Quantcast
Separated, but living in the same house. Possible? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Separated, but living in the same house. Possible?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We already did a 1 month trial separation with her living in the same rental. It didn't teach her much.

Actually, Riander, I DON'T know. I know it is unconventional for certain, but although it isn't the clean break I probably need and it opens up the possibility of her screwing me again one way or another in the end, I actually think it IS a potential option.
    Ok well I'm telling you not to do it.

Could you perceivably do it? Yes. You already stated your mental health is at risk. What's more of a priority to you is the question? Save some $$$ from split, life this odd separation life, lose $$$ on split, actually begin life anew.

I know what I'd do, but you're not me!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If it’s done it done. Cut your losses.

Time will not fix this, it will make it much worse.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Step 1: Get the cost to break the mortgage early. Can you afford it?

Step 2: Don't leave the house or move out for any reason. Grounds for "abandoning the household" argument.

I could only see it working how you're saying is if you're both never going to be banging someone else again. Once that happens, it'll get very messy. Art room x1000.
    Well, we have some 600k equity in the house, so yeah, we can afford it. But the cost will suck, as we only re-signed one year ago.
    I will look into step 2. I have no intention of leaving the house until I have another place. And she's already left.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Ok well I'm telling you not to do it.

Could you perceivably do it? Yes. You already stated your mental health is at risk. What's more of a priority to you is the question? Save some $$$ from split, life this odd separation life, lose $$$ on split, actually begin life anew.
    Hence, why I am asking for opinions. All I have for the most part is a tiny bit of anecdotal accounts, but it's really hard to find much on the subject online. I could only pull up literally 3 websites where the scenario was similar. In most cases, people who do anything like this tend to swap between the house and a second place weekly. I feel this is an even harder scenario to succeed, frankly. I've also seen some living in the same house itself, but seeing the other person regularly seems like a brutal idea. This seems to be somewhat of a compromise to me, but the more I get comments, the more I realize it probably isn't realistic.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 03-29-2023 at 03:51 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

This sounds like living in hell to me. Might sound alluring due to the financial factors and kid but reality is shit will most likely hit the fan and will be regret down the road.

I'd look into how much your mortgage penalty fee would be, what you could get for your home, sort out what your game plan is in regard to divorce/possessions/money/what is being split and will you be raked over the coals.

Lots of financial factors to sort out but would you be willing to rent for a few years if you want to wait for interest rates to come back down before buying again?

Again, I couldn't personally do it for a wide array of reasons but sounds like a ticking time bomb if you did go the shared housing route.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Fun fact… there is a very little know product from the mortgage insurers specifically to payout a spouse… you can refi up to 95% of the value, consolidate debt, and even add a new co-signer. You might even be able to do a blend and extend (retaining your current rate for the existing term and loan amount)… if that information makes you rethink this decision

And if you suite the place, you could probably even use that potential income to help qualify

Edit: shit, $600k equity?? Talk to the existing lender about a blend and extend refi… and if you had a suite, how that would work for qualifying… if the additional income works to qualify after figuring out what you need to pay her out… suite the place, rent to anyone not related to you (cause, that’s a condition of qualifying the income) and just pay her out and be done… if you need cash for the separation agreement and renos, this is what private lending is for. Get a 2nd mortgage, and once the dust settles, pay it out from the refi proceeds
    Last edited by ercchry; 03-29-2023 at 04:00 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Sorry to hear about this Kloubek.
    Sort answer. NO. Just no. Don't do it. NO No No. Fucking NOOOOOO.

Longer answer.
    I did know someone who did. The husband lived in the basement. They had established rules. But there were problems. Big problems. From a mental health point. It was bad.
    Another girl I knew lived with her ex husband. He worked nights. So the arrangement worked. They did not see each other at all. But culturally they put family and money first as they were so poor. It was a different dynamic.

If you renovate the basement. What do you do if she does not leave or tries to manipulate your son? Where you going to go...? Why is she dictating to you what you should do..? Is that her idea or someone gave her that idea..?
    Have you seen the movie Gone Girl or Pacific Heights? If not, they are manditory viewing before you proceed. They are not just movies. They are documentaries. Worse still, what are you going to do when she goes through her Julia Roberts Vegan 'Eat Pray Love Phase'? Lets cut the bollocks and say it straight. All separated women go through that phase. Its not pretty. That will destroy your mental health.

Your partner has shown you her colours. What if you did have a agreement and she broke it. What if she makes a false alligation? You really think the court or Police system in the current policial climate is going to take your side over the mother?

I don't think this is healthy scenario for your son. Put yourself first. Kid will be fine.
    My late sister put her kids first over herself. We told her not to. In the end it was used against her and the kids turned against her as she died. Her narcaccist ex husband found a way back into the house. He was just sitting there waiting till she was at her weakest and most vunderable point.

Do not romanticize the scenario. Your subconcious will look to validate that this is a option. Its solves problems on paper. It is NOT a potential option. It potential option for you to get in a very complicated situation that is not your fault and get screwed years down the line.

Your home is your only safe space. Your mental health is your number one priority.

If your not feeling great mentally, reach out. Myself or anyone on his forum are happy to go for a beer and just listen.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Beer and chicken wings can't save the world, but sometimes they help.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Does anyone know a couple who have tried this, and how did it go?
    My wife worked with a couple that tried this, as they also had a little one. It didn't help anything that they were co-workers too, but Mrs.Tok heard both sides of many, many complaints. They made it work, but NOBODY was happy, and even more miserable than they were when they were "together". Especially when one starts bringing home new fuck friends.

After they finally decided to just sell the place after 2 or 3 years, they both agreed it was a terrible decision that they never should have tried, and both were much happier, and so was the kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

ok guys. I think I've garnered enough comments. Thank you Tik-Tok - hearing a first-hand account is helpful, and Ercchry, if I could give you another rep, I would. That's a solid option to investigate.

Contrary to the crap we typically see on Beyond when it comes to emotionally-charged situations, you guys have been very helpful. Thank you.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Wait until she starts talking to the clan of divorcées they will for sure put into her head how much she deserves. She will rake you over the coals for the house and support payments.

My Ride
    ute

ok guys. I think I've garnered enough comments. Thank you Tik-Tok - hearing a first-hand account is helpful, and Ercchry, if I could give you another rep, I would. That's a solid option to investigate.

Contrary to the crap we typically see on Beyond when it comes to emotionally-charged situations, you guys have been very helpful. Thank you.
    Any time. Glad to help.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Okay now that we've been helpful, pics of soon to be ex-wife.....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Oh man RIP
    Praying for you
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Follow those 2 recommendations.

Research on nesting. It's best that one of you get to keep the home and kid can come back to it. Avoid switching school if possible.

One of my buddy is going thru this right now and his case is 10x worse than yours as his ex went to cops falsely accused him on abuse. The money thrown at lawyers to clear his name and get his kid back is stupid. That's the problem when you don't know when to call it quit when it's over and you at least realize that.

But having his kid back on weekends in her old home is comforting and things are 100x better now they are in separate homes.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-29-2023 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I've been through a divorce. It's not fun. You'll be ok in the end if not 100x better off. Take care of the kid and try to keep things amicable. I gave everything to my exwife just so she'd fucking leave. I started completely over.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Lease

I hope you’re keeping the Jag and giving her the Range Rover to deal with

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

My ex moved in with my neighbour (townhouse). It made everything much worse and my life basically stayed on hold for the subsequent 2 years before I made a true clean break and went full no contact.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Do you have a lawyer yet?

Have the courts accepted your separation agreement?

How far along are you in the process?

A friend went through this not long ago, and it was ugly.

is it REALLY her narcissism, or your insecurity? What is wrong with you that you need your wife to be your emotional crutches? No one can do that indefinitely. You need to find out why you are a wreck that needs emotional support.
    Last edited by Yolobimmer; 03-29-2023 at 07:44 PM.
    MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

My Ride
    *The First*

Do the opposite of whatever ^it just said.

I didn't live with one of my ex's but we worked on the same floor. It was a nightmare. Felt like her eyes were on me all the time, particularly when I was talking to female co workers.

I can't imagine living in the same roof as her when we weren't together. Good luck, usually the right decision is the hardest one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast