Quantcast
Mechanic buddy refuses to return my vehicle. How do I get my vehicle back? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechanic buddy refuses to return my vehicle. How do I get my vehicle back?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Have you asked him for an invoice for the work done so far so you can pay the balance and then take the car back?

Stories are rarely complete so to me this sounds like he agreed to do it for a flat rate then when it costs more than anticipated he raised the price but you refused to pay more than the original 2k left over so he’s refusing the car for that reason.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 01-04-2024 at 09:48 PM.

My Ride
    E46

I would give AMVIC a call and see what they can do.

Sounds like that one Seinfeld episode

Quote Originally Posted by VTEXTC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't disagree. It's not necessarily fair what you are having to endure, but it doesn't necessarily meet the criminal element either.
    Sorry if I come across as rude, defiant, or wound-up. Man, my stress level for the past month has been off the charts. I can't wait until the entire ordeal is over.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Have you asked him for an invoice for the work done so far so you can pay the balance and then take the car back?

Stories are rarely complete so to me this sounds like he agreed to do it for a flat rate then when it costs more than anticipated he raised the price but you refused to pay more than the original 2k left over so he’s refusing the car for that reason.
    He never gave me an invoice the last two times he worked on my vehicle, and did a reasonably good job. I actually conversed with the mutual friend that we have, and he indicated that the guy is not doing well mentally. It can explain things, but still does not lesson the chaos I find myself in right at the moment lol.

I can't persuade you or anyone else that I am being honest and forthcoming. After all, it's the internet. Ultimately it's for the courts to decide. In any case, since he did indicate he could do the job for $3500, I would ahve had no problem chipping in an extra $500...and at this point even $1000. However, you are free to believe what you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    I would give AMVIC a call and see what they can do.
    Thanks for that advice....I will have to google their site and read up on how they can help. Unfortunately, he does this on the side, so I am unsure if he even is licensed. All I know is twice in the past he did some work on my vehicle and it was adequate and below cost.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
    Thanks for that advice....I will have to google their site and read up on how they can help. Unfortunately, he does this on the side, so I am unsure if he even is licensed. All I know is twice in the past he did some work on my vehicle and it was adequate and below cost.
    AMVIC is completely useless when it comes to actually helping consumers when they have a genuine problem with a legit business that's registered with AMVIC. They won't even pretend to give a crap in this case.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    AMVIC is completely useless when it comes to actually helping consumers when they have a genuine problem with a legit business that's registered with AMVIC. They won't even pretend to give a crap in this case.
    I’d say this is where they DO care… since this mechanic is probably not a legit business… AMVIC will work for their fees from any and all that dabble in their industry

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Message the guy on here, what's his name? Gzooga or gargonzola or something.....he'll get you sorted out
    @gogogazoo2

My Ride
    Pontiac g6

What's going on everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by gogogazoo2 View Post
    What's going on everybody?
    Happy new year!
    He's still alive!

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post

This is a sore spot for me. I feel that technicians doing side work devalues the repair industry, hurts customers and business owners. The money that you tried to save goes into having proper licenses, insurance, safe and inspected work shops.

It's not just about amvic or the city trying to get their cut. The city wants to make sure you are not going to pollute the ground, water, air. Have a safe shop that isn't a massive fire hazard, and to not impact your neighbors in a negative way. Amvic, tries to uphold some sort of industry professionalism. They do their best to weed out the hacks and shysters. Make sure business have staff members with appropriate credentials and uphold the interests of business and consumer protection.

Technicians that do side work almost always steal resources from their employers. Things like buffing disks, sandpaper, shop tools, service information. All of this costs a lot of money that the business has to budget and pay for. This is sponging off of someone else's hard work for your own personal gain.

They guy you got to repair your car has no insurance, no licenses, no governing body. You gave up all of those protections trying to save a few dollars. You don't even have proof of life for your car right now, you don't know what this guy has done to it or if it is even drivable. When you do get access to your car, I would tow it to a reputable business and get a full inspection on it

My Ride
    changes every year

This is a sore spot for me. I feel that technicians doing side work devalues the repair industry, hurts customers and business owners. The money that you tried to save goes into having proper licenses, insurance, safe and inspected work shops.

It's not just about amvic or the city trying to get their cut. The city wants to make sure you are not going to pollute the ground, water, air. Have a safe shop that isn't a massive fire hazard, and to not impact your neighbors in a negative way. Amvic, tries to uphold some sort of industry professionalism. They do their best to weed out the hacks and shysters. Make sure business have staff members with appropriate credentials and uphold the interests of business and consumer protection.

Technicians that do side work almost always steal resources from their employers. Things like buffing disks, sandpaper, shop tools, service information. All of this costs a lot of money that the business has to budget and pay for. This is sponging off of someone else's hard work for your own personal gain.

They guy you got to repair your car has no insurance, no licenses, no governing body. You gave up all of those protections trying to save a few dollars. You don't even have proof of life for your car right now, you don't know what this guy has done to it or if it is even drivable. When you do get access to your car, I would tow it to a reputable business and get a full inspection on it
    While I agree with you on some tradesman, (I'm not automotive, I'm a red seal B pressure welder) I also think being a good tradesman is working diligently to prove your worth at your craft and for auto guys, it is alot of after hours work as a side hustle to get your name out there, make some extra money, in order to possibly be an owner/operator someday.

While I know that doesn't happen often and there are guys out there that sour the industry, this is a good way to get ahead.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I have a stinky feeling we are not getting the full story here.

I am guessing there is some level of you haven't paid these people some money they feel they are owed and you don't feel they are owed hence the police noping out of the situation and telling you to get a judge to deal with it.

What is the current status of your police report? Closed?
    +1
    The truth is always somewhere in the Middle.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    While I agree with you on some tradesman, (I'm not automotive, I'm a red seal B pressure welder) I also think being a good tradesman is working diligently to prove your worth at your craft and for auto guys, it is alot of after hours work as a side hustle to get your name out there, make some extra money, in order to possibly be an owner/operator someday.

While I know that doesn't happen often and there are guys out there that sour the industry, this is a good way to get ahead.
    Automotive mechanical and body run on piece work. Fast hands win. Getting the job done as fast as you can is the most important. Shops are designed for productivity, home garages are not. Repairing a vehicle in a garage is very different than doing it in a professional repair shop. Repairing my own vehicles in my garage takes hours longer to do than if I was to do it at work.
    You very much can have a fully licensed and insured home based repair business, but there are laws that have to be followed. Repairing vehicles is a different skill set than running a profitable repair shop. Doing water pumps and painting fenders in your garage is not going to help you run a successful shop.

I spend many hours reading training material, case studies, diagnostics methods. I will learn about a new technique, find a few minutes in a job to try out my new found knowledge. Fixing misfires in my garage for people with no money isn’t going to advance my career path.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Automotive mechanical and body run on piece work. Fast hands win. Getting the job done as fast as you can is the most important. Shops are designed for productivity, home garages are not. Repairing a vehicle in a garage is very different than doing it in a professional repair shop. Repairing my own vehicles in my garage takes hours longer to do than if I was to do it at work.
    You very much can have a fully licensed and insured home based repair business, but there are laws that have to be followed. Repairing vehicles is a different skill set than running a profitable repair shop. Doing water pumps and painting fenders in your garage is not going to help you run a successful shop.

I spend many hours reading training material, case studies, diagnostics methods. I will learn about a new technique, find a few minutes in a job to try out my new found knowledge. Fixing misfires in my garage for people with no money isn’t going to advance my career path.
    It sounds like you like to learn outside of work, but not apply it(outside of work).. I don't think that's a good outlook. Who cares if it takes you longer at home, you're still applying skill and learning, adapting and doing things in a different setting make you better.. in my opinon.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    It sounds like you like to learn outside of work, but not apply it(outside of work).. I don't think that's a good outlook. Who cares if it takes you longer at home, you're still applying skill and learning, adapting and doing things in a different setting make you better.. in my opinon.
    I very much agree. Me personally, about 3/4 of my learning I dedicate to shop management and the the last 1/4 to keeping up with technology. I don't want to work for some one else any more, there are things that happen that I dislike and don't want to deal with any more.
    In the OP's case, the guy doing the work only knows how to do the work. Not deal with pissed off customers or negotiate on who pays what when a job goes bad.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This is my outlook on it. The more you do things, the easier it gets, the more time you shave off. You can't expect to know that stuff right away working on a customer's car on a timeline like you can in your own garage.

People know that if you're doing work out of the garage, it's not going to be as quick as a shop for one reason or another. If you don't, that's on you.

As a non union welder I don't have access to go to the hall for free to better my skills, its either trial and error at work, which they don't like, or on my own time at home to figure out the best way to do it.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This is my outlook on it. The more you do things, the easier it gets, the more time you shave off. You can't expect to know that stuff right away working on a customer's car on a timeline like you can in your own garage.

People know that if you're doing work out of the garage, it's not going to be as quick as a shop for one reason or another. If you don't, that's on you.

As a non union welder I don't have access to go to the hall for free to better my skills, its either trial and error at work, which they don't like, or on my own time at home to figure out the best way to do it.
    So let's say that you work your ass off, put together another welding truck. You hire a guy to run the rig. But then this guy under cuts you on the same jobs that you have bid on, then uses your equipment and supplies to do the job that you didn't get. You ok with that? He's just bettering himself.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is nicely sideways. Did the OP resolve this issue yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast