Quantcast
Vaccinating your kids for Covid19 - opinion poll - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: When covid19 vaccination is available for ages 5-12, I will:

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Immediately sign up my kids - No time to waste!

32 31.37%
  • Probably sign up my kids, maybe not right away - Why rush?

23 22.55%
  • Probably not sign up my kids - Don't see the benefit

26 25.49%
  • I don't have kids, but I like polls.

21 20.59%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccinating your kids for Covid19 - opinion poll

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe both are in fact relevant. Especially when side-effects of the vaccine, while infrequent, can severely impact the quality of life for those who it happens to.

Why would I vaccinate a 5 year old who has essentially 0 risk of severe outcome of covid? And should they catch covid and have mild disease, as the vast vast majority have had, could have longer lasting and more effective immunity? Why is that not relevant?

In your point 4 you state that vaccines have shown excellent safety through their trials. Yet there can be an increased risk of side effects such as myocarditis, especially if you happen to hit a vein during the vax, which is definitely possible since as far as im aware the nurses dont aspirate when injecting here in ab. I don't see how you can just blanket statement say that those aspects are not relevant to the decision.
    Nothing in life is 0 risk including covid in kids… and myocarditis is not, so far, an issue in 5-11, it is a different dose.

The risk of myocarditis is way higher if you get covid, if that is what your worried about. I would much more worried about long lasting lung issues that people are getting from covid in my 5 yr old.

And for the last time.. you don’t get better immunity from getting covid, that myth has now been debunked.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People can round down the risk of the virus to "essentially zero" but are worried about risks of the vaccine? Please. Don't pretend you used math here, you are just justifying your feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I dunno, 19 for 19398 is 0.2 or when adjusted for 4x wild cases vs known cases gives you a 0.05% chance of ending up in hospital from covid as a 5 year old, including underlying conditions. So im not rounding down to essentially zero, it statistically is essentially zero.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You put your kid in a car seat.

You put gates on the stairs.

You tell them to look both ways before crossing the street.

Just get your kid the damn shot to give them a better chance against another relatively low COS but potentially serious risk to your kids health. If it helps reduce transmission and get this bs behind us that’s a happy bonus.

Don’t be an idiot.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I was too drunk last night to actually do a wordy response to your original post and I've been too lazy/busy to write something out previous. However, I think you're genuinely interested in a discussion on the topic, so I'll cease being prickish about the whole thing.

I think you are mis-calculating how to interpret tail risks. In general this is something that all people struggle with on account of the human brain not being optimized for it.

We are also poor at making judgements on the relative merits of information in situations where we don't have complete data sets and must infer some conclusions from the data to make a judgement. So we need to identify the spots where assumptions are required and determine whether we can or should improve the data in those blind spots, or if we have sufficient data to be comfortable making an assumptions. After all, assumptions and inferring outcomes from data can be powerful- it's efficient and faster and that is a non-trivial benefit in a pandemic. Assumptions by their nature should be constantly monitored and changed as we get more data - that's just the nature of assumptions and inferences. It's problematic that people tend to anchor their assumptions but we're working with the human brain, a decidedly imperfect tool.

So, we have to use our current data, and some assumptions to make a binary decision: vaccinate a child or do not vaccinate a child. For the sake of simplicity, let's discuss vaccination in healthy children with no comorbidities. There appear to be almost no objections to vaccinating children with comorbidities.

Let's establish what we know:

1. Children are susceptible to covid infection.
    2. Children have not shown severe effects of covid at a rate comparable to adults,
    3. Vaccination in children moves the chance of infection down in a statistically significant manner
    4. mRNA vaccines have shown an excellent safety profile in clinical trials in children

I don't think any of the above are in dispute. If you feel differently, I'm sure you'll indicate where.

Okay, so let's move on to the hard part: the assumptions and inferences. These are the ones I feel are reasonable, but at the same time are not guesses per se.

1. The probability of long term negative effects of a vaccine is very low. Over a very large sample size of vaccines over a very long period of time, we know that negative vaccine side effects appear quite quickly after administration of the dose - well within the time period tracked by a clinical trial. We also know that the mechanism of the vaccine in a biological sense is not durable (mRNA half life is short). The ingredients in the mRNA vaccines are minimal compared to other vaccines. We have no reason to infer from our knowledge or data that mRNA vaccines represent any sort of long term safety issue. Assumption: the long term safety of the vaccine is excellent.

2. We know that children have a risk of severe covid effects, it's just low. Assumption: reducing the rate of infection in a statistically significant manner will move the chance of sever covid outcomes from low, to "almost zero".

Those who are vaccine hesitant, and particularly in children, are not making assumptions based on data, they are making guesses that are not based on data. Specifically, they are making a guess that the risk of a vaccine side effect is going to be higher than the risk of covid. This is actually understandable. People in general are poor at assessing the impact of low probability events. Here we are asking people to compare the consequences two low probability events, which doubles the error rate (Let's set aside for a moment that having your child potentially feel like shit from covid is a much more probable event). The crux of the problem here is a classic one as well: humans are not designed to contemplate big differences in orders of magnitude. It kinda breaks our brains. So we think of adjacent risks as being comparable even if they are an order of magnitude away different. If we infer (ie make an educated assumption) from the data what the probability of a long term vaccine side effect actually is, then we are not an order of magnitude or two off of the probability of a negative covid outcome - we are SEVERAL orders of magnitude away. At least.

So people are using guesses rather than data driven assumptions to create a false equivalency between two probabilities that are many decimal positions apart.
    I would agree with all of that from the theory perspective. But I would also say you're likely making the same mistakes in assumption that you are accusing anyone vaccine hesitant of making. You've made your own assumptions about vaccine safety and it's potential effects by utilizing the data and context that suits your emotional predisposition. Yes, certain assumptions need to be made, but your assumptions will be better when including more of the relevant data that is available.

As far as what we know.

1. Yes of course. Moot point as everyone is susceptible to covid infection.

2. I don't want to make assumptions, but based on how you wrote this it appears that you have drastically underplayed the data on severe outcomes in children vs adults. It was you that just mentioned "Order of magnitude" in regards to extremely small fractional percentage of differences. Yet here we have a massive disparity in severe outcome likelihood, but it reads as though you think it's just a small difference.

3. Pretty wildly debatable at best.

4. This is a subjective game being played here. What determines an "Excellent safety profile"? It is the most dangerous vaccine since the inception of VAERS, which might be small percentages we are talking about in comparison, but you've made the claim that these small differences equal order of magnitude differences in the long term. And the risks that are associated with this vaccine, tend to disproportionately affect children.

From a data perspective the risk of complications from either covid or covid vax are virtually non existent in children. However getting a vax guarantees the risk exposure of such, whereas not getting vaxxed is a gamble on whether there will be risk exposure to contracting the virus(which is a big factor you've left out of your assumptions), because there is no guarantee that you will contract covid. It's a coin flip no matter how you look at it, and why there shouldn't be any judgement around what other parents choose for their kids.

Got my “Get Vaccinated” flyer today

According to the flyer, “99.98% of those vaccinated have no serious side effects”

So what is a serious side effect? How under reported are side effects?

It’ll be interesting to see more reports hit mainstream as time marches on

Perhaps the tens of thousands healthcare “nuts” that won’t get vaccinated are seeing things that we aren’t.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I would agree with all of that from the theory perspective. But I would also say you're likely making the same mistakes in assumption that you are accusing anyone vaccine hesitant of making. You've made your own assumptions about vaccine safety and it's potential effects by utilizing the data and context that suits your emotional predisposition. Yes, certain assumptions need to be made, but your assumptions will be better when including more of the relevant data that is available.

As far as what we know.

1. Yes of course. Moot point as everyone is susceptible to covid infection.

2. I don't want to make assumptions, but based on how you wrote this it appears that you have drastically underplayed the data on severe outcomes in children vs adults. It was you that just mentioned "Order of magnitude" in regards to extremely small fractional percentage of differences. Yet here we have a massive disparity in severe outcome likelihood, but it reads as though you think it's just a small difference.

3. Pretty wildly debatable at best.

4. This is a subjective game being played here. What determines an "Excellent safety profile"? It is the most dangerous vaccine since the inception of VAERS, which might be small percentages we are talking about in comparison, but you've made the claim that these small differences equal order of magnitude differences in the long term. And the risks that are associated with this vaccine, tend to disproportionately affect children.

From a data perspective the risk of complications from either covid or covid vax are virtually non existent in children. However getting a vax guarantees the risk exposure of such, whereas not getting vaxxed is a gamble on whether there will be risk exposure to contracting the virus(which is a big factor you've left out of your assumptions), because there is no guarantee that you will contract covid. It's a coin flip no matter how you look at it, and why there shouldn't be any judgement around what other parents choose for their kids.

2. The difference between the risk of severe outcomes in children and adults is quite small relative to the difference between a negative vaccine outcome and a negative covid outcome. Both are small numbers, but in no way equivalently small.

3. No, we have the clinical trial data which shows statistically significant reduction in symptomatic infection risk. I wouldn't consider this an assumption or an opinion, but rather a fact.

4. The risks associated with the vaccine so far are very low. We do not yet have any direct data showing long term side effects, for obvious reasons. But we do not have a reason to believe that there will be long term side effects, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Assuring yourself exposure to the vaccine does not make the vaccine more risky relative to covid. All we have is unvaccinated status, and vaccinated status. There is no other choice to be made (even if you include previous infection). The error the vaccine hesitant are making is drawing a false equivalency between the probability of those risks.

I also don't subscribe to the notion that we should be comparing vaccine status to severe outcomes. Symptomatic infection is often terrible, even if you aren't "severe" with the side benefit of avoiding whatever long-covid might look like in the long term. Given the low rate of vaccine side effects, it is still worthwhile to use the vaccine to try to manage disease that does not meet the "severe outcomes" bar. I have no idea where people decided that the comparison should be severe outcomes vs vaccination.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I'm just going to leave this here for all the "vaccine's are safe" crowd. The fact that we are still learning about the effect of the spike proteins generated by the body in response to vaccines shows that we don't fully understand what is happening at a molecular level yet.

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/13/10/2056/htm

If DNA repair is impacted, this could lead to increased risk of cancer. The authors of the study recommend revising the vaccines to not generate full length spike proteins but to generate fragments instead which could mitigate the risks that they found.

Also LOL at whoever is neg repping me for posting a link to a journal article??

"Furthermore, our findings also imply a potential side effect of the full–length spike–based vaccine. This work will improve the understanding of COVID–19 pathogenesis and provide new strategies for designing more efficient and safer vaccines."

LOL at my neg reps:

"for whining about neg reps, and for "I'm just going to leave this here". Cunts say that."

real mature.
    Last edited by littledan; 11-15-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I have never heard of mdpi, is that a credible journal… I am only asking cause there is a lot of fake news these days … and other then big ones… I have no idea what is fake or not …

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here for all the "vaccine's are safe" crowd. The fact that we are still learning about the effect of the spike proteins generated by the body in response to vaccines shows that we don't fully understand what is happening at a molecular level yet.

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/13/10/2056/htm

If DNA repair is impacted, this could lead to increased risk of cancer. The authors of the study recommend revising the vaccines to not generate full length spike proteins but to generate fragments instead which could mitigate the risks that they found.

Also LOL at whoever is neg repping me for posting a link to a journal article??

"Furthermore, our findings also imply a potential side effect of the full–length spike–based vaccine. This work will improve the understanding of COVID–19 pathogenesis and provide new strategies for designing more efficient and safer vaccines."

LOL at my neg reps:

"for whining about neg reps, and for "I'm just going to leave this here". Cunts say that."

real mature.
    We don't know everything at the "molecular level" yet? Duh.

That's why there are hundreds of thousands of biologists around the world studying all manner of cells at the "molecular level."

It's also why we do not draw clinical conclusions based on in-vitro studies like the one you posted.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...kids-1.5673038

its approved, more jerbs to bend the curve...

My Ride
    *The First*

The math checks out.

Name:  Screenshot_20211119-114932_Meme Generator Free.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  472.6 KB

Wife has the kids names on the "list". Should know early next week when they're getting shipments and will be doing appointments.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    ute

other provinces are booking kids. Let's fucking go.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    other provinces are booking kids. Let's fucking go.
    Be nice to get deliveries from the federales as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Be nice to get deliveries from the federales as well.
    Vax landed in GTA on Sunday, Alberta has a press conference on Tuesday, so, i think we will know tomorrow
    Last edited by redline; 11-22-2021 at 07:34 PM.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Tomorrow 8am Santa comin to town …

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Appointment booked for Saturday…

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Hearing they are targeting under 5 approval for early 2022. Is that what everyone else is hearing? I know Rage2 was following it pretty close.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Hearing they are targeting under 5 approval for early 2022. Is that what everyone else is hearing? I know Rage2 was following it pretty close.
    6 months to 5 yrs study is ongoing now but everything I have heard is early 2022

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast