Quantcast
27year old heir of Red Bull kills Thai police officer with Ferrari. No jail time. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 27year old heir of Red Bull kills Thai police officer with Ferrari. No jail time.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Default 27year old heir of Red Bull kills Thai police officer with Ferrari. No jail time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...+World+News%29

(Reuters) - A dented silver Ferrari, a dead Thai policeman whose body was dragged for 200 meters under its wheels, a family driver ready to take the fall for the wealthy 27-year-old heir to the world-famous Red Bull energy drink empire.

This was the story splashed across the front pages in Thailand on Tuesday and a hot topic on web boards, where the common assumption was that a culture of impunity for the wealthy business and political elite would once again prevail.

Vorayuth Yoovidhya, a grandson of the late founder of Red Bull, billionaire Chaleo Yoovidhya, had initially fled the scene but later confessed to hitting the policeman, police said. He was released hours later on 500,000 baht ($16,000) bail.

Though Vorayuth has yet to appear in court, there seemed little faith among the public that justice would be served.

"Jail is only for the poor. The rich never get punished. Find a scapegoat," said one of a stream of comments posted on the popular Thai website, Panthip.com.

Another on news site Manager.co.th read: "He'll probably just get a suspended sentence. What's the cost of a life?"

Suspended jail terms do seem to be the norm for politically powerful or well-connected Thais.

In July, in the space of five days, two ruling party lawmakers and a former deputy prime minister were found guilty of defamation and received suspended sentences, while speaker of the senate Teeradej Meepien was adjudged to have illegally awarded himself monthly meeting allowances when he served as chief ombudsman. Teeradej won't be seeing a jail cell.

Neither will underage driver Orachorn Thephasadin na Ayudhya, given a suspended two-year prison sentence on Friday for causing the deaths of nine people in 2010 when the car she was driving collided with a passenger van.

That case caused outrage on social media over how a young girl with an aristocratic family name managed to escape jail and emerged with only a seven-year driving ban.

'CULTURAL NORMS'

"What many of these cases have in common is that the immediate reaction of those responsible is 'how can I get away with it?'," said Voranai Vanijaka, a political and social commentator for the Bangkok Post newspaper.

"It's who you know, not what you know and it's now a cultural norm. People believe the rich and the connected will get away with it. Thais are disgusted, but we accept it."

Many cases don't even get to court, with some ministers or top bureaucrats found to have been involved in corruption losing their jobs but facing no criminal action.

Sometimes, a simple apology suffices.

Just last week, a popular actress accused of tax evasion, Chermarn "Ploy" Boonyasak, wept before the media and blamed her accountant for an honest mistake, despite reportedly posting a photograph of herself on social media with the son of a former bureaucrat overseeing the revenue department, bearing the message "don't mess with us".

The "honest mistake" argument was also used by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2001, when he was acquitted of concealing 4.5 billion baht of his wealth behind the names of four domestic servants and a businessman.

In a separate case, Thaksin, who was overthrown in a 2006 coup, was sentenced in absentia to two years in prison for a conflict of interest in 2008 but fled into exile. Thaksin claims the sentence, and other pending cases, are politically motivated.

Conflicts of interest are common complaints in Thailand. The transfer last month of the son of Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung -- who oversees the police force -- from the military to the police caused a stir among opposition politicians, but not just because of alleged nepotism.

Duang Yoobamrung was famously acquitted in 2004 of shooting dead a decorated policeman in a crowded nightclub because of insufficient evidence. Duang was discharged by the military for desertion, having fled to Malaysia to avoid arrest, but he was reinstated several years later.

According to media reports, Duang has been assigned to work for the Metropolitan Police as a shooting instructor.
    It's a good time to be rich.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

money cant buy you happiness... but im happiest when i can buy any official i want, anytime that i want...

My Ride
    NC1

It's always a good time to be rich.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Wait.. An asian dude invented Red Bull?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by BensonTT
    Wait.. An asian dude invented Red Bull?
    Austrian & Thai Men
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah, didn't know that Red Bull has Thai heritage.

Guess Red Bull didn't give him wings.
    Last edited by lilmira; 09-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

do you guys not remember when we first got red bull up here? how it came in little medicine bottles with no english on it?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by ercchry
    do you guys not remember when we first got red bull up here? how it came in little medicine bottles with no english on it?
    Haha yeah I remember seeing those at MRC and UofC. They even had Thai writing on it. When they started coming out in the soda cans, I thought they were different products that shared the same name haha

The fine for shooting your secretary as a Thai MP seems to be $636.

No need to be rich. Seems to be a lot of mysterious accidental killings there lately.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by lilmira
    Guess Red Bull didn't give him wings.
    How so? He gets to fly right out of jail.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Thai redbull actually tastes good the ones you buy in the supermarket (luckys) anyone know where else to find it?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

That's where this came from.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

do they also make this? does anyone know where i can buy it in Calgary?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

When a whore only costs $5 for a go, it isn't surprising that the wealthy get away with a lot in Thailand.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

In Thailand you have to be rich to avoid justice, here in Canada you don't.... our justice system is also a joke.

Anyone who has been to Thailand and that neck of the woods knows full well unless it is a tourist killed, few questions are asked. Add the weight of a powerful clan and the money, well this POS will be out date raping and cop killing before the day is over. Some of the biggest crooks in Thailand in my experience are in fact corrupt police officers, I cannot tell who is the real criminal here. Nothing is 100% but it is easily 51%.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 94boosted
    In Thailand you have to be rich to avoid justice, here in Canada you don't.... our justice system is also a joke.
    Here, you find a $$$ lawyer to find loopholes. But the liberal judges are going to go light on sentence anyway if you are found guilty.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Xtrema

Here, you find a $$$ lawyer to find loopholes. But the liberal judges are going to go light on sentence anyway if you are found guilty.
    True. But you don't always need a $$$ lawyer.....

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/358278/st...rve-two-years/

Yes I know they weren't adults but still.