Quantcast
2017 Mazda MX-5 RF Miata - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF Miata

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

Default 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF Miata

Hey fellas,

Don't make too much fun of me, but I'm looking to get rid of my Indian Scout Bobber, I like the bike but my last ride on the bike wasn't my favorite thing, and has convinced me that maybe a small 2 door sports car might be a little more appropriate. "I'm too old for this shit" came to mind as I was cruising into Calgary at 9pm with lightning strikes on the horizon, and me leaving my rain gear at home like an idiot.

The new gen Miata seems to fit the bill for me. I can get one with 3 pedals and the price point is attractive to me, decent fuel mileage, as well as the fact that it has more trunk space than the Indian, lol!

I've been looking at them for the last couple of weeks and like the styling and all that. I even test drove one with a soft top in Kimberley. Not really interested in the soft top, seemed a bit noisy and i'm bald so having the top down probably wouldn't happen much, so I've been searching for a white one with the retractable hard top (RF model). Everything I read online mentions that its quite a bit quieter in the cab with the hard top.

Anwyay, is there any reason to NOT get one of these cars? I really enjoyed the test ride, it felt comfortable and I had fun going for a little cruise in it. My dream car would be an older Lotus Elise or Exige, but they're a little more expensive than I'm interested in, old ones have really held their value well - and I suspect they have a little more of a rigorous maintenance schedule. I don't need a track car, just something reliable and good on gas that I can cruise between Calgary and Cranbrook to hang out with my brother and not have to worry about rain gear.

I should note, I found the exact model/color in Surrey that I'm looking for, for a decent price, but it has two $0 collision claims against it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Spend a bit more and get a 2019+. The extra 30hp is noticeable. RF is slightly heavier and slower than the soft top but whatever floats your boat. Nearly bought one a couple weekends ago but I ended up buying a turbo 1994 Miata last night instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_R6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey fellas,

Don't make too much fun of me, but I'm looking to get rid of my Indian Scout Bobber, I like the bike but my last ride on the bike wasn't my favorite thing, and has convinced me that maybe a small 2 door sports car might be a little more appropriate. "I'm too old for this shit" came to mind as I was cruising into Calgary at 9pm with lightning strikes on the horizon, and me leaving my rain gear at home like an idiot.

The new gen Miata seems to fit the bill for me. I can get one with 3 pedals and the price point is attractive to me, decent fuel mileage, as well as the fact that it has more trunk space than the Indian, lol!

I've been looking at them for the last couple of weeks and like the styling and all that. I even test drove one with a soft top in Kimberley. Not really interested in the soft top, seemed a bit noisy and i'm bald so having the top down probably wouldn't happen much, so I've been searching for a white one with the retractable hard top (RF model). Everything I read online mentions that its quite a bit quieter in the cab with the hard top.

Anwyay, is there any reason to NOT get one of these cars? I really enjoyed the test ride, it felt comfortable and I had fun going for a little cruise in it. My dream car would be an older Lotus Elise or Exige, but they're a little more expensive than I'm interested in, old ones have really held their value well - and I suspect they have a little more of a rigorous maintenance schedule. I don't need a track car, just something reliable and good on gas that I can cruise between Calgary and Cranbrook to hang out with my brother and not have to worry about rain gear.

I should note, I found the exact model/color in Surrey that I'm looking for, for a decent price, but it has two $0 collision claims against it.
    I have nothing to add other than miata + LS swap =

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

Haha, I HAVE seen the LS Swap vids... and I can imagine that would be incredible! I should mention that I am 42, drive like an old man, and HATE the idea of paying road tax (Speeding Tickets)!!

@Twin_Cam_Turbo Thanks for the tip - is the extra 30hp the same across all models? Is it from an engine change or just refinements year to year?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Haha, I HAVE seen the LS Swap vids... and I can imagine that would be incredible! I should mention that I am 42, drive like an old man, and HATE the idea of paying road tax (Speeding Tickets)!!

@Twin_Cam_Turbo Thanks for the tip - is the extra 30hp the same across all models? Is it from an engine change or just refinements year to year?
    All 2019+ get the power bump, comes with a higher redline and other minor changes.

+1 for the ND2 2019 model year. Also, the RF (hard top) version can be found in the Gs-P and GT trims, but the GS-P with the "sport" package is the best option IMO. You can't get the sport package in the GT (dumb IMO). Sport pkg includes Brembos (up front), 17" BBS wheels, and also Recaro seats, which give you an extra 1" headroom over the regular seats in both the hard and soft top versions. So if you aren't small of stature and size, this could be make or break for you in terms of fitting in it with a helmet, as the hard top and soft top fit differently from vids/posts I've seen.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha this post was basically me a few years ago, almost to the tee.

Three to four years ago I was hemming and hawing about selling my Harley and getting a fun little two seater roadster as it was "slightly" more practical. Last year I put it up for sale just to see if there were any bites and found a buyer willing to give me my asking price so I was looking for something for the last two summers.

I went from looking for an NA (too overpriced for its age and hard to find one in good condition), to an NB, to an NC (the ugliest of the Miatas) before I realized for the asking prices I was getting into, I could be looking at a BMW instead. Also Miatas seemed to be regarded as terrible highway riders until you get to the ND. I briefly considered the Fiat 124 Spider too, which for all intents and purposes is an ND.

Then I moved to looking at Z3's (too old, lots of brittle parts that need replacing), then E85 and E89 Z4's, before I realized for the asking prices I was getting into, I could be looking at a Porsche 987 Boxster/Cayman instead

When I was considering the E89 Z4, the idea of the retractable hardtop really started appealed to me too, especially after all that wildfire smoke we got this summer.

So I totally get where you're coming from. Doooo iiiit!

My Ride
    NC1

Nice cars
    @khryon has one
    I like them
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

Haha D'Z Nutz, I am totally going down that exact same road! Right down to the "slightly" more practical than a bike part! I was looking at all kinds of makes and models, and the budget just keeps going up and up! I always come back to the MX-5!

I screwed up big time by allowing myself to go test drive that one, that was a huge mistake, gonna cost me a lotta money I think. Posting on here and learning about the 2019 +30hp tip wasn't very smart either - that's gonna cost me too!

My Ride
    06 S2000

I think even being bald, top down is the way to go. I love my convertible. Also +1 on doing it, but I can't speak, as I still have my bike _and_ convertible.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Haha D'Z Nutz, I am totally going down that exact same road! Right down to the "slightly" more practical than a bike part! I was looking at all kinds of makes and models, and the budget just keeps going up and up! I always come back to the MX-5!

I screwed up big time by allowing myself to go test drive that one, that was a huge mistake, gonna cost me a lotta money I think. Posting on here and learning about the 2019 +30hp tip wasn't very smart either - that's gonna cost me too!
    I had briefly looked into E46 M3 convertibles and had to dial it back cause it was starting to get "too" practical with the back seats haha

When I sold my Harley, I committed: I gave the guy almost everything I bike related I had: two helmets, boots, oil, pans, jacks, you name it. Only thing I kept were my jackets, but I'm selling those separately, and the battery charger cause I was gonna need that for whatever summer car I ended up with. I'm not saying I've given up on riding, but it's not in my foreseeable future.

I think whatever you end up with, you're gonna be happy regardless of the cost. You still get the joyriding thrill, but without all the negatives that come with a motorcycle (I still miss it from time to time though).

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I'm on my 3rd ��Miata��, great cars. But if you don't need a convertible maybe a GR86 or BRZ might be a better fit?

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

I still have my little KLX250s, street and dirt - so I can still go for a ride on two wheels. Thing is great for going fishing up forestry roads and exploring new hunting areas!

I'll start researching BRZs and GR86. I didn't think they would be in the price range I was looking for, around 30k.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

+1 for spending some more money and getting the ND2. Also keep in mind the ND1 transmissions are made of glass, they've had several iterations of the 6spd, each one getting slightly better than the last. IIRC the issue is all but fixed on the ND2 cars

I briefly owned an ND, fun car

I can’t speak of MX-5, but I do have a 2003 Z4 that keeps me sane and stop me from spending money I don’t have on something I don’t need. I can’t imagine these sell for / worth that much these days. Cheap, open air fix, but not fast.
    If you do end up looking for an E85 Z4 (non M), main issues will be the SMG transmission, vanos seal issue and rear suspension coil snap. Oh, and the power folding top motor / drain hole. Pretty old tech other wise.

Name:  IMG_5409.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  1.92 MB

Mine unfortunately has the SMG. No issues yet. Just broke 50k km recently
    Last edited by ZeroGravity; 09-19-2023 at 02:02 PM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I just got an E85 Z4 for the wife this summer. I find myself taking it whenever I need to run out more than my summer car. I like the convertable for cruising. There are so.e good deals if you keep your eyes open and act quick

My Ride
    *The First*

How much cha selling that Indian for?
    #I didn't fuckin name it that
    #reconciliationPrice

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks for all the responses and info guys, appreciate it.

Link to Reconciliation Ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...-60/1672250599

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

ND is the only right choice imo. The older gens are just so bad on the highway. and NC looks like ass. As a mazda fanboy i hate to say it, would you consider an s2k?

My Ride
    *The First*

That Indian is priced very low based on my glances at comparables. Please do not adjust as I bet that will sell immediately. Looks like 20+ % discount range.
    If not, hang on until spring and sell. You're making me wish I was interested in purchasing an Indian.

#I didn't fucking name it that!
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 09-20-2023 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast