Quantcast
Tesla Motors - Page 110 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 110 of 149 FirstFirst ... 100 109 110 111 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2976

Thread: Tesla Motors

The more crap he posts the more he exposes what a fraud he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like a little XXX wrestling sometimes
    Vin Diesel or Ice Cube?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Co-worker of my wife got her Tesla yesterday. As far as I know they do not have charging at work, so I suppose she charges each night at home. Her normal city driving is the perfect use case. I'm interested to hear her opinion when she's got a few weeks in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Co-worker of my wife got her Tesla yesterday. As far as I know they do not have charging at work, so I suppose she charges each night at home. Her normal city driving is the perfect use case. I'm interested to hear her opinion when she's got a few weeks in it.
    Kind of an odd consideration, but it's one I have been contemplating.

What is the relative percentage of people who actually park their car at home in a garage or designated parking stall at night? Somewhere you can rely on having somewhere to regularly charge.

For example, experiences I have had in cities in Europe, most people just leave their cars somewhere on the street in some vague general area near where they live. Nowhere to charge at all. VERY rare to actually have spot to plug in let alone a garage with a fast charger. I bet SF isn't really different to this.

Even here, I have lots of friends who have never had a garage in their life, renters etc. They are limited to running an extension cord to the street, 110V for sure if they are even allowed to do that (ie apartment with street parking etc.). Doubt you can run a fast charging cable out to your Tesla on the street even if you wanted to.

You won't necessarily have somewhere to plug in at work.

Not having a dedicated place to charge their their vehicles is a huge problem no?

I think it comes back to the whole concept that electric cars are a pipe dream for the privileged and wealthy who can afford these things
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

The perfect use case is a max range commute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd say in this city a very large percentage of families have access to at least one parking location with at least 120v power. In fact, most families own more than one car too, so they can use the ither one for times when electric drawbacks become prohibitive. That may not be true worldwide, but probably covers a decent percentage of North American population.

I honestly think electric cars make a ton of sense for many people.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I currently only have a 110v plug near my condo parking, it's really all I need on a day to day basis.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Think of how much more strife this will cause for the "my neighbor parked in front of my house" debate

I am not trying to be controversial sorry, just a musing of mine. I am thinking of my own case for my winter car, its never anywhere near a plugin. Half the time I'm parked across the street, i would have to hunt around at work for 110V.

Guess i would have to hang out at chinook more often lol.

I am trying to make buying a Taycan work in my head and thinking of weird scenarios is all.
    Last edited by killramos; 10-09-2018 at 08:21 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

But what about your wife's car? I'll. Bet she parks by power every night.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But what about your wife's car? I'll. Bet she parks by power every night.
    Haha actually she is currently pissed because C63 is parked in middle of garage until I get around to winterizing and she has had to scrape windows, but wasn't really my point since i consider myself lucky enough to have a garage. If i bought an electric car i would probably buy a fast charger too. When I think about it, most of my friends don't and all park on the street 100% of the time was my consideration. Also my family in Europe, completely normal to go for a 2 block walk to find the car.

I would actually quite like to get her an electric car since its my way of "trying" without dealing with the inconveniences
    Last edited by killramos; 10-09-2018 at 08:33 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Haha actually she is currently pissed because C63 is parked in middle of garage until I get around to winterizing and she has had to scrape windows, but wasn't really my point since i consider myself lucky enough to have a garage. If i bought an electric car i would probably buy a fast charger too. When I think about it, most of my friends don't and all park on the street 100% of the time was my consideration. Also my family in Europe, completely normal to go for a 2 block walk to find the car.

I would actually quite like to get her an electric car since its my way of "trying" without dealing with the inconveniences
    For those scenarios you live and die by DC fast charging, no different than ICE relies on gas stations. So you are looking at spending 2hr per week at a DC fast charging stations if you do 400km per week.

Like Toyota said, who is still resisting EVs, they only want to invest in technology that applies to 100% use case. EVs are nowhere near that until there are more public chargers.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-10-2018 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I'd say in this city a very large percentage of families have access to at least one parking location with at least 120v power.
    Hmm, don't know if I agree with that. Considering how many people in the 'burbs park in the driveway or on the street because their garages are full of crap, and how few parking spots there are with condos, I think its a lot less than you think. I've had people scream BLOODY MURDER at me for having an extension cord across the sidewalk when renting a house with no front driveway and plugging in my duramax.

There aren't outlets in the underground parking at my condo. I guess I could put one in place of the light in the underground storage behind my unit.

So basically, its only viable with outdoor new condo parking (which probably has power) or front attached garage houses in the burbs. That's a pretty small share of the housing market.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Like Toyota said, who is still resisting EVs, they only want to invest in technology that applies to 100% use case. EVs are nowhere near that until there are more public chargers.
    Toyota cares about profits more than anything, and they don't believe traditional batteries are the answer. That's why they're investing so much into testing HFC and solid state batteries. They won't release any of it until it makes financial sense without having to rely on government subsidies which can be pulled at any time.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Hmm, don't know if I agree with that. Considering how many people in the 'burbs park in the driveway or on the street because their garages are full of crap, and how few parking spots there are with condos, I think its a lot less than you think. I've had people scream BLOODY MURDER at me for having an extension cord across the sidewalk when renting a house with no front driveway and plugging in my duramax.

There aren't outlets in the underground parking at my condo. I guess I could put one in place of the light in the underground storage behind my unit.

So basically, its only viable with outdoor new condo parking (which probably has power) or front attached garage houses in the burbs. That's a pretty small share of the housing market.
    If there is 0 downside operating an EV, everyone would have been onboard by now.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I currently only have a 110v plug near my condo parking, it's really all I need on a day to day basis.
    Is that plug metered to your condo? Or are the parkade plugs all shared? I think I would be pissed if someone was charging their car for free if I lived in a condo... or I would definitely buy one too. lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Turns out they do have 120v at work. Sleek looking unit.
    Name:  20181010_131505.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  52.0 KB

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Is that plug metered to your condo? Or are the parkade plugs all shared? I think I would be pissed if someone was charging their car for free if I lived in a condo... or I would definitely buy one too. lol
    If they provide block heater plugs, what's it to stop people using it as EV charger other than some by-law.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If they provide block heater plugs, what's it to stop people using it as EV charger other than some by-law.
    They are almost always installed with timers on them. 1 hour on, 1 hour off. To keep people from using them as free power for other things.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    They are almost always installed with timers on them. 1 hour on, 1 hour off. To keep people from using them as free power for other things.
    Maxt already pointed that out. Still 4hr (8hrs on plug) @ 110v at 8A is still ~3.5kwh. Good enough for 10-20km.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Or just stay off if the temperature is above -10°.

Page 110 of 149 FirstFirst ... 100 109 110 111 120 ... LastLast