Quantcast
Review: Country Hills Hyundai - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Country Hills Hyundai

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Thumbs down Review: Country Hills Hyundai

I’m gonna preface this with “why would you expect any different”. We all know nobody likes car dealers, and yes I wasn’t expecting much from this encounter but I will still post my review.

As you’ve probably seen, I’m trying to sell a car here in marketplace, this morning I got a message from Country Hills Hyundai asking if they could view the car and make an offer. I knew it was probably a waste of time but several other dealer offers were very close to what I wanted for the car so I decided to respond and offer to show them the car. I made it clear what my bottom dollar was and they said it was probably possible if the car was nice.

I brought them the car in the rain (not ideal, car was clean sitting at home before hand but this was my choice). I enter the dealer and wait at the reception desk while seemingly being ignored by the person at the desk who is counting change in her wallet, finally after 3 or so minutes she asks me if I need something and I ask to speak to the person who messaged me on Kijiji, she calls them and I wait. I speak to the person who messaged me, who then hands me off the the “used car or sales manager” (can’t remember which it was). We go out to the car and he starts looking it over, pops the hood and looks all around (totally fair, my day job is inspecting and buying vehicles and I do the same), looks at the brakes does a quick walk around the car once, nothing too in depth. During this he drags one of the two key fobs directly across the paint on one fender while poking around, I ask him to be careful. He then gets in and starts the car, looks around at the instrument cluster, changes the drive modes and starts revving the car (kind cringe). We then go for a test drive (I made it clear I wasn’t leaving the car unattended, I do not trust anyone at a dealer not to “bag” my car) during which he does a bunch of basically idle rpm full throttle pulls (why?). He’s ok at manual but not smooth with the clutch and is resting his hand on the gear lever while the car is moving in gear (not great for the synchros but I decided not to make an issue of it, it’s just a short test drive after all). He also does a couple medium brake applications from 80km/h (no issues with the brakes, pads are at least 75% thickness and zero pulsation or pull etc). He then proceeds to send it back into the parking lot at speed (I would have preferred he slowed down over the curb but again not going to call him out).

We head back into the dealer and he leaves me on my own for 10 mins. When he comes back he immediately offers me $2k less than what I already said was my bottom dollar. He tried to explain to me that the car need tires and brake rotors to pass an AMVIC inspection (the car absolutely does not need brakes, there is zero pulsation, pull or noise, pads are over 70% thickness, tires would pass inspection no problem but I agreed they aren’t “brand new” by any means). I reiterate my bottom dollar and let him know that I disagree fully that the car would need any work to pass an inspection. He continues to argue with me that it needs “at least $2000 of work to be saleable”. I reiterated that that is an outright lie, and that if my bottom dollar doesn’t work for themit’s no problem for me, I can take the car home. He tries yet again to negotiate me down, this time telling me the car is an “undesirable spec” and retail value for it is what I want for it so I’m asking too much. I point out again I am happy to take the car home, it is clear that the number doesn’t work for both of us. He ups his price $1000 but again tells me the car needs work to be safe, I ask him how he knew the car needed tires when he never looked, touched or measured the tread depth on them. At this point I let him know that I am both trained in automotive (AST through SAIT) as well as inspect and buy vehicles for my day job, and that he was not being truthful with me. Again I tell him my number is my number and I would take the car and leave. He continues to try and beat me down, telling me about how the dealer has to finance the car while it’s in their inventory and it’s always depreciating, which is fine but has nothing to do with the matter at hand, he again brings up that the car is “undesirable” in spec and that he would be spending $2000 on reconditioning to sell the car at retail for what I want for it. He brings up the fact that the car is depreciating constantly while I own it, I tell him that doesn’t bother me and I’m happy to keep the car if I can not sell it. I also bring up that I’ve looked country wide at both private sales and dealer sales on multiple platforms for similar cars, and I know that my car at asking price (higher than my bottom dollar) is the second cheapest one country wide despite having half the mileage of the cheapest car in the country. At this point im getting a little spicy I’m thinking to myself “wow so he’s come up $1000 in price but his math coming out of his mouth works out to a $1000 loss on sale if he buys it and sells it for what he claims it will retail for” but I don’t say anything about that. He uses the line “we are in the business to make money” and I’m internally laughing to myself. I then counter off that he sells me a brand new car for $4100 under MSRP total discount and I would accept his offer that’s $1000 under my bottom number to buy my car. I know that this wasn’t ever going to happen but I’m ready to be a bit of a dick back. His response was that the new car in question “only has $500 of dealer profit at msrp, let alone $4100 under msrp”. He leaves and comes back 5 minutes later with the keys and tells me “nothing I can do”. Finally I am able to leave with my car.

Again I say this experience is not unexpected, but I feel there could have been a ton more professionalism. I definitely don’t appreciate being referred to as “man” when I am a potential customer, being directly lied to and being told over and over that I am asking too much money and I need to sell the vehicle to the dealer for less. The whole conversation should have been much shorter and less aggravating if the person had accepted the first, second or third time that I was not interested in their lower offer. Overall other dealers that have made me offers that are both slightly higher value wise and also a lot better to deal with.
    Last edited by Twin_Cam_Turbo; 06-19-2023 at 07:50 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's shitty that wasting people's time and frustrating them seems to be a key part of the dealership model.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Yeah, I did this once...
    Now everytime a dealer calls me to make an offer I tell them to send someone to me, or make a written offer before I step on site.

Shitty deal.

My Ride
    V8s

Checks out.

I did one of these while I was selling my gla45. The experience was much more positive than yours, but I still didn’t sell it to them, cause in the end they were still out to try and make a killing, not a reasonable profit.

During the high point on the graph during the lock down, we would get weekly calls from dealers trying to buy back several vehicles. Our ZR2, my father's Pacifica (in my name), etc. Strangely none on the LC, but still a lot of these calls. This post makes me glad I never bothered - I do have a positive relationship with a couple dealers/sales/managers, but going to an unfamiliar one seems to always be "number suck".

Fuck that guy for how he drove your vehicle Twin Cam, you should have told him after his first stupid full rev pull that based on his stationary revs, poor manual skills, and the rubbing your keys against your car, that you wanted him to pull over. I know, easy to say in retrospect, but I imagine you must have been fuming. Makes me want to purposefully fuck with him myself now.

edit - Twin Cam Turbo - was this your M240i, the perfect spec one you got from a relative that you've posted before? Holy shit, if that was my car and that tard drove it like that, I'd try to be playing a fair game of punch face at the earliest convenience. What a completely inconsiderate dick, that isn't just some old used car like I envisioned reading this thread without checking out the used forum first...
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-19-2023 at 08:24 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    During the high point on the graph during the lock down, we would get weekly calls from dealers trying to buy back several vehicles. Our ZR2, my father's Pacifica (in my name), etc. Strangely none on the LC, but still a lot of these calls. This post makes me glad I never bothered - I do have a positive relationship with a couple dealers/sales/managers, but going to an unfamiliar one seems to always be "number suck".

Fuck that guy for how he drove your vehicle Twin Cam, you should have told him after his first stupid full rev pull that based on his stationary revs, poor manual skills, and the rubbing your keys against your car, that you wanted him to pull over. I know, easy to say in retrospect, but I imagine you must have been fuming. Makes me want to purposefully fuck with him myself now.

edit - Twin Cam Turbo - was this your M240i, the perfect spec one you got from a relative that you've posted before? Holy shit, if that was my car and that tard drove it like that, I'd try to be playing a fair game of punch face at the earliest convenience. What a completely inconsiderate dick, that isn't just some old used car like I envisioned reading this thread without checking out the used forum first...
    Yeah it was the M240i. In hindsight I should have got their offer before they test drove and just noped out of there. The other two dealers that have made offers didn’t even care if they drove it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had a dealer try something similar with my C63.

They didn’t even bother to make me an offer after 5 minutes with me, but did try and sell me a ridgeline.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Most of these skuzzy dealers that offer to buy cars are the same. I'll only deal with brokers who know what they're buying and you settle on a price either on the phone or through email/kijiji messaging. I refuse to waste my time driving anywhere and fucking around with these guys.

Should of been more direct with him that hes full of shit.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

This would have been the perfect opportunity to use the four squares on them.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Had the same thing happen to me from Northwest Acura. Wasted an hour and a half of my time

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

The GMC dealer is calling me lately telling me how much my truck is worth. Come buy a new piece of shit and we'll lowball you on your current piece of shit. I no longer have any need to buy a brand new car. I just cant stomach how awful these dealers are.

I'll roll on this truck until they present an electric grid that can handle all these EVs in 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

We bought a baby hauler here and they pulled the same shit tactics with us. We had a contract and when we went to go and pick it up, they tried to change it on us.
    Cos...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The audacity of these guys, just got another Kijiji message asking “how my discussion with Mo went”.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This would have been the perfect opportunity to use the four squares on them.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    The audacity of these guys, just got another Kijiji message asking “how my discussion with Mo went”.
    Maybe he needs Mo manners.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Time to put in a Google review, just about all you can do. 99% of used car sales bro's are simply scum.

That being said, the last car I sold was to a used car sales guy from Marlborough Ford and it was a pleasant experience. He came to my house, spent 5mins looking at the car, made me a fair offer and then gave me a bank draft two days later when I dropped the car off (even offered to pick the car up).
    Last edited by 94boosted; 06-20-2023 at 09:31 AM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Time to put in a Google review, just about all you can do. 99% of used car sales bro's are simply scum.

That being said, the last car I sold was to a used car sales guy from Marlborough Ford and it was a pleasant experience. He came to my house, spent 5mins looking at the car, made me a fair offer and then gave me a bank draft two days later when I dropped the car off (even offered to pick the car up).
    I just remembered to do mine on Acura.....

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My Ride
    Blue boy

They are a bunch of sleazy dinks. They had a Crv a few years ago that my father wanted. I spoke to the salesmanager and he said he would sell it to us wholesale. We went in and looked at it, ready to buy on the spot. Then his whole story changed and he couldn't sell it to us without an inspection. Of course, the price jumped up $4000 after the inspection lol

My Ride
    V167

Man.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast