much more contemporary/comfortable version. That isn't from Wally world. lol

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Topbuy-...y/528WS9ISIPYE

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    We do have a proper, wooden framed crib incoming, just hasn't arrived yet. That little one is just a portable one we got for initial use when we want the baby sleeping in our room and all that. And that rocker (in the right corner) I think just moves side-to-side slightly. Think it was a gift at one of the 4 baby showers that my wife got, so if it doesn't work well we will probably grab something else.
    Your wife (and you occasionally) might appreciate an ottoman to go with the chair...

My Ride
    Trucks

Taking a nap with a baby on your chest is one of the best experiences I’ve had with fatherhood. Kind of jealous I don’t have that anymore and the smell of your own little one is hardwire into your brain to also be fantastic. Eat it up, they grow super fast.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Start the countdown til shak is swapping out baby gear more frequently than cars. Which will probably cost as much as swapping out cars.
    Haha let's hope not. Don't think so since I can't drive any of the baby gear but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Oh, I was talking about the rocking chair. Those style work fine, but we much preferred a glider style rocking chair.

Like this, but not as ugly...we have a much more contemporary/comfortable version. That isn't from Wally world. lol

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Topbuy-...y/528WS9ISIPYE
    Oh I see. Yea that one looks like a lot more versatile. I had no input in those and let the wife pick and decide whatever she wanted and she settled on that. We do have a foot-rest type of thing incoming on which you can rest your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    Your wife (and you occasionally) might appreciate an ottoman to go with the chair...
    Yea for sure. That'a a must when you're sitting on the chair for longer periods of time, you want to be able to stretch and rest your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Taking a nap with a baby on your chest is one of the best experiences I’ve had with fatherhood. Kind of jealous I don’t have that anymore and the smell of your own little one is hardwire into your brain to also be fantastic. Eat it up, they grow super fast.
    So I keep hearing! I know you don't feel it (that they grow so quick) in the moment but you reminisce after the fact. We are definitely excited/nervous and everything in-between. Haha.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

my babys are(were) furnace babys, i can barely snuggle for 5 minutes with them. its kinda sad lol

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Yep. Having a nap with your baby on your chest is a right of passage for fathers.

And once you realize your legacy is cemented in your offspring, death isn’t as… scary.

Shrug.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Yep. Having a nap with your baby on your chest is a right of passage for fathers.

And once you realize your legacy is cemented in your offspring, death isn’t as… scary.

Shrug.
    Interesting take.

I didn't care about the prospect of death at all before kids. Now it's something that factors into my thought process for a lot of things (as in, I want to avoid it).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Back when I had no kids spending the money on a legit old school lay-z-boy recliner was a nice splurge. But that bad boy came into its own with babies. Spent some nights and many afternoons in it with the little ones giving momma some real rest. Paid off huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Back when I had no kids spending the money on a legit old school lay-z-boy recliner was a nice splurge. But that bad boy came into its own with babies. Spent some nights and many afternoons in it with the little ones giving momma some real rest. Paid off huge.
    Same! Like exactly the same!

*@shak don't buy one. Get a gaming chair instead.

My Ride
    ute

I found a picture of the original nursery.

Name:  baby.png
Views: 368
Size:  51.8 KB

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Interesting take.

I didn't care about the prospect of death at all before kids. Now it's something that factors into my thought process for a lot of things (as in, I want to avoid it).
    It’s an age thing maybe. When we’re all young we’re invincible, when we find out we’re not it’s good to know you’ve had kids. If that makes sense.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Interesting take.

im with you, i was reckless before i had kids haha... not anymore.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Lexus released the new GX yesterday and it looks awesome. I’d like to say I’m going to replace my current GX with the new one when mine dies, but they don’t die so I’ll have to find another catalyst.
    *perks up*
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    It’s an age thing maybe. When we’re all young we’re invincible, when we find out we’re not it’s good to know you’ve had kids. If that makes sense.
    I know exactly what you're saying... I think we have different perspectives that drive the same outcome (wanting to stay alive haha).

I'd much rather die without kids than leave the kids without a dad. Legacy doesn't really factor into it for me, or at least not in the way I think you define it.

I like this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

*perks up*
    It'll be 10x the car of that stupid grenadier ( ) at 75% of the cost (or less).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You aren’t wrong. I think I’m going to put a deposit down.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Trucks

I also recommend one of those front mount baby carriers to give mom a break. My son was completely entranced tinkering in the garage with me or doing projects around the house.

Get life insurance if you already don't.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Kids behave differently when mom is around. Ours son is 5 and our daughter 8. When I am home with the kids they are usually pretty good. Our daughter is good most of the time regardless. But when both of us are home E (daughter) will sometimes yell and scream at mom. They say that is because kids are more comfortable with one parent than the other. I am more strict and will slap S (son). Never had the need to slap E on the hand. My wife does not believe in slap on the hand. Lately our son will do things when we asks him not to, and throw tempers. Today for example my wife and her mom went out for groceries and the kids were very good. Don't argue, didn't say "but dad.." etc. Things changed when they got home from groceries.

A lot of our friends said you need to be more straight or firm with the kids. Some friends believe in asking questions and listening. Some older friends believe in disciplining, and some in spanking. Grandma is visiting for a few months. I told her S is not always like this. We went camping last year with friends who kids both had ADHD and that was something. Some people looked at us and probably thought WTF. 3 of the 4 kids where out of control.

It is frustrating as I don't believe my wife's soft approach is working with S. He will try the "mommy one more" approach whereas he doesn't attempt it with me (referring to watching cartoons). Don't get me wrong he is lovely most of the time. At some point soon he will be too strong for my wife to handle physically.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Anyone here have 4 kids? We are at 3 now..
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Kids for sure behave differently with different parents. Pretty normal.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 46 55 56 57 66 ... LastLast