Quantcast
American C63 vs Canadian C63 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: American C63 vs Canadian C63

My Ride
    ute

Default American C63 vs Canadian C63

I would love to hear some comments from those that might have cross-shopped US C63's, vs Canadian C63's.

Some comments I have seen:

- difficult to compare prices due to differences in standard equipment with the CDN cars having more

- duty and GST are significant costs of importing (6% plus 5%) respectively.

- Cdn cars were priced (new) comparably to US cars, which is somewhat unusual for premium vehicles.

A couple of items make me hesitate on a Canadian car:

- Many parts of the US (arizona) are somewhat easier on cars/paint due to lack of winter

- It's possible that the depreciation curve on US cars is steeper, making a used 2011 or 2010 a slightly better buy in the US

- My 535xi wagon was a LOT cheaper in the US, I just had to find the right sources.

That aside, I have found I prefer turbo cars in Calgary due to the altitude...but it's just too sexy.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Canadian C63's are more "loaded" standard than US cars. So the only time you want a US car is if you want a really base one, no leather, no seat heaters, etc. The depreciation in the US for C63's is higher than Canada, as there are way more cars, so you might get one used a little cheaper. Tack on GST and Duty, and you're about the same price.

If you're worried about paint, look for cars here that have 3M clear bra on them. The cars are only 4 years old at most. There are also a lot of cars that are parked for the winter, so you won't have to worry about winter salts, etc.

The reason why BMWs are a lot cheaper is because of the pricing discrepancy between Canada and US.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Good luck importing one from the US.

MB Canada makes it way too hard.

My Ride
    ute

Originally posted by benyl
    Good luck importing one from the US.

MB Canada makes it way too hard.
    AFAIK, that is primarily a concern if you want warranty, correct?

BMW doesn't make it easy, and I found it relatively simple, still...although I know that MB is much worse when it comes to warranty transfer.

Some nightmares on the GL forum about people switching computers, clusters, and then stuff not working together, etc.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by Buster

AFAIK, that is primarily a concern if you want warranty, correct?

BMW doesn't make it easy, and I found it relatively simple, still...although I know that MB is much worse when it comes to warranty transfer.

Some nightmares on the GL forum about people switching computers, clusters, and then stuff not working together, etc.
    GL/ML are the easiest to bring across as the cluster displays km/h digitally by pressing a couple of buttons, same for DRL's.

edit: can someone verify if that is possible on AMG's? I did some reading and I see you can get temp read out to display as km/h, unsure about DRL's though.

To much effort to import from the US.. I looked into.. Decided it was wayyy better to get a Canadian C63
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Right, totally forgot about the cluster change and all the MB Canada requirements. That will easily make a US C63 much more expensive, as it's about $10k worth of work to be compliant and get the recall letter.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name