Quantcast
Calgary real estate prospects - Page 251 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 251 of 362 FirstFirst ... 241 250 251 252 261 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 7228

Thread: Calgary real estate prospects

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I don’t regret being a landlord for 8 years but I probably wouldn’t do it again.

Why would you not regret it? 8 yrs RE has gone nowhere locally. Single digit returns on capital (wasn't levered up). Wish I sold when things were hot in 2014 and didn't have to deal with tenants and showings for 10 years and earned a better return in an index fund.

My Ride
    NC1

Aha just gotta time the market right lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you not regret it? 8 yrs RE has gone nowhere locally. Single digit returns on capital (wasn't levered up). Wish I sold when things were hot in 2014 and didn't have to deal with tenants and showings for 10 years and earned a better return in an index fund.
    Now take your poor judgement handling your own money and apply it to your voting skills.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I rented my first house out while living for free for 6/8 of those years. Every penny of rent I took in was split between my retirement funds and putting equity into the home quicker. It helped my build some wealth quickly in my 20s even if I didn’t make money on the home.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I rented my first house out while living for free for 6/8 of those years. Every penny of rent I took in was split between my retirement funds and putting equity into the home quicker. It helped my build some wealth quickly in my 20s even if I didn’t make money on the home.
    Smart
    Money everywhere so go get it!
    I am user #49

Last edited by Xamim; 05-31-2023 at 02:09 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    If the LL's were newer buyers, yeah. Anyone who had owned their property for double digit years has been doing fine.
    Almost 15 years doing this and 2023 is actually looking up that I don't regret being a LL.

Been lucky, tenants are all kinda long term and not many turnovers and behaved with little damages. Even after all the cost, I would say tenant contributed around 40% to the principle after all costs in that time. That works out to around 4%/year return after all cost and before taxes so far. To shitty part is you kinda have to work for that 4%. Index fund is definitely better.

Going forward if I end the mortgage and at current rent level, I am looking at 5-6% return before taxes. But at least the prop value has gone up a bit.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-25-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Almost 15 years doing this and 2023 is actually looking up that I don't regret being a LL.

Been lucky, tenants are all kinda long term and not many turnovers and behaved with little damages. Even after all the cost, I would say tenant contributed around 40% to the principle after all costs in that time. That works out to around 4%/year return after all cost and before taxes so far. To shitty part is you kinda have to work for that 4%. Index fund is definitely better.

Going forward if I end the mortgage and at current rent level, I am looking at 15% return before taxes.
    You didn't borrow at all to finance the rental?

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    Alright, new some advice from the beyond RE crew. Parents are looking to list their home in McKenzie Towne. Home was build in 2010 and is about 2,100 sq. ft. + a developed basement and a sauna, hardwood flooring and 9' ceilings on main, pie lot, nice yard, triple detached + a slab to park a trailer, paved alley. Trying to figure out a potential list price. Home across the street sold for $600k in a few days with less interior space, smaller yard and double garage. Seems that most homes in the area are listed in the $550k+ territory but are smaller and have less space. There are a few examples in the $700k range as well, some have triple garages and some don't. One around the corner was listed at $820ish, but had a bigger yard and a suite on top of the garage. WWBD?
    Ask Jordanlotoski or 89coupe
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Lived in the house and rented out the rooms or just lived rent free with family/gf while renting the whole house? If its the latter you would've lived rent free either way. Guessing the rental brought in minimal cashflow and mostly just paying down equity. Was the house a 10-12% return on equity? Mostly scenarios it would've still worked out better without dealing with a rental while earning higher returns completely passively.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Now take your poor judgement handling your own money and apply it to your voting skills.
    WTF does this even mean? How would you have done things different with the benefit of hindsight?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    ask jordanlotoski or 89coupe. He's a consumate professional and a sponsor
    fyp.

My Ride
    ute

Savage

My Ride
    Bicycle

You didn't borrow at all to finance the rental?
    15% was wrong. Punched in wrong numbers. Regardless it'll be around 5%.

I did borrow but the interest is almost not an issue after 2nd renewal.

Again, it's just some stupid Asian diversification investment plan and end up mostly stupid until 2023.

The good thing is other than initial down and time wasted on management, it really didn't cost me much beyond that.

WTF does this even mean? How would you have done things different with the benefit of hindsight?
    Not become a landlord? Because you know, it's actually a tremendous amount of risk to take on. If your choices are index funds or buying an "investment" property and you think those two things are the same, check your head.

- - - Updated - - -

15% was wrong. Punched in wrong numbers. Regardless it'll be around 5%.

I did borrow but the interest is almost not an issue after 2nd renewal.

Again, it's just some stupid Asian diversification investment plan and end up mostly stupid until 2023.

The good thing is other than initial down and time wasted on management, it really didn't cost me much beyond that.
    You don't know how to calculate your RoR then. A common mistake made by amateur landlords.

Not become a landlord? Because you know, it's actually a tremendous amount of risk to take on. If your choices are index funds or buying an "investment" property and you think those two things are the same, check your head.
    It wasn't an investment property. It was a principal residence that I moved out of because nothing was selling tail end 2014. It was about a 10% ROE for majority of the rental period. More about the wasted time than losing a couple points in returns.

Believe it or not without knowing the future there's different ways investments can pan out. Only thing we know for sure is the resident infallible hedge fund manager will criticize our judgement while making baseless assumptions.

My Ride
    NC1

But at least the prop value has gone up a bit.
    ultimately that's what you are banking on right
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Putting my house on the market next week and got prices that fluctuated 30% between realtors we interviewed.

Hopefully we’ve found the right price, though I still think we might be low. Does a second story really add 70%+ (in value) to a home? We’re fully renovated but bunagalow Vs. 2 story Houses on same street selling for 70% more than where were listed. Doesn’t make sense to me but I don’t know what people are looking for anymore

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    ultimately that's what you are banking on right
    Still index fund is better.

$60K on Dow in 2010 now worth $180K

$60K down + $45K in principle (after tax) + $60K in appreciation after closing cost = $165K

That's said, it's just another asset that you don't really have to worry about US politics to a degree. (like playing chicken with that stupid debt ceiling every few years).

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Putting my house on the market next week and got prices that fluctuated 30% between realtors we interviewed.

Hopefully we’ve found the right price, though I still think we might be low. Does a second story really add 70%+ (in value) to a home? We’re fully renovated but bunagalow Vs. 2 story Houses on same street selling for 70% more than where were listed. Doesn’t make sense to me but I don’t know what people are looking for anymore
    Large bungalow are hot with empty nesters that are having problem with stairs. Seniors keep snatching them up quick in my hood.

They are usually last home before they have to go to assisted living.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-25-2023 at 01:54 PM.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

We sold ours in the SW and got $35k over our asking price. That was about 2 months ago though.

Page 251 of 362 FirstFirst ... 241 250 251 252 261 ... LastLast