Quantcast
TMZ reports, Ken Block dead after snowmobile accident - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TMZ reports, Ken Block dead after snowmobile accident

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Sounds like he was climbing near his ranch and the sled fell back on him and pinned him. To the sled guys, is this a common danger?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like he was climbing near his ranch and the sled fell back on him and pinned him. To the sled guys, is this a common danger?
    Heard different via tiktok (yea i know, its all hearsay). His last video was a kobota grooming a ramp then there are pictures of the sled from the news absolutely demolished from the front. Sounds like he undershot/overshot the landing of a jump.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Could be absolutely true. My info sources are no better.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

The coming up short on a huge jump is far more plausible. But I suppose anything could have happened.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

R/snowmobiling mod claims to have been riding with him that day and stressed the importance of radio contact. The sheriff’s office has stated he rolled the machine on him, unclear if he was just trapped in the snow or if the weight caused internal injuries.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    '21 Taco

RIP.

Checked his IG last night and it's really weird to see his story showing the amount of snow on the snowmobiles before the accident happened.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

As somebody who doesn’t do much snowmobiling… If he was alone, looped out on a wheelie and the sled landed back on him, would it just suffocate him with a deep snowpack? Hard to get out from this situation without help?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    As somebody who doesn’t do much snowmobiling… If he was alone, looped out on a wheelie and the sled landed back on him, would it just suffocate him with a deep snowpack? Hard to get out from this situation without help?
    From what I’ve read it was either:
    1. Suffocated in snow
    2. Crush related injuries from all that weight smashing down (tmz has “injuries” listed so this would be my guess)

I’m going to stick with my plan of learning to splitboard instead of a sled
    Last edited by finboy; 01-03-2023 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    Z

I've very nearly had a sled land on me. I've run over myself as well on steep terrain. Definitely scary and the machines are heavy
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    I've very nearly had a sled land on me. I've run over myself as well on steep terrain. Definitely scary and the machines are heavy
    People don't understand the difference in lifting a sled when its on packed ground and lifting a sled in 4' of powder. You just don't get the same lifting ability.

My Ride
    Trucks

He may have mousetrapped himself and the others near him couldn't reach him in time, a very real danger for all mountain riders. But if the sled was smashed up, probably not then.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Doesn’t sound like the crash footage was legit, thread here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/snowmobilin...ajv/ken_block/

Don't know, but it is always best that a man goes out doing what he loves.

RIP.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Sledder here. What probably happened is what someone above said, he 'mousetrapped' himself. This is when the sled wheelies right over and traps the rider under the 500lb sled.
    In the past this didn't happen as much because the sleds had less power and longer tunnels (the metal cave above the track that can act like a wheelie bar). Newer sleds have shorter tunnels so they wheelie over backwards easier. Plus, turbos have come stock on 2 stroke sleds for 2-3 years, making their power at the 180hp level. I have such a sled, myself.

I had a friend die 4-5 years ago by his sled landing on him and suffocating him. He was the most experienced rider I knew. He was on the cover of one of my snowmobile calendars for those who remember.
    Last year, a friend of a friend's dad died getting mousetrapped on a new turbo sled.
    Last year I had to help a friend who got mouse trapped right in front of me. He was panicking, couldn't breath and was helpless under the machine's weight. Even with a buddy helping me, it was still tough to roll the sled out of the ditch it'd trenched with our friend under.
    This year, another friend got mousetrapped and needed help. He was also panicking.

Even with experience, these new sleds with extra big power and no 'wheelie bar' are prone to get riders into bad situations at the snap of a finger. My new sled is very spicy, for these reasons, and I'm trying to get up the learning curve on it, while always having 'eyes on me' of I'm going to be doing something that could put me under the sled/in a position that I need help. My spicy sled wheelying over and pinning me under is a real risk I'm trying to avoid and learn my machine to avoid it.

Avalanches have always been the #1 danger, but this type of accident is happening a lot more, lately.
    Last edited by Ekliptix; 01-04-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    Sledder here. What probably happened is what someone above said, he 'mousetrapped' himself. This is when the sled wheelies right over and traps the rider under the 500lb sled.
    In the past this didn't happen as much because the sleds had less power and longer tunnels (the metal cave above the track that can act like a wheelie bar). Newer sleds have shorter tunnels so they wheelie over backwards easier. Plus, turbos have come stock on 2 stroke sleds for 2-3 years, making their power at the 180hp level. I have such a sled, myself.

I had a friend die 4-5 years ago by his sled landing on him and suffocating him. He was the most experienced rider I knew. He was on the cover of one of my snowmobile calendars for those who remember.
    Last year, a friend of a friend's dad died getting mousetrapped on a new turbo sled.
    Last year I had to help a friend who got mouse trapped right in front of me. He was panicking, couldn't breath and was helpless under the machine's weight. Even with a buddy helping me, it was still tough to roll the sled out of the ditch it'd trenched with our friend under.
    This year, another friend got mousetrapped and needed help. He was also panicking.

Even with experience, these new sleds with extra big power and no 'wheelie bar' are prone to get riders into bad situations at the snap of a finger. My new sled is very spicy, for these reasons, and I'm trying to get up the learning curve on it, while always having 'eyes on me' of I'm going to be doing something that could put me under the sled/in a position that I need help. My spicy sled wheelying over and pinning me under is a real risk I'm trying to avoid and learn my machine to avoid it.

Avalanches have always been the #1 danger, but this type of accident is happening a lot more, lately.
    I've found it interesting that given the dangers, they don't have some kind of rollover protection to prevent this, to me sleds would see them more in line with a SXS rather than a quad or dirtbike, given the terrain you could usually push a quad off yourself because it doesn't crush you in to the ground like a sled does in snow.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post

to;dr

Sledding is for top Darwin Awards candidates.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    I've found it interesting that given the dangers, they don't have some kind of rollover protection to prevent this, to me sleds would see them more in line with a SXS rather than a quad or dirtbike, given the terrain you could usually push a quad off yourself because it doesn't crush you in to the ground like a sled does in snow.
    I’m my 25 yrs sledding experience, it has never happened to my riding buddies or I, until lately. It’s just a recent occurrence with the new machines willingness to wheelie right over backwards.

As far as sledding and the Darwin awards, there’s safe ways to do dangerous things. It’s my form of ‘play’.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    to;dr

Sledding is for top Darwin Awards candidates.
    Add high marking in avalanche country and it’s very true

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Sleds are the #1 thing that has kept me from playing in the backcountry (with any activity) in the winter… it’s not the “safe riders” …it’s the drunk idiot on top of the cornice that put all users at risk

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Add high marking in avalanche country and it’s very true
    I generally agree highmarking is very dangerous, and I don’t do it anymore because I’m smarter. But it depends on the snow conditions and snow pack, which most people don’t know/test. Learning to avoid being caught in an avalanche is the #1 tool to know in the backcountry sledding.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast