Quantcast
Beyond Members Careers - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Members Careers

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Haha, yeah I’m not sure how much I trust a couple plates and rods burried in a meter of concrete to support me 200+ft in the air either. Just curious because I have tower cranes on a few of my job sites and if there’s anything I can do to mitigate stressors other than hiring competent and qualified rig hands I would.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:09 PM.

You get used to the crane bouncing around in the wind. What finally got me was just the day to day misery and danger of it. Ive spent the last few years rigging/signalling. Watched alot of good guys get hurt, and had one fatality on our site in toronto. I pressed on through it the best I could, tried ignoring being stressed out until one day I just started yackin' every morning. Operating wasnt so bad, but due to having diverticulitis which causes the shits, I decided to stay on the ground.

Ive got an old job mine lined up, no stress, not nearly as much cash, but i know ill be alot happier. Honestly guys, I know it sounds corny, but do not force yourself into an industry you dont like being in, it will drive you nuts.

I also realize the seriousness of this post and know I will have to troll EXTRA hard to make up for it. Buckle up!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    probably forgot to switch back to the normal account.
    Thats some fine jabbin'.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    causes the shits,
    username checks out

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's tame by his standards. At any rate, glad you're moving in a positive direction. You only have one life.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Looking for some input..

Started a new job a couple of weeks back. Great company, excellent pay & benefits, interesting projects. When I interviewed I was a bit concerned that the position undermined my experience and qualifications, so I brought it up. They told me not to worry, the title wasn’t anything to worry about it, and that I would be reporting to a senior manager with 40 years on experience. Took there word on it. After I started I found out I would reporting to somebody with less experience than me, and would be pigeon holed into a relatively elementary role. After my first week I brought up my concerns, and was basically just told it is what it is.

Now the only reason I took this job was for a challenge and to get some good experience. I don’t need the money and I can do other things with my time that I find value in. I want to give the company an honest shot but I fear that I’ll just waste the next 6-12 months bored out of my mind doing work that is not engaging for me. What would you do?
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 05-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If I was YOU?? I would not be reporting to anyone... if you want experience, hire someone with that experience and work along side them in whatever the hell it is you want to do with your time!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Looking for some input..

Started a new job a couple of weeks back. Great company, excellent pay & benefits, interesting projects. When I interviewed I was a bit concerned that the position undermined my experience and qualifications, so I brought it up. They told me not to worry, the title wasn’t anything to worry about it, and that I would be reporting to a senior manager with 40 years on experience. Took there word on it. After I started I found out I would reporting to somebody with less experience than me, and would be pigeon holed into a relatively elementary role. After my first week I brought up my concerns, and was basically just told it is what it is.

Now the only reason I took this job was for a challenge and to get some good experience. I don’t need the money and I can do other things with my time that I find value in. I want to give the company an honest shot but I fear that I’ll just waste the next 6-12 months bored out of my mind doing work that is not engaging for me. What would you do?
    I would say if you are already concerned wile still in the honeymoon period that’s a really bad sign.

The other side of the coin is maybe you can prove to them that you know your shit and move yourself into the role you want. You are in the door. And if they fire you for sticking your neck out, well you have nothing to lose?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I would say if you are already concerned wile still in the honeymoon period that’s a really bad sign.

The other side of the coin is maybe you can prove to them that you know your shit and move yourself into the role you want. You are in the door. And if they fire you for sticking your neck out, well you have nothing to lose?
    I agree with this.

If the person you're reporting to has less experience than you, it should be easy to show this to his superiors. Once you've proven your value, use this as leverage to get into a position you want / the position you were sold on during the interview process.

That being said, it could easily take 6-12 months for this to play out. If you aren't willing to invest that kind of time, then cut and run. Find something better.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I agree with Killramos and CJ - if you can see potential with this company (why else would you be there?), use the time you have to show them what you've got. The time table is up to you, depending on the feeling you get from them and your own cost / benefit analysis of your time, but I'd think giving it 3-6 months to see where it goes wouldn't be the end of the world. By that point, you've had enough time to prove your worth and given them enough time to recognize it (or not). In the meantime, you can always keep an eye out for better opportunities and cut bait if something awesome (for real) falls in your lap.

GL

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I agree with this.

If the person you're reporting to has less experience than you, it should be easy to show this to his superiors. Once you've proven your value, use this as leverage to get into a position you want / the position you were sold on during the interview process.

This could also turn into some bad office politics with the more inexperienced superior fairly quickly... doesn't sound like a fun way to work

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This could also turn into some bad office politics with the more inexperienced superior fairly quickly... doesn't sound like a fun way to work
    I think the first day they see him getting out of the R8 the office politics will go to shit pretty quickly anyways

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Well sure, but if that's the way it goes, then he can just leave. We've already established there's not an appetite to stick it out for a number of years; it's highly improbable that there's a path to leapfrogging his supervisor in 6-12 months without going over their head. The direct supervisor is going to likely realize they hit the jackpot and will want to capitalize on an incredibly capable employee - it's unlikely that the supervisor want to transfer or promote him right off the hop, so another path to advancement has to be the answer.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Looking for some input..

They promised assistant regional manager, and it ended up being assistant to the regional manager?

tough spot for real though, how tight is this guy with the people above? they could be loyal to him. Why not just crush the work and show you're sick as fuck and maybe they will just bring you up? no harm trying for a little bit at least, like mentioned.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks for the insight everyone, good to gain some other perspectives.

Will go head down ass up for the next 3 months and if I don’t end up getting work that’s engaging & challenging, I’ll move on. My current manager has spent 7 years with the company, so I would say he is in tight. I think he recognizes my experience and ability, so hopefully he will send that up that chain as time goes on and I’ll get to the right places. Just tough to showcase what your capable of if your given work that you can do in your sleep.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks for the insight everyone, good to gain some other perspectives.

Will go head down ass up for the next 3 months and if I don’t end up getting work that’s engaging & challenging, I’ll move on. My current manager has spent 7 years with the company, so I would say he is in tight. I think he recognizes my experience and ability, so hopefully he will send that up that chain as time goes on and I’ll get to the right places. Just tough to showcase what your capable of if your given work that you can do in your sleep.
    Figured I would update. Head down ass up for 4 months and took over for the boss man with a promotion last week. Nice when things work out.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Figured I would update. Head down ass up for 4 months and took over for the boss man with a promotion last week. Nice when things work out.
    Nice, congratulations!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Glad to see it worked out. First impressions of a job are rarely indicative of long term in my experience. Got to stick it out to see whats what.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 LastLast