Quantcast
Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle? - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 125 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy or is this the worst time ever to buy a vehicle?

My Ride
    ute

I can sell my 4 year old atlas for an average depreciation of $230/month.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve had people offer me $4000 over what I paid for my 335d, the problem is replacing it is difficult and costly. FRS and 4Runner I snapped up cheap as well, and the cats in our Crown Vic are worth more than a what we paid for the car now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO you are better off buying a new vehicle at MSRP than a used car at inflated cost. The people paying $$$ for these used cars are going to get hit hard when the market corrects especially the ones that took out loans on them.
    Totally agree. This has been true of pickups for a few years now, Covid just made it worse. Availability is a problem now, but some vehicles are sitting on lots ready for you to pay MSRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Talked to one of the neighbors and this is almost too good to be true(hes not the type to BS tho) but maybe not, he had a 21 ram 3500 that he got in jan this year for 88k and he sold it back to the dealer for 92k last month. He needed it off his name for a mortgage and he was totally expecting to lose 10k
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    This and that.

Just sold my FIL's 2019 F150 XLT (mostly basic with limited options like heated seats) with 9K km's that he purchased for 53K all-in in 2019 for $50K. I am sure if I held out, I could have gotten more but he didn't care and just wanted it out due to the lack of use. Such a pain free transaction.

On the flip side, also trying to sell my dad's Wrangler JL 2018 next and market research suggests the only 2 or 3 that are out there are listed $5-$6K over what he paid in 2018. Though I did it list it once before and got low balled and got pissed off and I still have it on with same thing happening. First day, I got 20 message approx. with one of the assholes offering $1500 over ask. Comes to look at it, commits to buy and fucking ghosts us. I go down the line and of course the momentum is lost and then people start lowballing even on an already low'ish aggressive asking price compared to the other equivalents. The first mofo crops up again after a week of seeing the add still on and says I will pay you ask. Told him to fuck-off and that we rather sell for less than asking than to give it to him.

Such a fucking hit and miss this Kijiji thing is. Main reason I didn't list my Rebel online, didn't wanna deal with this nonsense, took a bit of a bath on trade (even in this market) just cause I only had it a couple of months but I rather do that than waste my time. Sucks I have to deal with it for the folks but it is what it is.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 10-28-2021 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Anyone want a. V6 mustang convertible

I don’t even gaf if you flip it the next day for profit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I've been thinking about listing one of my cars lately.. we don't really need an extra one during winter. The problem is I've no idea if the market will come back to earth by the time I want to replace it in April.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't count on the market dropping much for a long time. The shortages aren't particularly temporary. Now if you were going to sell a used car anyway, and don't mind paying full MSRP for a new on in April, then giv'er
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Anyone want a. V6 mustang convertible
    I shall alert all the middle-aged secretaries I know
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Except no one gives me free money.
    You didn't fraud hard enough.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Don't count on the market dropping much for a long time. The shortages aren't particularly temporary. Now if you were going to sell a used car anyway, and don't mind paying full MSRP for a new on in April, then giv'er
    This. Chip shortages from oversight broke first, but now production being down due to COVID shutdowns is affecting everything else down the chain. Then there's catching up to the backlog.

If COVID sticks around, repeat waves every 6-8 months that we've been seeing, and SE Asia keeps shutting things down this will be a long road to production recovery.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the chip shortages are pretty fascinating as well. It's pretty low-tech chips that are often the issues.

Had an example at my work this fall. We use a simple $9 chip for one of the tools we sell. Been using that same chip for years, usually available in stock at multiple warehouses in quantities of thousands. Currently out of stock everywhere, and estimated 18 month delivery time. We need 30 to ship an order, so we had to find a different chip, which costs us $10, but we had to re-write the firmware and re-engineer the tool to accept, which has cost us 2 months delay, and many tens of thousands of dollars of engineering time. We bought 250 of this new chip so we wouldn't have to go through that again.

Now on a car, there may be 50 of these "low tech" chips, so the problem is compounded greatly.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

the chip shortages are pretty fascinating as well. It's pretty low-tech chips that are often the issues.
    That's precisely why the auto industry has been hit so hard as every part on a vehicle is micronmanged to the penny and outside of ECU or TCU, the rest of the electronics are as cheap (low-tech) as possible which is why you see a lot of slow responding infotainment systems (Subaru, Honda, VW, etc) as the selected hardware is typically the bare minimum required to run the software.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Had an example at my work this fall. We use a simple $9 chip for one of the tools we sell. Been using that same chip for years, usually available in stock at multiple warehouses in quantities of thousands. Currently out of stock everywhere, and estimated 18 month delivery time. We need 30 to ship an order, so we had to find a different chip, which costs us $10, but we had to re-write the firmware and re-engineer the tool to accept, which has cost us 2 months delay, and many tens of thousands of dollars of engineering time. We bought 250 of this new chip so we wouldn't have to go through that again.

Now on a car, there may be 50 of these "low tech" chips, so the problem is compounded greatly.
    Yeah, its all the dirt cheap shit that everything uses. Atmega328p was released 2012 and runs on ancient 8 bit architecture but its reliable and easy to throw in anything. Fucking can't get it anywhere. We used to pay<1.5$ a chip and now its 3-4$ a chip with long ass lead times of months. Not to mention all the PCBA houses are backed up and what used to be 1-2 week turnaround is 1-2 months.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

in my professional life, i usually deal with dumb iron.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Trying to forecast into next spring as the lease on my ex-Car2Go CLA250 is up and wonder about buying it out then flipski. Buyout is around $27K and currently on pace for sub 50K kms on it. If there may be a market I might want to beat the dealership to the market once the 24 month lease units come back.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Trying to forecast into next spring as the lease on my ex-Car2Go CLA250 is up and wonder about buying it out then flipski. Buyout is around $27K and currently on pace for sub 50K kms on it. If there may be a market I might want to beat the dealership to the market once the 24 month lease units come back.
    If you don’t need the car, list it high now before the lease is over. If it doesn’t sell by then, return the car. Literally zero risk venture.

If you need the car, good luck finding a replacement.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just have no car for 4-6-12 months. That's the real winning move.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I hear bicycles are well received on Beyond

My Ride
    NC1

Just have no car for 4-6-12 months. That's the real winning move.
    Just not be picky and take whatever is available. That's how I pick them.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 18 of 125 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast