Quantcast
Type Of Bicycle - When to Switch - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Type Of Bicycle - When to Switch

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mtbing, absolutely difficult.. road/gravel biking.. not so much. Easy to hold a power/HR unless chasing hills.
    I know mbting is difficult but I could say, gravel is much more difficult than road.

Anyway, that's not the point here haha. I would recommend gravel as it is very all rounder. You could also switch tires to make it as a "road" bike if you'd like to use it to train and easy enough to hop it on a trainer if you plan to do that. Now that would be quite a change for your side as you ride bikes that have flat bars but you will adapt pretty easily. This is if you're really considering to get rid of your hybrid. Your hybrid does have lots of capabilities. I just want to point out the flexibility of having a gravel bike for your consideration.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Totally agree. That's where my recreation comment came from.
    But recreation and fitness aren’t mutually exclusive? I can enjoy it while I get a work out…

Anyways I bought a diverge today, the bike shop had my size and mine and busters favourite paint scheme all black so I snapped it up haha… if I don’t ride my mtb tomorrow I’m going to go for a nice long work out on it while I enjoy the scenery

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Buster also rides an e-mtb, so any comments re fitness and biking are with grain of salt

My Ride
    ute

Buster also rides an e-mtb, so any comments re fitness and biking are with grain of salt
    your heart doesn't know whats going on between your cranks. HR x time on an ebike is the same as anything else. You've just gone farther and had more fun.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

And have refused to yield to uphill traffic!

Won’t lie, it’s pretty hard for me to rationalize a new MTB that isn’t E.. particularly with the lightweight models now

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

And have refused to yield to uphill traffic!

Won’t lie, it’s pretty hard for me to rationalize a new MTB that isn’t E.. particularly with the lightweight models now
    They’re fun, but different. Not gonna lie, I reach for it for any 500m+ rides

Regular bike is more max HR on climbs and all out cooked legs vs being able to regulate the effort to be more even. But on the way down I work way harder on the e-bike and am way more gassed. I also find that when I swap back to the regular bike it feels way more nimble and I am much faster downhill than before I had both. Body feels stronger now too, can ride multiple T2B’s in the bike park without the arm pump taking me out

your heart doesn't know whats going on between your cranks.
    It does. Work and life stress gives me anxious heart rates. The stress relief is during the cranks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    It does. Work and life stress gives me anxious heart rates. The stress relief is during the cranks.
    This,
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Honestly that’s a big part of this, I’ve been letting stress get outta hand need more outlets to relax and feel better lol

I want to try an e-mtb pretty bad, looks so fun. The price just seems so crazy when you compare them to dirt bikes, but you sure can ride them a lot easier. There was one for $15.5k at the bike shop yesterday… that’s more than my S14 was!! lol

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Honestly that’s a big part of this, I’ve been letting stress get outta hand need more outlets to relax and feel better lol

I want to try an e-mtb pretty bad, looks so fun. The price just seems so crazy when you compare them to dirt bikes, but you sure can ride them a lot easier. There was one for $15.5k at the bike shop yesterday… that’s more than my S14 was!! lol
    I'm actually thinking about starting yoga for this exact reason. I need shit that is designed to get me outta my element. As for e-bikes. I ahve no fucking clue what makes them so expensive compared to things with cylinders and spark plugs.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

My Ride

wonder what my wife would think if i bought two bikes in the span of two days..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not sure you'd need to tell her.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

wonder what my wife would think if i bought two bikes in the span of two days..
    Don't tell her and if she questions it then say it was a 2 for 1 deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

But recreation and fitness aren’t mutually exclusive? I can enjoy it while I get a work out…

Anyways I bought a diverge today, the bike shop had my size and mine and busters favourite paint scheme all black so I snapped it up haha… if I don’t ride my mtb tomorrow I’m going to go for a nice long work out on it while I enjoy the scenery
    Diverge is a great bike - congrats. One of the more versatile gravel bikes, great for road and trails. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a road group ride, or a long gravel loop.

As for the fitness comments in this thread - depends how far you take it. Cycling / triathlon has given me the best fitness of my life....

As for e-bikes, I refuse to get one until the day I need one. Great for greater access to cycling for those that couldn't ride otherwise...
    Last edited by CLiVE; 08-11-2023 at 09:30 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    Offering a different take.
    I've found having the right type of bike may motivate you to ride more. When it feels better (ergonomics, seating position for longer saddle time, etc.) you want to spend more time on it. Any health or fitness benefits are secondary, but just like any form of exercise you will see some benefit if you're consistent. I don't really pay attention to #s/metrics when riding, but I'm not a hardcore athlete by any means - i'm just out there to push hard and enjoy it As a firm believer in n+1, if you can justify the cost I'd definitely recommend pickup up a decent drop-bar to get out there.
    Same opinion as well and so I agree on finding a bike that you will motivate to go for a ride. No point on having an expensive bike but then not using it. Note that finding the perfect saddle type is key aswell.
    Most reputable bike shops will allow you to test ride the bikes as well.

I personally prefer riding more on drop bars, especially on 30min+ rides. More comfortable and more aero.
    Winter time though when there's snow I prefer to use my hybrid with flat bar for better control.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I'm actually thinking about starting yoga for this exact reason. I need shit that is designed to get me outta my element. As for e-bikes. I ahve no fucking clue what makes them so expensive compared to things with cylinders and spark plugs.
    Do it brah. Hot Yoga's been great for me to decompress and level-set. Always feel better after leaving a 'sesh. Even a few stretches in the basement will help when you're overloaded or at capacity with life.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post

As for e-bikes, I refuse to get one until the day I need one. Great for greater access to cycling for those that couldn't ride otherwise...
    For road bikes… fair, but for mountain

There are two types of use cases:

What you describe: toss it in boost and bang out fish creek laps without breaking a sweat because “old or broken”

And the fit version… go out for an after work powderface ridge or cox hill lap, clean the full climb, and be home in bed at a reasonable hour. Unless you’re an Olympic level athlete, you need an e-bike to do that… and it’s going to be in eco for most of it or the battery will not survive. It’s a full blown workout. You’re just riding instead of pushing up the impossible climb sections and doing it in about 60% of the time (since the time savings is only really on the up, unless it’s a pedal-y down (like stone’s throw)

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    For road bikes… fair, but for mountain

There are two types of use cases:

What you describe: toss it in boost and bang out fish creek laps without breaking a sweat because “old or broken”

And the fit version… go out for an after work powderface ridge or cox hill lap, clean the full climb, and be home in bed at a reasonable hour. Unless you’re an Olympic level athlete, you need an e-bike to do that… and it’s going to be in eco for most of it or the battery will not survive. It’s a full blown workout. You’re just riding instead of pushing up the impossible climb sections and doing it in about 60% of the time (since the time savings is only really on the up, unless it’s a pedal-y down (like stone’s throw)
    Good insight - I do see the value there. Coming from the roadie world didn't have that appreciation for how e-mtbs fit in other than the lazy/old/broken angle. ha.

I subscribe to the train heavy / hard, race light mentality. So do a lot of my commuting on single speeds / fixed to make things more difficult on purpose.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    The new lightweight ones with smaller motors seem ideal for this too, vs just putting out 500w and getting you up there. Hell, if it lets you do 2-3 laps of husky in an evening rip or can ride Moose by yourself cause you dont have a shuttle partner that day, it would be worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast