Quantcast
breaking News About Race City - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: breaking News About Race City

Default ***breaking News About Race City!!***

Ok Everyone,

I know this isn't really great news but it's news none the less.

The Mayors take on Race City

WE HAVE HOPE!!!!
    10.98@123mph
    All Motor

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

**yawn... with any degree of uncertainty, and no money... it's dead.. they already started dismantling the stands

as much as i hate to see it go... i grew up there, literally there every weekend for 15+ years as a volunteer/employee/racer/crew/just slummin... but it's inevitable
    Last edited by Thaco; 09-05-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

what a load of BS.
    Rick Francisconie, the motorsports task force as well as the calgary motors sports association has stepped forward to take ownership.

the problem is they're taking away the land piece by piece so race city would only be left with the drag strip and the north parking lot.

just another blind statement of Nenshi passing the blame.
    Last edited by syritis; 09-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

It's still better then no track...
    10.98@123mph
    All Motor

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Its quite obvious that the Mayor was giving "Tom" the old runaround and that there is no hope.

First he'll say that no one wants to take over. Then he'll say that any furhter proposals are 'too late' and the path is already set.

No vote from me for Nenshi next election.
    Last edited by alloroc; 09-05-2011 at 08:40 PM.

glad he didnt get my vote at all,
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

so what's the breaking news?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    so what's the breaking news?
    the breaking news is that he said the same thing that's been happening for 4 years
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    a tank

is there not a reason to believe with race city gone, it might help get the other to be developed race track built?

anyone know what the status is for that project near drumheller?
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Sounds like typically Nenshi BS..... a lot of talk and nothing getting done. Glad he didn't get my vote either.

Maybe nobody is stepping forward because the City won't guarantee the lease length.

Kill Racecity and lets move on.... the only hope of a new track opening is when Racecity is 100% dead/closed/done.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Sounds like typically Nenshi BS..... a lot of talk and nothing getting done. Glad he didn't get my vote either.

Maybe nobody is stepping forward because the City won't guarantee the lease length.
    To me it sounds like a lot of talking for everyone who wants the track to stay, but no one stepping up. Like Nenshi was quoted saying, the city wont be running a private business, and no one and stepped up or even made an effort to take it over. How can you blame him for it?
    Its not the cities fault RC was run into the ground and no one else wants to take it over...

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Who in their right mind is going to take over RC with the lease expiring at the end of this year..... why Nenshi would even suggest that clearly shows his stance on the whole situation. RC can’t stay, the City already made that decision by ending the lease agreement in an extremely shady manner a couple years back.

Who in their right mind is going to take over RC with the lease expiring at the end of this year..... why Nenshi would even suggest that clearly shows his stance on the whole situation. RC can’t stay, the City already made that decision by ending the lease agreement in an extremely shady manner a couple years back.
    Bingo!

Nenshi sucks, GTFO and take your dandelions with you.
    Last edited by AllGoNoShow; 09-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

So, is there anybody willing to start something new?

I would love to see a new facility, and would love to get more involved. My problem is that I honestly have no clue how go get such a large project going.

I know there has been plenty of discussion on this, but maybe Beyond can help collaborate and problem solve until something can be put into motion.

Feel free to add to my little brianstorm checklist:

Land - Where could a new track be built? How much land would be needed? How to keep the track close without too much harassment from the "Not In My Back Yard" Group.

Management/staffing - Who would have the time or resources to manage or look after a new facility? Would there be staffing available for the new facility? How much volunteering would be accessible?

Financing - Where can the money come from? Are investors interested in such a facility? How much business would the facility need to generate in order to be sustainable and create enough return for the investors?

Events - What events would Calgary want to host? Would there be enough demand to get into some more serious events like Formula D, Indy, Sports car championships?

Amateur Racing - Would events like Revworks, Garage Box, ect be able to afford continuing amateur events? Will private track use be affordable for ppl coming in off the street?

Maintenance and security - Who is going to keep the track going? How much annually does it take in order to keep a track and facilities in shape. Will there be a need to keep security 24/7?

Utilities, and taxes - What are the operating costs to keep this place running? How much money needs to be generated in order to pay these bills?

Year-round events - Is it possible to run events during the winter to offset costs of operating? What types of events can be held?

Feel free to add ideas, questions, and answers. Just maybe there is enough resources out there that can get something done.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

There is already plenty of attempts at planing a new facility.... but it seems like everyone so far has been stopped at first item you listed.

Land.

Nobody wants it in their backyard..... nobody. I believe one of the committees set up had asked the City for assistance on getting a piece of land to develop into a new facility. Didn't hear anything past that, so I'm sure I know who's court that balls in too.....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Even if you get the land, finding investors will be problematic. You need a business plan that can prove there's a return on investment, and with racing facilities only open for 6 months of the year, that will be tough. What needs to be figured out is how to generate revenue in the winter with minimal expenditures.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Tomaz

Amateur Racing - Would events like Revworks, Garage Box, ect be able to afford continuing amateur events? Will private track use be affordable for ppl coming in off the street?
    if we can afford the ridiculous prices currently charged for rentals... i think we would do just fine at a new modern facility

but i would love to see this third party rental bs disappear and have the facility run days like this for the public. rates to the drivers would be halved and days would be plentiful

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by rage2
    What needs to be figured out is how to generate revenue in the winter with minimal expenditures.
    done, heated track

or ice racing... or both

or.... indoor track!

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

There is already plenty of attempts at planing a new facility.... but it seems like everyone so far has been stopped at first item you listed.

Land.

Nobody wants it in their backyard..... nobody. I believe one of the committees set up had asked the City for assistance on getting a piece of land to develop into a new facility. Didn't hear anything past that, so I'm sure I know who's court that balls in too.....
    That shouldn't be too difficult just outside of city limits. Certain areas can be argued to be more effective than others.

Some examples of where the noise can be more acceptable:

Airports - Hell, if there are planes coming in and out of airports all day, the noise of a racing facility near by wouldn't create too much of an impact.

Industrial areas - If there is a large area of zoning for commercial and industrial (EG: cross iron/Balzac area), there will be less chance of noise pollution complaints because of the distance from residential.

Crown land - There is still thousands of acres of crown land that could be for sale that will have little to no residence to complain about noise, etc.

ex-military facilities - This is how the British do it. During WW2, hundreds of airports were created to support the RAF for refueling and first response to enemy threat. Since the war ended, the brits started using these strips for motorsports. Silverstone is the largest example. Canada did the same thing, we just done have as many airports laying around. But there are still quite a few out there that nobody has even bothered to lay claim.

If a company can build a cell tower, build a power plant, drill for oil, or even create sub-stations, a race track should be very possible.
    Last edited by Tomaz; 09-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by rage2
    Even if you get the land, finding investors will be problematic. You need a business plan that can prove there's a return on investment, and with racing facilities only open for 6 months of the year, that will be tough. What needs to be figured out is how to generate revenue in the winter with minimal expenditures.
    I was thinking the same thing, but there could be ways to expand the possible services provided to keep things going year round. I had a few ideas knocking around in my head.

Conference centre would be one way. Renting out the space to host whatever, kinda like the roundup centre. What would be really cool is if the track was able to host automotive shows. W of W, International car/bike show, monster jam, even concerts.

Providing commercial space is another way. Having an automotive shops, restaurants, tire shops, parts stores renting out commercial space on the facility could help support the off-season.

Driving school(s) - I thought it would be cool to have a driving school available year round. Something that can do basic driving, advanced, and entry racing. Winter driving and skid control can all be learned within the facility.

More ideas will come to me.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast