Quantcast
Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs

Default Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs

Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs - curious as to why some manufacturers use lug bolts versus the majority that use lug nuts/wheel studs.

Every vehicle I've owned has used lug nuts/wheel studs and I've never had any issues with that combination in over 34 years of owning vehicles. Never the less, please school me as to why there are two different but similar methods of attaching wheels to a vehicle and any advantages/disadvantages either may have.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Just how it started in Europe likely. I've yet to see a NA produced vehicle with it.

It can be attributed to cost, 5 less parts per wheel.

I personally do not like them, but there's no change coming that's for certain.

I don't think that one method is superior than the other in regards to function, but it is definitely easier for most people to change there own wheels or install a spare etc when a vehicle has pressed in wheel studs and lug nuts rather than bolts...

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^yeah I absolutely despise lug bolts. Having to hold up each heavy tire & rim to start threading the bolt by hand gets old fast.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

For Mercedes-Benz owners, theres a long pin guide that helps alleviate these problems for installation.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by dj_rice; 04-25-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by dj_rice
    For Mercedes-Benz owners, theres a long pin guide that helps alleviate these problems for installation.
    I bought one from here for my BMW. Helps a ton for seasonal tire swaps.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't find much difference between the two. You can sit the wheel on the hub temporary when inserting the lug bolts. Same thing when removing the wheel, just push on the center to prevent the wheel from sliding off when taking the last bolt out.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Strider

I bought one from here for my BMW. Helps a ton for seasonal tire swaps.
    I'm buying one. Tire swaps suck on lug bolts.

I was thinking of doing the stud conversion with LocTite.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by lilmira
    I don't find much difference between the two. You can sit the wheel on the hub temporary when inserting the lug bolts. Same thing when removing the wheel, just push on the center to prevent the wheel from sliding off when taking the last bolt out.
    Anyone whining about how hard it is to get a rim up and bolted needs to check their man-card, It's marginally more difficult, and you only do it twice a year.

I honestly prefer lug bolts because if someone over-torques one and it breaks, it's easier to remove, than to take 1/2 your hub assembly apart to push out a stud.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

^ By the same token if you cross thread a lug nut onto stud you only need to get a new stud + lug nut..... a whopping $5 vs. having to replace an entire hub/bearing.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by 94boosted
    ^ By the same token if you cross thread a lug nut onto stud you only need to get a new stud + lug nut..... a whopping $5 vs. having to replace an entire hub/bearing.
    True, but how often does that happen compared to over torquing? I can't even see how that would be possible because the bolt has to go through the wheel first, which lines it straight up. Unless you somehow destroyed the threads on the bolt while it wasn't installed.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

The way you'd over torque is usually the same way you'd cross thread.... impact gun. I've seen both lug bolts and lug nuts/studs cross threaded before.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

All farm equipment I've ever had anything to do with has always used bolts. It makes me laugh because I assume people who buy European cars are incredibly snooty and would hate to know their car has something in common with farm equipment.

I have never struggled with starting to thread bolts in, so I don't know what that's about.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:10 PM.