Quantcast
Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the bailout - Air Transat merger with Air Canada cancelled

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don’t fly much, do you?

The airline industry, when you look at all the ancillaries attached, is one of the largest sources of GDP in the country. Without flights, there are no hotel bookings, no taxi fares, no people eating in restaurants, or spending money on tourism, no car rentals, etc. And the tertiary effects of that, such as the restaurant workers, the hotel housekeeping staff, the airport security workers, the airport restaurant owners, the ramp guys and fuellers, hell even the guy washing the cars for enterprise rental all get shit canned because the airline industry isn’t moving people.

But I guess (according to you) allllll of those companies have unsustainable business models, right?
    You have a massively inflated sense of Air Canada’s importance on the scheme of the world
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    What problem?

If your "problem" is that we need to force the passengers of low cost routes to subsidize the prices of high cost flights ...then the entire premise is dumb.
    The problem 71/454 posted that you replied to saying open markets would be the solution. Which is why I asked how. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you actually had a thought, my fault

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Maybe we can make domestic air travel like postage. One price for every route regardless of distance or cost. That would work to solve one of the problems that's beening discussed here.
    The fact that we basically do that already, just to a lesser degree, is the problem

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    The problem 71/454 posted that you replied to saying open markets would be the solution. Which is why I asked how. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you actually had a thought, my fault
    Calm down there, sport. We're just having a conversation here, you don't need to get upset.

71/454 said that without competition, the popular routes would get more expensive. I said competition would cure that, and it would.

If you want to talk about whether or not we should have some ill-advised scheme to redistribute wealth from Vancouver/Toronto travelers to other less popular routes, then that is a different story.

but good for new entrants into the market.
    A new entrant can do that now if they wanted. If the prices were high enough we'd see a few more Flair Airlines pop up, another WestJet hopeful.

I guess prices just aren't high enough to be good for the consumer?

Calm down there, sport. We're just having a conversation here, you don't need to get upset.

71/454 said that without competition, the popular routes would get more expensive. I said competition would cure that, and it would.

If you want to talk about whether or not we should have some ill-advised scheme to redistribute wealth from Vancouver/Toronto travelers to other less popular routes, then that is a different story.
    He said with competition that would happen, which it would. After the larger companies undercut the smaller ones out of the market, they would raise the prices back up to profitability, it would be illogical to not do so. So it didn't even occur to me that you thought open markets would solve the problem of.....open markets. I was excited to think you had solved the less popular route problem lol

Also, don't get so defensive, no one is attacking you. Beyond is still your safe space
    Last edited by Antonito; 05-01-2021 at 07:16 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    He said with competition that would happen, which it would. After the larger companies undercut the smaller ones out of the market, they would raise the prices back up, it would be illogical to not do so. So it didn't even occur to me that you thought open markets would solve the problem of.....open markets. I was excited to think you had solved the less popular route problem lol

Also, don't get so defensive, no one is attacking you. Beyond is still your safe space
    I'm just being generous with my time trying to help you learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You have a massively inflated sense of Air Canada’s importance on the scheme of the world
    You also thought a million a was private jet money.

The conservatives led by Harper thought Air Canada was important enough to give loans to back in 09, the liberals are just following their lead. So as you said earlier, stop voting liberal won’t fix it unless you’ve gone NDP?
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

I'm just being generous with my time trying to help you learn something new.
    I’ve known about the gaps in your knowledge for years, don’t break a sweat proving it

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 71/454 View Post

The conservatives led by Harper thought Air Canada was important enough to give loans to back in 09, the liberals are just following their lead. So as you said earlier, stop voting liberal won’t fix it unless you’ve gone NDP?
    There are some realities to getting elected in Canada unfortunately.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Reading comprehension is clearly not your skill, nor is critical thought. I don’t expect much more from an Air Canada employee, I’m guessing destroying luggage is something closer to your forte?

Harpers main failing was trying to be too Liberal. As is the current MO of the CPC. You are right in there with our current dear leader though, still whining about Stephen Harper what? 6 years later? Guy clearly lives rent free in your head, might want to get that checked out.

Air Canada does not provide a unique or important enough “service” such that taxpayers should be on the hook to pay for it. And by it, I mean padding the pockets of Aor Canada’s shareholders. Because that’s all that the corporate welfare into Air Canada accomplishes. You are a fool if you think otherwise, or if you think that use throwing money at them will do anything for consumers, aside from drain their pockets with ever increasing taxation.

Everything the Canadian Government touches turns to shit, regardless of their political stripes. The only government policy worth supporting is the policy of less government. Everything else is regressive bullshit.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

I think we should get Canada Post to run a national airline. Nobody else allowed.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think we should get Canada Post to run a national airline. Nobody else allowed.
    Guaranteed cost anywhere in Canada.

No guarantee of arriving intact, or when they say they will.

Sounds very Canadian.

fact.

Appropriately enough, Air Canada lost the Canada Post contract when they wanted CP to pay a fuel surcharge, causing them to go with Kelowna Flightcraft (which was controversial as it was owned by Canada Post's partner in Purolator). That helped launch KF into bigger things before Cargojet got the $1B+ contract with Canada Post and Purolator.

Reading comprehension is clearly not your skill, nor is critical thought. I don’t expect much more from an Air Canada employee, I’m guessing destroying luggage is something closer to your forte?

Harpers main failing was trying to be too Liberal. As is the current MO of the CPC. You are right in there with our current dear leader though, still whining about Stephen Harper what? 6 years later? Guy clearly lives rent free in your head, might want to get that checked out.

Air Canada does not provide a unique or important enough “service” such that taxpayers should be on the hook to pay for it. And by it, I mean padding the pockets of Aor Canada’s shareholders. Because that’s all that the corporate welfare into Air Canada accomplishes. You are a fool if you think otherwise, or if you think that use throwing money at them will do anything for consumers, aside from drain their pockets with ever increasing taxation.

Everything the Canadian Government touches turns to shit, regardless of their political stripes. The only government policy worth supporting is the policy of less government. Everything else is regressive bullshit.
    All these supplementary arguments, I’m starting to think I’m living rent free in your head. You’re butthurt because your opinions were proven wrong. Loans were given and paid back in the past, the share price prior to Covid reflects their success.
    I’ll stop now as I feel like the top of your head is about to come off.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

All these supplementary arguments, I’m starting to think I’m living rent free in your head. You’re butthurt because your opinions were proven wrong. Loans were given and paid back in the past, the share price prior to Covid reflects their success.
    I’ll stop now as I feel like the top of your head is about to come off.
    No, I’m “buthurt” that my tax dollars, I’m sure this is not a concern for a systemic drain on society like yourself, are going toward propping up an established failure of an enterprise. Just a standard day in Canada on that front.

It is immensely entertaining to watch morons like you try to defend the indefensible though, you have provided the internet with much entertainment on that front so I must thank you for your service. Keep up the good work justifying the institutionalized welfare job known as Air Canada.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-02-2021 at 02:45 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

gettin' spicey!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

No, I’m “buthurt” that my tax dollars, I’m sure this is not a concern for a systemic drain on society like yourself, are going toward propping up an established failure of an enterprise. Just a standard day in Canada on that front.

It is immensely entertaining to watch morons like you try to defend the indefensible though, you have provided the internet with much entertainment on that front so I must thank you for your service. Keep up the good work justifying the institutionalized welfare job known as Air Canada.
    Hate to break it to you, but your tax dollars don't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. Do some research, it's not like the government cut AC and transat a big cheque. They gave them access to funding, should they choose to avail themselves but to date, have not taken a single penny.

You've been proven wrong about 13 times so far in this thread alone by my count. When you don't have an answer, or don't like an explanation, you just deflect (like the libtards in ottawa) or change the subject. You don't strike me as someone who flies more than once every couple of years, but for those who do rely on the safe and affordable air travel provided by Canada's carriers, it is important that those airlines have a guaranteed future here in Canada, which now they do thanks to the access to that funding.

Educate yourself, learn the facts, leave the feelings out of it.

Oh, and how would working for air canada be considered a "welfare job"?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Giving CERB instead of letting people go bankrupt....ok.
    Giving money to airlines who are responsible for the movement of society and economy instead of letting them fail....welfare.

Where is that clown emoji.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You haven’t proven anyone wrong on anything. You just have your entrenched opinions reinforced by YOUR personal feelings about the industry clouding everything you see or hear. Just because you have something to say on the matter doesn’t make anything settled.

Did you seriously just make the statement that Air Canada hasn’t taken a single penny from the government of Canada? Now who is delusional. Just because the amount of money doesn’t cross your personal threshold of what a “big check” is for a private enterprise to receive from the government is irrelevant.

Defending Air Canada’s shitty business and industry is just betraying your complete lack of understanding of economics and market economies. No matter how much you trot out the “but but but the rules” line. Educate yourself.

Air Canada is the welfare job. Not necessarily the jobs they employ ( I’ll leave that open ended considering how the company manages its affairs ).

No Canada’s existing carriers are not important, and no corporation should have a legislated guaranteed future, and no they should not have have access to taxpayer subsidized funding to that end. Not Air Canada. Not West Jet. Not Transat. Not bombardier. Not any private enterprise in this country.

I’m sure this doesn’t extend much beyond trying to ensure your inflated industry pensions are solvent for decades to come at the expense of everyone else in this country.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-02-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast