Quantcast
best and worst places to live in the US - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 149

Thread: best and worst places to live in the US

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CPS receives an average of 3300 missing persons reports a year.
    San Diego 2020: 37k adults + 3k children


    I would assume the ratio of happy endings is similar?
    They were people pining for the fjords.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The C
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We all a hometown bias but nobody should be looking down at anybody...except the deep south. Canada is a frozen tundra filled with dull socialists according to Americans. Might not be that far from the truth.

    Beyond has really been showing its boomer side. All the places that people listed tended to be retirement destinations. Nothing wrong with that but you might as well call it that instead of 'best/worst place to live'.

    What's the appeal of Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale? Vacationed there a few years back and have never been more bored. I get that its warm in winter but it had all the appeal of a gravel pit. Sedona was pretty kooky but nice though.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno what to tell you, it's also a problem here and while I would not WANT to live in a gated community, I could see myself ending up in one. Our riff-raff is just as bad as their riff-raff IMO, we just keep it to a slow burn because it is proven colder communities see less crime. Nobody doing wild shit when it is -30*C for two weeks.

    Most acreages nowadays have gates, and with good reason, rural crime is bonkers. Between Edmonton, Calgary, and Red Deer, I don't know a single community where I wouldn't lock the doors.

    I think Canadian's suffer from thinking we are better than the US in a lot of ways. I don't believe that to be the case. Our property crime stats outstrip the USA on average, while violent crime is higher in the USA. The USA is substantially richer than us as well, to the tune of almost $20k usd per person in GDP, and from what I can tell, for the most part, it is very easy to live somewhere that would be 25%-50% lower of a cost of living. So basically, our fat lazy slobs get more government handouts, so they don't look like fat lazy slobs. Yay us?

    https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/en/p...df?st=HG3I2hg8
    Calgary is a very unique city. We simply don't have ghettos of any sort. The worst it gets is Forest Lawn and that's like the entire city of Etobicoke.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,272
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Agreed Phoenix has never really recovered from downturn in my opinion.
    Just a sprawled out place. I guess it's only a few hours to the ocean so there's that but definitely not a day trip on a consistent basis.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rc51 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Houston it seems they don't just pull guns anymore, they just start shooting. I think reports indicate an average of 5 shooting a day lately.

    Road rage shootings are up to the point where the mayor basically said in a press conference "Assume everyone has a gun".

    - - - Updated - - -
    Must be all the dumbfuck yuppies moving there from the shit hole gunless states they created. Assuming everyone has a gun, is exactly why they never had road rage and crime issues in Texas.

    Speaking of Texas, just about anywhere in that state would be top of my list to relocate to. Arizona would be great as well. Las Vegas is the dream if I ever get an online business established enough to quit working a "job".

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    What's the appeal of Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale? Vacationed there a few years back and have never been more bored. I get that its warm in winter but it had all the appeal of a gravel pit. Sedona was pretty kooky but nice though.
    Well that is more appeal than Canada. Plus like you said, it's warm in the winter there.

    I find the argument people making about it being too hot in the summer at some of these places rather comical. We live in a frozen dump that you can't do anything outside for 2 months a year. It's just polar opposite in the south, except that for those 2 months I don't have to own a special set of tires(or worse yet a dedicated winter beater), don't have to bundle up to go out, just start the car to precool it, don't have to own a full tote of coats and winter gear, and you can still drive your nice car during those months.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,405
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    There is too hot, which is essentially what Phoenix is right now , 33-38 degrees.

    Then there is weeks of sustained 40+ from June to September. Every year. Tires melt off your car hot.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,566
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Everyone in really hot places don't go anywhere without air-conditioning anyways. Humid hot sucks.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Sounds good to me.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,272
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    You don't know hot until you go to Singapore.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,405
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't know hot until you go to Singapore.
    Next you are going to be calling my back yard too big
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The C
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Phoenix being a dump of a sprawled out suburbia aside I will concede that an overlooked part of being in a brutally hot place is the late evenings and early mornings are really nice. You don't get that reprieve from the weather in Canadian winters. It's bone chilling cold in day and worse at night. There are times where it's still hot as an oven in Vegas even at night but I don't think it's too often. Although not really sure what you'd do in those cities when the weather is nice besides hangout in the backyard.

    Vegas is even more of a dump than Phoenix. They say Florida is the worst of America I'd say Vegas is a close second. Pretty trendy amongst los angelinos to move into a mansion in surrounding areas of Vegas right now.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is too hot, which is essentially what Phoenix is right now , 33-38 degrees.

    Then there is weeks of sustained 40+ from June to September. Every year. Tires melt off your car hot.
    You say this like it's a bad thing. Obviously different strokes and all that. Personally I'll trade +40 summers for ever seeing snow again in my life.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,900
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You say this like it's a bad thing. Obviously different strokes and all that. Personally I'll trade +40 summers for ever seeing snow again in my life.
    Same. Winter fucking sucks.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're kidding yourself if you think acreages have gates for security. 99/100 of acreages with gates don't have fences.
    Then what do they have them for? And I don't know what acreages you are looking at, but any I see that "don't have a fence" typically have a big ditch in front from the road or are treed off, which is as effective if not more effective than a fence.

    Including ours, my parent's, my sister's, and in general quite a few places we go through. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most acreages with gates DO have some sort of property protection beyond the gate.

    Thieves are criminals of opportunity. Impeding their path is a pretty good way to get them to leave you alone.

    But its not really here nor there. Canada is not much better than USA when it comes to crime stats overall, and a lot of that can be attributed to climate and honestly, probably lead paint and leaded gasoline (fascinating research available in this area).

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same. Winter fucking sucks.
    Uhg, double quoting But I just wanted to say I 100% agree. The older I get, the less I care for it. You can travel for any of the winter recreations, unless you are a hardcore snowboard/ski/sled person, it doesn't make sense to be here.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Been feeding my kids lead for years so that they can handle the urban jungle.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    08 Porsche CTT
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Scottsdale area is great, lots to do: golf, hiking, restaurants, various day trips, and if you like cars it has a great car scene. You also have NLF/NHL/NBA/MLB, Waste Management Open, Barret Jackson etc.
    _____ASP______

    current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I'm not a Phoenix fan - there are places you can be comfortable for 12 months of the year. Phoenix isn't one of them.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,900
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then what do they have them for? And I don't know what acreages you are looking at, but any I see that "don't have a fence" typically have a big ditch in front from the road or are treed off, which is as effective if not more effective than a fence.

    Including ours, my parent's, my sister's, and in general quite a few places we go through. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most acreages with gates DO have some sort of property protection beyond the gate.
    I guess things are different near Edmonton. I've spent very little time there, thank god.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,123
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I loved my time living in South Carolina. (Rock Hill) The commute into Charlotte wasn't too bad. Housing, food...booze, all really cheap. Great weather. Under 3 hours to the beach or Smokey Mountains for hiking.

    Attachment 98743
    Looks great; why did you move?


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canada's Worst places to live

    By 911fever in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 36
    Latest Threads: 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
  2. Automotive Auctions the best and the worst

    By benijaunah in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM
  3. What's the best and worst part of your job?

    By HybridTheory in forum Careers
    Replies: 66
    Latest Threads: 08-14-2006, 08:04 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 10-19-2004, 08:19 PM
  5. Best places good local places to get Epoxy/resin in Calgary.

    By shadow in forum Cosmetic and Styling Modifications
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 09-13-2004, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •