Quantcast
Finboy buys a Lexus LX570 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finboy buys a Lexus LX570

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Finboy buys a Lexus LX570

Overview - TLDR I bought a truck

Back in 2017ish my wife told me she wasn’t onboard with the idea of vanlife for camping, and buying a 4x4 ambulance was a dumb idea. Tent camping is rough, and really cuts down the window for us because of our frigid shoulder seasons. Eventually we would need a trailer setup for camping with our dogs, a $40k investment that I definitely did not have the funds for. Tent life would continue.

Being that our current vehicles were a Kia Rondo and a clapped out Acura 1.6 EL, I knew it was going to be a longer term goal, and research was needed. Discovering Ih8mud.com and expedition portal to see what would hold up, I started researching the venerable Land Cruiser and LX series, and found that they were engineered and manufactured for a lifespan of 25 years…in a third world country. I also saw the price tag, and that ideal camping setup shifted down the priority list after replacing our vehicles, buying a house, and making an effort to retire before 80.

Over the years, we sold the unreliable cars, bought a house, bought more unreliable cars (hello Subaru), and wound up with a Sienna AWD (which took 6 months to find a decent one). It was at this point where I bought into the hype of Toyota Tax and started considering how I would get out of Subaru before I soured on owning a timebomb. This setup worked *okay* for tent camping, but was never ideal, and more dogs were added to the equation. Over this time I kept researching lx570’s to learn everything I could about them, even driving Zipdoa’s LX470 to get a feel for the hydraulic suspension. The LX470 was good, but the 100 series were getting a bit longer in the tooth and still pricey for the 6 speed model. In my research, I found a colour I loved, it reminded me of my first car I learned to drive on, then I found out production numbers.

Let’s address the Elephant in the room, the average Lexus owner is likely pushing 70+. They aren’t really known for exciting or out there taste, Lexus offers some cool colours (see rage2’s pumpkin RC-F) but the near-octogenarians won’t buy them. 95% or more of the Lexus used market fall into the category of white, black, grey, alternate grey, or Jewish racing gold. A burgundy colour was offered, but by far the most rare was Costa Azul Mica, only offered in 2008-2010 with under 150 units shipped to North America. Factor in the preferred dark interior (cream ain’t staying clean), and you are looking at under 40 units, or 0.1% of the LX570 production run. In Canada there were 9, 4 of which were in Alberta. Like I said, Blue is too exciting to drive to the country club.

The first I saw one on ih8mud classifieds in 2019, stateside of course, with cream interior. Price was waaaay out of my budget, so I followed the thread until it sold, and went back to the drawing board. More years passed, Covid prices went insane on all cars and I sold my Subaru for every dollar I had into it, no blown motors, no nuked trannies, and bought my Element to camp and get back and forth for snowboarding. I still thought I might some day be able to afford the LX, but that was going to take a lot more post-covid price cooling. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200...ained.1118950/

In 2021 I did see a Costa Azul Mica LX570 pop up in Central Alberta for $26k, almost no pictures and disappeared pretty quick. Fast forward a couple weeks and I see (what I assume) was the same truck in Calgary while driving through traffic. I tried chasing it down to see give the owner a thumbs up, perhaps see if they would ever sell, but traffic didn’t make that a reality. So close, but so far! Another painful reminder of what could have been, the hunt continued.

Name:  IMG_3711.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  96.9 KB

In 2023, The Element was getting long in the tooth, rolling over 300,000km’s and my wife’s Sienna hit 280,000 km’s. The same week my alternator died, my wife’s car got a check engine light, I came to the realization that I need to get some more reliability in our fleet. She can’t drive stick, and there is no way 4 dogs are fitting in the element. With this reality staring me in the face, I got back into my various nation-wide searches, looking for any LX 570’s as covid prices had mellowed and we were finally in a spot where we could buy something reliable , albeit maybe not the colour I wanted. Finally one of my searches yielded a result, another Costa Azul Mica with low mileage….but Ontario. It had a claimed 115,000Km’s at a shady dealership, and no undercarriage photos for $35k (so much for covid prices cooling). Considering the lack of photos, I had to do some sleuthing, go full csi enhance on the crappy photos, rust was clearly visible on any metal surface in the engine bay……uuuuugh. Swing and a miss, not touching it with a ten foot pole, rust + hydraulic suspension? Nooooo shot.

It’s about this point where I realized I did have a bit of an ace up my sleeve in the Beyond community. Everyone knows Redlyne_mr2 is the go to Toyota source, and someone who has always been helpful in the 20+ years I’ve been on Beyond. I have great memories of bugging him on MSN Messenger for hours to learn everything about SW20’s, following his amazing builds from 1m’s to 355’s, always catching up at car shows, and even catching laps at Lake Louise when running into him on closing day. Ryan has always been someone to spare me some time and is a great representation of the importance of a strong community. I thought it best to reach out and see if he could help me find an LX. I reached out and found he was actually very well versed in the LX570 as he went to the launch event as a sales rep. As he said in this thread: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/207...ebec?p=2311086

Also notice that there is a Costal Azul Mica in the demo fleet photos

Originally posted by Redlyn_mr2
    LX is insane... for $89000 all in it's tough to beat, the truck is soo smooth and soo soft it feels like an LS sedan. It was great to compare it to other SUV's on an offroad course, you really see how bad some SUV's are.
    I scrolled through his Instagram to see what was in his impeccable fleet of cars currently, and found out he had a winter car he picked up in 2022.

A Lexus LX570….in Costa Azul Mica.

I was floored, I let him know I was interested, if he ever wanted to sell I would take it. A couple weeks later, he reached out letting me knowing he was putting it back to stock (thank god, I don’t have a volk te37 budget) and now this is mine:

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  385.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  447.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  172.8 KB

Ryan kept it in great shape like all his vehicles, and he gave me a great deal on it (best price in western Canada). Thanks a ton Ryan, 6 years of research and the Beyond.ca community comes through again.

Soooooo planned mods:
    - Grom Audio apple carplay conversion
    - SS3 fog lights (Springbank to Kananaskis needs it on those 6AM drives to the hill)
    - 33” falken wildpeaks
    - Possible 2013-2015 taillight conversion (piecing together, not cheap)
    - De-chrome (but not black out)
    - LC200 roof rack to replace the LX rack

The Element is sold, I will miss the manual transmission and easy parallel parking, it was the first time I took a car over 300,000 km’s but time to move on.

Subaru Thread Here - https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/407...t-build)/page2

Element Thread Here - https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/414...peed?p=5158311
    Last edited by finboy; 04-14-2024 at 04:44 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    changes every year

Very cool to see 6 years come to fruition. Really nice color. I've had my eye on Toyotas/lexus alot lately. Good pick up man, no doubt from one of the best owners you could buy from.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Good choice
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

So what are the chances that it was him you saw in traffic but couldn't catch up to?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

I got to talk to him briefly today and that might have been his buddy who was the previous owner. I believe he lives in calgary while Redlyne does not.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think I just inoculated in my jeans...
    One day, I will be as cool as you, but it's going to take me a fucking decade.
    You win.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

What year is this? It looks flawless. Amazing color!!!
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    ute

Holy Sammy shit. That's awesome.

Congrats

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Tell me that you’re not still in a tent

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    What year is this? It looks flawless. Amazing color!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Tell me that you’re not still in a tent
    Still working on that acreage before trailer
    Last edited by finboy; 02-24-2024 at 06:13 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I had a 8 foot tent trailer that I bought for $2k as a solution to tenting. Totally worth it to get off the ground

Great thread, great find and congrats on the LX. I love those!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I had a 8 foot tent trailer that I bought for $2k as a solution to tenting. Totally worth it to get off the ground
    My in-laws just grabbed a trailer from Edmonton, I didn’t think my wife was going to let them leave with it when they passed through

My Ride
    *The First*

Was just thinking you might need to add a fuel slip-tank if you put 33" tires on that thirsty girl.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Fuel economy was not top of mind when buying, welcome to v8 life

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hydrocarbons are evil, burn them all.

My Ride
    NC1

Dope
    I dig it finny
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Fuel economy was not top of mind when buying, welcome to v8 life
    How large are the fuel tanks in these? Can you make 600km on a tank?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    How large are the fuel tanks in these? Can you make 600km on a tank?
    Noooo chance, 450’ish probably the max. They do make secondary tanks for the lc200 that apparently work

Interesting enough, the LX has the same footprint as a 2012 sienna within 1cm in width and length. I finally cleaned up my garage and fit both of them in there.

Name:  IMG_0169.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  315.0 KB

This also means it is an easy transition for my wife to drive it, she can’t drive stick and hated my element, EL and forester.

Name:  IMG_0167.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  640.0 KB
    Last edited by finboy; 02-25-2024 at 08:17 AM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

What a great rig in a great color. We miss ours all the time. Are you going to remove the 3rd row seats?

Here is ours when I was forced to sell it prior to leaving US (couldn’t import due to takata recall).

Name:  IMG_2662.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  370.3 KBName:  IMG_2662.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  370.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast