Quantcast
Home ownership vs renting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current residential status?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a home owner with no plans to ever rent

67 90.54%
  • I am a home owner and looking to rent

0 0%
  • I am a renter and looking to buy a house

3 4.05%
  • I am a renter with no plans to buy a house

4 5.41%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home ownership vs renting

My Ride
    a tank

Default Home ownership vs renting

Not sure how often this was discussed or debated in the past. But what's everyone take on this subject matter? I know for decades if not forever the concept has always been to own real estate because simply, over time they only continue to go up. The only part that is difficult is the timing for entry and one has to try not to buy at the peak of house markets prices. This is probably the single most effective way to build net worth especially if one does not have the discipline to save or investment wisely elsewhere.

However, is this believe coming to an end? With the fastest interest rate hiking cycle on record, I have heard from a few respectable economist argue that we are now entering an inflationary era which could last decades. if Just like in the 70s/80s, no one would have thought rates could virtually hit 0%. So is this about to change? No one could imagine high rates are here to stay. -minus any financial market crashes which could drop rates sharply, rates could go back up just as easily and for a long time.

One that I follow is suggesting the US housing market is actually crashing, it is being kept afloat due to developers giving buyers incentive in what's called a mortgage buy down, in short, buyers cannot afford the 8% interest rate mortgage so developers will eat the 4% of that cost. In other words they are giving buyers discount and this does not show up on the sold prices. Eventually this will come to an end where it will cut into developer's profit margin.

Other potential catalyst includes all those Airbnb owners will also suffer from regulation change and forcing to sell. Another one I read mentions how in the US most home owners pass their property generation to generation and enjoying low tax because tax was based on the original purchase price, but again rule change may be going into effect that any one inheriting a property will be subject to market price tax assessment. So the current generation may not be so keen in paying what use to be 2000 annual tax to say 20,000 and again encouraging them to sell the property instead.

I understand Calgary is enjoying it's own real estate bubble because of supply and demand, but if holding real estate is not the best time due to what is to come. I now wondering if moving to rental makes better financial sense.

From my own personal take is that, I could sell my home and rent something similar amid the monthly rent is higher than my mortgage payment, but I can pull out all those equity (over 50%) and park that in a 5%+ cash interest savings account with the rate being so high. Having the flexibility with a large sum of cash deposit that is earning me interest and without the headache of worrying about fixing anything in the house.

Personally I believe for the foreseeable future, having as much cash and being as liquid as possible is probably the best position and wait for good opportunities whether a better real estate landscape or stocks.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

In general, almost everyone I know like the freedom of being able to do whatever to their home. Paint? Reno? Fail to maintain?

The few exceptions of perpetual renters I know are: people who fail to save for a down payment due to high discretionary spending, and people who don't commit e.g., move countries/cities/communities frequently.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Own my home. Pretty against ever owning equity in a second though ( vacation home ), that I think the math works out to rent all day long aside from some vary narrow circumstances.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want flexibility and are okay moving with short notice, renting CAN work out. Hard 9n kids changing schools etc.

Better not have a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Own my own place. My first place cost $134k in Charleswood. I downsized from a 2400 sqft house into a new townhouse in the NW. in 3 years it has gone up over $225k. I have a very small mortgage. ( divorce made me take that on) My first mortgage I had a rate of 9.2%.

I have considered buying a vacation property numerous times and am glad I didn't. The numbers never seem to add up and I prefer the flexibility of travel rather than feeling tied to a particular place.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    V8s

Own my home. Pretty against ever owning equity in a second though ( vacation home ), that I think the math works out to rent all day long aside from some vary narrow circumstances.
    Idk if I agree that it's a narrow set of circumstances, as there are quite a few levers on the vacation home own/vs rent decision. If there is a market crash, it might make a lot of sense to pick up a second home if a person plans to use it a lot. That being said, some friends of ours just bought a house in Palm Springs with plans to rent it out while they're not using it, and it's going to cost them $10k/mo to carry if they don't rent it. That's not something that makes any sense to me.

re: OP - sitting on lots of cash during an inflationary period is basically the worst thing you can do, isn't it? The value goes to $0 eventually.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    re: OP - sitting on lots of cash during an inflationary period is basically the worst thing you can do, isn't it? The value goes to $0 eventually.
    This is how I justify my shopping problem.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If someone told me Calgary house prices might go up less than general inflation over the next decade I'd listen to that. However, I firmly believe that we will be seeing significant general inflation for a long time.

I also don't think your primary residence should be treated the same way you'd treat other investments.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Buy as many homes as you possibly can.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Numbers aside, in the right lifestyle I can absolutely see how renting is the answer. But that's not me and the the financial pros & cons are way down the list of factors with respect to my decision to own.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Moving is annoying… if you rent you have to more more frequently as it’s not up to you if you stay in that property or not. So own.

This is also not a bubble. Remember that last talk about a bubble? How did that crash go? We’re just catching up from a decade of stagnation… as usual. The net migration and lack of new homes will ensure growth continues.

We’re also not the US, their mortgage system is completely different than ours.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

With appliances and furnaces/HWT no longer expected to last more than 10 years and PolyB replacement prices, owning isn't looking as pretty. Windows, doors, insulation, roofs, etc don't last forever either. At the same time, all of those costs would almost certainly be passed down to renters. Having been mortgage free for a few years in my previous home and selling it for double what I paid, I'm still OK with owning.

Also, landlords seem to me like either a 3rd parent or a 2nd boss.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    With appliances and furnaces/HWT no longer expected to last more than 10 years and PolyB replacement prices, owning isn't looking as pretty. Windows, doors, insulation, roofs, etc don't last forever either. At the same time, all of those costs would almost certainly be passed down to renters. Having been mortgage free for a few years in my previous home and selling it for double what I paid, I'm still OK with owning.

Also, landlords seem to me like either a 3rd parent or a 2nd boss.
    Can 100% agree with this and if you aren't handy then costs are going to be even more.

Our hot water tank and furnace are original the house and I know the hot water tank is on borrowed time. The washer has had to have parts replaced as did the dishwasher. Within the first year we had a big fail with our fence on one side and was a big cost.

Owning is nice but all the small shit starts to add up and gets expensive fast.

My Ride
    rally pig

if you are somehow financially literate then hopefully you will be mortgage free before retirement age, but it you keep dipping from your home equity or still paying a mortgage after you retire then renting might be better for you.
    other problem is that a lot of people over leveraged on their mortgage during the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    Own my own place. My first place cost $134k in Charleswood. I downsized from a 2400 sqft house into a new townhouse in the NW. in 3 years it has gone up over $225k. I have a very small mortgage. ( divorce made me take that on) My first mortgage I had a rate of 9.2%.

I have considered buying a vacation property numerous times and am glad I didn't. The numbers never seem to add up and I prefer the flexibility of travel rather than feeling tied to a particular place.
    also thought about buying a 2nd/vacation rental property but RE is just not my type of investment. our goal is to make Calgary our home base and travel anywhere for weeks/months.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Can 100% agree with this and if you aren't handy then costs are going to be even more.

Our hot water tank and furnace are original the house and I know the hot water tank is on borrowed time. The washer has had to have parts replaced as did the dishwasher. Within the first year we had a big fail with our fence on one side and was a big cost.

Owning is nice but all the small shit starts to add up and gets expensive fast.
    personally, I would rather have/save 4-5k yearly for maintenance than making a landlord 1-2k richer every month.
    Last edited by taemo; 11-02-2023 at 08:56 AM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I was mortgage free until an ugly divorce. I'll be mortgage free again in 2 years. I don't use my home equity as a loan. My mortgage could double and it wouldn't be be a hardship at all. I have enough to retire soon but won't fully. I'm kind of like my dad who retired for a week and then went back to work until he was 77. I like the field I'm in and can easily transition to fully remote work when I'm ready to slow down a bit.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    NC1

There’s something to be said for home ownership
    Freedom. Good feels. Accomplishment etc.

which is better? Renting or owning?
    Depends on govt policies and your timing lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

We went through this thought process just over a year ago and I was actually more for renting than buying from a financial point of view. The Couch Potato guys really had me looking at the renting side which I'd never even thought about because this is Canada and we're obsessed with homeownership.

In my end, we want to start a family and have seen multiple people essentially kicked out of their place because the landlords were selling, or some landlords just refused to fix stuff, it didn't feel secure enough. It went so far as to think that if we had to move a lot because of external forces, the kid(s) may end up losing their friends or play for different sports teams, and that's tough. When owning, renos could be done without asking, repairs could be expensive but completed as quickly as you wanted.

There is a lot of social value to owning a home vs renting. So we opted to buy, along with all the lovely things ($$$) that come with homeownership.

I'm never moving again though, gonna die in this house.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Homeowner since 22 years old. First home I lived in for two years and then rented it for six more, and saved/invested every penny of rent I collected over that time while living rent free. I can see renting being financially better for some people, but at the expense of stability and convenience. Tbh I would not be mad if there was a market “crash” as we have a small mortgage and tons of equity in our house, and that would probably be the only reason we look at upgrading our house. My parents own two properties, I’ve been pushing them to sell their vacation home they rarely use for the last few years but I guess it doesn’t fit into their tax plan.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Bought my first home at 24, sold at 27 as I hated Airdrie. Rebought at 31, only regret was not just buying again sooner.

Renting is fine if you happen to stay in the same place for a while but I had to move 5 times in 4 years due to variety of reasons (first condo board wouldnt let me get a dog even though they were allowed, second condo complex had bed bugs at the opposite end, third townhouse the landlords were moving back in, fourth the owner sold the house). Stability is worth it over the hassle

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    However, I firmly believe that we will be seeing significant general inflation for a long time.
    That moment when you tell your kid that Big Mac used to be $3.49, not $34.99

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast