Quantcast
Police Checkstops On The Look Out For Drunk Drivers Over The Holidays - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Checkstops On The Look Out For Drunk Drivers Over The Holidays

My Ride
    Turbo charged 1977 Datsun 280Z

Default Police Checkstops On The Look Out For Drunk Drivers Over The Holidays

What! They can do that?

My Ride
    V8s

Law enforcement agencies throughout Alberta will target impaired drivers in coordinated Checkstops this holiday season. The message is clear say police: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be tolerated. In 2009, 112 people were killed and 1473 were injured in collisions involving drivers who had been drinking.
    In addition to being a danger on the road, drivers who choose to drink or use drugs and drive also face serious legal, financial, and social consequences. This holiday season, remember the following:
    Make the right choice for everyone – don’t drive if you have been drinking or using drugs.
    You do not have to be legally drunk to be charged with impaired driving.
    Plan ahead for safe transportation. There are alternatives to impaired driving.
    If you encounter a suspected impaired driver, record the vehicle license plate number and dial 911 anywhere in the province.
    December is impaired driving awareness month on the Traffic Safety Plan Calendar, and the Alberta government is reminding Albertans of the dangerous consequences of driving impaired.
    Enforcement combined with strong education and awareness strategies are a central part of the Traffic Safety Plan, which also includes community mobilization, engineering and legislative enhancements.
    Alberta also has several programs in place to tackle impaired driving such as the Ignition Interlock Program; the Alberta Administrative License Suspension Program; and zero tolerance for Graduated Driver Licencing drivers.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    What! They can do that?
    My gods! What kind of police state have we become!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You do not have to be legally drunk to be charged with impaired driving.
    Sorry, but that is utter bullshit! I'm not for drunk driving but that sounds like complete garbage to me. What's next? You don't have to actually kill someone to be charged with murder?

"Excuse me sir, I know the law SAYS this but we decided to ignore that and charge you anyways because you seem prone to anger and could snap one day...."

Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 12-09-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Happens every year.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sorry, but that is utter bullshit! I'm not for drunk driving but that sounds like complete garbage to me. What's next? You don't have to actually kill someone to be charged with murder?
    You'll get charged if you look drunk, and fail the field test, even if you blow under 0.08.

Honestly, if I was legally drunk (0.08 BAC) and tried to drive I wouldn't be able to get out of the parking lot.

Traffic is a nightmare when they decide to do it, they did a checkstop on Crowchild yesterday and downtown was backed up through downtown all the way to the other end of downtown.

Today, they have one up out of downtown too, but I won't post where.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

"Excuse me sir, I know the law SAYS this but we decided to ignore that and charge you anyways because you seem prone to anger and could snap one day...."

Looks like Minority Report accurately predicted more than just the Xbox Kinect, lol. I think the "charge" is the 24 hour suspension.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

welp

guess it's time to start forcing the woman to drive.

EDIT:

You'll get charged if you look drunk, and fail the field test, even if you blow under 0.08. Honestly, if I was legally drunk (0.08 BAC) and tried to drive I wouldn't be able to get out of the parking lot. Traffic is a nightmare when they decide to do it, they did a checkstop on Crowchild yesterday and downtown was backed up through downtown all the way to the other end of downtown. Today, they have one up out of downtown too, but I won't post where.
    Yeah I remember this last year when they did one after crowchild and stoney during rush hour. This made it kind of obvious because it was the day after the announcement during rush hour, so traffic was backed up all the way to downtown.

IMO, this kinda defeats the purpose because depending on how drunk the person is they may be able to figure out that there's a check stop up ahead because of all the extra traffic.
    Last edited by CMW403; 12-09-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Or they'll sober up by the time they actually reach the checkstop haha.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

I (partially) took the 'you don't have to be legally drunk' part to mean you can be charged with impaired driving because of drugs too...

To charge someone with impaired driving you need the evidence that their ability to drive is impaired by drugs/alcohol. Say you observe someone weaving in out of traffic, bouncing off the curb and then rear-ending a vehicle sitting at a light.

When you speak to the driver he has all the signs of impairment, glassy eyes, droopy eyelids, slurred speech, can't stand up, strong smell of booze on his breath. So you arrest him for impaired driving. You put him on a Breathalyzer and he blows right under .08.

Does that mean you apologize and put him back in his car and let him on his merry way? No, you still charge him with the impaired driving, but the separate charge of over .08 isn't applied.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by DayGlow

To charge someone with impaired driving you need the evidence that their ability to drive is impaired by drugs/alcohol. Say you observe someone weaving in out of traffic, bouncing off the curb and then rear-ending a vehicle sitting at a light.

When you speak to the driver he has all the signs of impairment, glassy eyes, droopy eyelids, slurred speech, can't stand up, strong smell of booze on his breath. So you arrest him for impaired driving. You put him on a Breathalyzer and he blows right under .08.

Does that mean you apologize and put him back in his car and let him on his merry way? No, you still charge him with the impaired driving, but the separate charge of over .08 isn't applied.
    This is probably the best explanation I have heard for impaired driving vs. 0.08 Blood Alcohol Level.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I love how they still think that these daytime check stops actually do anything.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I love how they still think that these daytime check stops actually do anything.
    uhh, care to expand?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

It would make more revenue sense to make alcohol and driving 0.00

I'd fully support this to the end. Alcohol + vehicles = bad no matter how much u have in you. People push the limits anyway. Hell i've done it myself many times in the past. 4 beers, i'm ok. Meh it's been 3 hours, i'll have some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so it is that time of year already where i might see one checkstop in the opposite direction that i am traveling in?

seriously... this city is piss poor at cracking down on drunk drivers

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

The real problem is that the penalties are not high enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by ercchry
    so it is that time of year already where i might see one checkstop in the opposite direction that i am traveling in?

seriously... this city is piss poor at cracking down on drunk drivers
    I don't know how you are so lucky. I was stopped at 3 checkstops on Friday. Starting at 3 in the afternoon. it seems to be working.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast