Quantcast
Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more! - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Most testers wont put you on roads that lead to tricky, misleading signage all in attempts to fail you, they typically put you on roads that have distinct uncontrolled intersections with wide roadways... just so long as you know what you're doing, you wont have an issue.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Zero102
    I just hate that this test is $150 per attempt and I only am provided a free bike through the school for one attempt. Since I don't have a bike of my own yet (first the license, then the gear, THEN a bike) it would be tough for me to take the test a second time.

I took a drive around that area and there are a ton of intersections that look uncontrolled but once you get deep into them you can see that there is a yield or stop sign buried way back behind a tree. Does the test route go through a lot of these? I feel like the right thing to do is treat them as uncontrolled until I know for certain that they have a sign for cross traffic but I am worried that will result in points / a failure for going too slowly or obstructing traffic.
    Yeah some of the roads you drive by can be cramped if your test is at a busy time of day. I was dinged for going too slow twice. First time was in a residential road near Foothills hospital where there were a bunch of cyclists riding on the road. Tester sped past them and I passed them cautiously at about 10 under since there was oncoming traffic too. Second one was on crowchild because he accelerated really quickly up to speed limit and I underestimated how long it'd take to get up to speed on that little ninja.

Point is, you get to make a mistake 3x before you fail so it shouldn't be a problem. Just pay attention, and ride as close to the speed limit as you can. My test was extra stressful because my earpiece was broken. I had to concentrate on riding and look for visual cues of what the tester wanted me to do. I could barely see him through his back window.
    ---

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by kenny
    My test was extra stressful because my earpiece was broken. I had to concentrate on riding and look for visual cues of what the tester wanted me to do. I could barely see him through his back window.
    First time I took my test, I cranked up the volume on the radio, put the ear piece in, and started riding. Tester was behind me. He told me to tap my helmet if I needed him to repeat his instructions. I couldn't hear a fucking thing out of my ear piece. After multiple attempts to get him to repeat, I just said "Fuck this" and just made my own route. Finally, after about 10 mins, he pulls up beside me at a red light and says "Where the hell are you going?"

I told him the situation and we headed back to the office where he failed me by 5 points.

The second time, I had some woman tester. I flat out refused the ear piece and she just told me to drive to this random hill, park and do a hill start, then just drive around for 20 mins while she followed. Passed that one with flying colours.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

You really shouldn't be worried about passing your test, it's a total fucking joke and incredibly easy. If you aren't confident enough to know you're going to pass then maybe you should take some more time to brush up on skills. I passed first time and got 100% but I also rode with insurance and reg but no license for like 2 seasons before I took mine.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I just took the test today and totally nailed it. Don't know why I had to psych myself out so bad about it. Only 1 intersection had hidden signs, I slowed down for it then sped back up as soon as I spotted the signs, no penalty for that as expected. They really aren't out to screw you, or at least my tester wasn't. Thanks for everybody who gave advice. Now I'm going to work on accumulating safety gear then get a bike.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I just took the test today and totally nailed it. Don't know why I had to psych myself out so bad about it. Only 1 intersection had hidden signs, I slowed down for it then sped back up as soon as I spotted the signs, no penalty for that as expected. They really aren't out to screw you, or at least my tester wasn't. Thanks for everybody who gave advice. Now I'm going to work on accumulating safety gear then get a bike.
    Congrats! Awesome to hear! You thinking of a sport bike?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yeah after riding the bikes at the school I think I'd like either a ninja or a cbr500. Though, a friend of the family might be willing to part with his unused Kawasaki kz-1000 for a very reasonable price. First I've got to get safety gear but I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a bike.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Hey dude, congrats!

Which registry did you book it through? Could you provide the route as much as you remember (just a general idea) please? I've got mine on Sunday.. how long was the actual ride?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've been thinking more and more about getting a class 6 lately and this thread was really helpful. I still haven't decided, but this was good reading.

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I've been thinking more and more about getting a class 6 lately and this thread was really helpful. I still haven't decided, but this was good reading.

Thanks guys!
    Same here. I've had this thread bookmarked for a couple months now haha

Just go take a course. $600 and a weekend and you'll know whether or not you want to keep riding.

$10 says you make your decision on the first day

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Mibz
    Just go take a course. $600 and a weekend and you'll know whether or not you want to keep riding.

$10 says you make your decision on the first day
    Yeah, I just gotta figure out when I'll have a weekend to do the course.

There's a reason most bike ads have some type of freedom or stress relief mentioned in them. RIDING IS THE BEST THING EVER

Like Mibz said, take the course and that'll give you an idea of whether or not its for you. I know a couple people who were all gung ho about getting into bikes and the course made them realize it wasnt for them.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i still think its for everyone... but you just got to find the type of bike and style of riding that you enjoy the most.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

^^

yeah, what type of bike/riding style do you think would interest you the most so everyone can start spamming cool vids/pics of hotties?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Is there any reason why I should pick Too Cool over CSC?

CSC is $80 cheaper and plenty of openings and don't fill up as quickly for when I want to take it.

As far as I can tell, the only benefits of taking Too Cool is they have more bikes to try out and smaller class sizes. Too Cool supplies the equipment too, but I already have my own helmet.

My Ride
    is broken

Because you get to meet Trevor at Too Cool. Seriously, the entertainment value is worth it.

No experience with CSC but Too Cool guys know you name and will point out all the mistakes you do. The course is really well laid out and I would give it a 10/10 for a training school.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

both loan you bikes for the road test? i know too cool has something setup with at least the shawnessy registry

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Is there any reason why I should pick Too Cool over CSC?

CSC is $80 cheaper and plenty of openings and don't fill up as quickly for when I want to take it.

As far as I can tell, the only benefits of taking Too Cool is they have more bikes to try out and smaller class sizes. Too Cool supplies the equipment too, but I already have my own helmet.
    Most people one take one course, so it'll be hard to get a comparison of both. Personally, it was the teachers, and the provided gear for me.

I've found/heard that Too Cool is a little more sport bike oriented (they still have JSM/cruisers/Enduros), whereas CSC is more cruiser oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ Most testers wont put you on roads that lead to tricky, misleading signage all in attempts to fail you, they typically put you on roads that have distinct uncontrolled intersections with wide roadways... just so long as you know what you're doing, you wont have an issue.
    I beg to differ. I took too cool and their recommendations for what examiner to take. I met her at McMahon, as well as with 4 other people.

Now, I don't know the NW very well as far as communities go, but she took me on some fucked up route, with a shit ton of hills, blind stop signs that you have to walk your bike into just to see, only to get points deducted (3 times) as well as a lot of other things.

I failed it miserably, along with every other person that went that day. I took it the following week in strathmore and only got one deduction and that's because I'm a retard and I turned left when she told me to go right.

It does matter who the instructors are, I don't remember the places name who I took it through, but it was a registry down by Peigan Trail that they told me to go to.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast