Quantcast
Fees for using Kananasikis - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fees for using Kananasikis

My Ride
    ute

sweet. I wish they made it way more.

I wonder what the fine print is around the 2 plates. Two solo cars could probably split the $90 fee to make it half price.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would you do?
    The stats show that in 2020 about 290,000 camping reservations were made, which is about 100,000 more than 2019. The stat they quote states 5 million visitors in the park in 2020. Pretty obvious that due to the pandemic people needed options for activities. The outdoors are considered a "safer" choice for the public.

The minister stated the park well exceeded its budget for the year, and the goal of the program is $15 million in fees generated. The creation of new programs often costs the public more money than the programs generate. In my opinion, adding more government programs in areas where programs already exist tends to just create bureaucratic bloat. This UCP government seems hell-bent on spending money towards image vs results, for example, the whole Energy War Room nightmare.

Don't waste money creating a "new" program, look to the people who currently run those parks, ask them what they need, and then give it to them and monitor impact. Provide more Conservation staff, enforce current parking restrictions (that alone will reduce people in the parks if that is the goal) and increase the garbage bins and collection frequency. I don't believe them at all that the park will see all the revenue from the program, and they always quote the expected revenue without ever mention the operational cost.

So my long-winded answer lol? Quit the bullshit with wasteful image building crap like the Energy War Room. Don't expect us to believe this fee will actually generate $15 Million for the parks directly. Focus back on other government waste spending. Increase funding for the parks and entrust the current parks system to fix the problems they see.

Oh and if you could show some actual leadership around this pandemic and lockdowns, that would be great.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

In other news, Buster is looking for a bodyguard to keep all the poors a minimum of 10 feet away from him.

They should put a solar panel array alongside the highway with appropriate sized Lifepo4 batteries at touristy (and sunny) spots, and then make it free to use for anyone who paid the pass. Thats my take, impresses the tourists and get high visibility as saviours of the earth.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-27-2021 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    The stats show that in 2020 about 290,000 camping reservations were made, which is about 100,000 more than 2019. The stat they quote states 5 million visitors in the park in 2020. Pretty obvious that due to the pandemic people needed options for activities. The outdoors are considered a "safer" choice for the public.

The minister stated the park well exceeded its budget for the year, and the goal of the program is $15 million in fees generated. The creation of new programs often costs the public more money than the programs generate. In my opinion, adding more government programs in areas where programs already exist tends to just create bureaucratic bloat. This UCP government seems hell-bent on spending money towards image vs results, for example, the whole Energy War Room nightmare.

Don't waste money creating a "new" program, look to the people who currently run those parks, ask them what they need, and then give it to them and monitor impact. Provide more Conservation staff, enforce current parking restrictions (that alone will reduce people in the parks if that is the goal) and increase the garbage bins and collection frequency. I don't believe them at all that the park will see all the revenue from the program, and they always quote the expected revenue without ever mention the operational cost.

So my long-winded answer lol? Quit the bullshit with wasteful image building crap like the Energy War Room. Don't expect us to believe this fee will actually generate $15 Million for the parks directly. Focus back on other government waste spending. Increase funding for the parks and entrust the current parks system to fix the problems they see.

Oh and if you could show some actual leadership around this pandemic and lockdowns, that would be great.
    Your solution is "more government efficiency". Good luck with that.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    How would the 15$ per day option work? Are they going to set up toll booths like Banff? Is it electronic with an app?
    I require an attendant that speaks French and Cree, but not English.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    More conservation staff, enforcement of parking, increase # of bins/collection frequency all costs money. So you're saying they should just cut other programs outside of parks (or more likely put it on AB's HELOC) to pay for this?

My Ride
    Edge

I wish they made it less. I just want to fish once in a while or go for a short hike. I don't think I will go enough to justify $90 and $15 to fish for a few hours seems a bit steep. Although, it will likely keep the crowds down a bit and maybe be better for fishing.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

After reading the rules its unclear whether or not you need one to visit Canmore? its within the map where the pass is required.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    More conservation staff, enforcement of parking, increase # of bins/collection frequency all costs money. So you're saying they should just cut other programs outside of parks (or more likely put it on AB's HELOC) to pay for this?
    Yes. Like the war room. This fee is gonna make up 1/3 of warroom... so why not just cancel that sham?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    After reading the rules its unclear whether or not you need one to visit Canmore? its within the map where the pass is required.
    The town of canmore is private land. Go into park land nearby (grassi lakes, ha long, Nordic centre), you need pass.

Honestly I don’t see this solving crowding at places like Highwood pass, but maybe reduce the half dayers that are using Upper K Lake as a picnic spot instead of in Calgary.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 04-27-2021 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Your solution is "more government efficiency". Good luck with that.
    LOL come on man, let me hold onto one fantasy.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

If the money actually goes back into the region then great, dare to dream I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Yes. Like the war room. This fee is gonna make up 1/3 of warroom... so why not just cancel that sham?
    i don't disagree that the war room was dumb. I would actually support both (this user fee and canceling the war room). As long as AB is running a deficit they gotta do what they can to save costs and generate revenue.

I had 2 x sat morning tee times last summer at Kananaskis.

When we were leaving afterwards around noon ish... every trail head was full and parking was along the highway on each side for quite a ways as well.

Not sure if its like that every Saturday but seemed a bit out of control. Maybe people were a bit stir crazy after the lockdown and winter etc...

Not sure if a user fee will calm this. Depends on enforcement I guess.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    I had 2 x sat morning tee times last summer at Kananaskis.

When we were leaving afterwards around noon ish... every trail head was full and parking was along the highway on each side for quite a ways as well.

Not sure if its like that every Saturday but seemed a bit out of control. Maybe people were a bit stir crazy after the lockdown and winter etc...

Not sure if a user fee will calm this. Depends on enforcement I guess.
    It is like that at the moment and has been since start of March.

Excellent news.

Fingers crossed some cheap campers will cancel their reservations this summer over the fees

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd be more ok with this if it were a tempory solution to a temporary problem. In 3 years, the parks will have almost the same number of visitors as it did pre-covid, except this will never be rescinded.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Everyone wants better parks services, they just get real ornery when asked to pay for it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast