Quantcast
CPS launches mobile app for anonymous tips, appointments, and other resources - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CPS launches mobile app for anonymous tips, appointments, and other resources

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default CPS launches mobile app for anonymous tips, appointments, and other resources

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/news/calg...hes-mobile-app

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lice.cpsportal
    iOS https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cps-...985700659?mt=8
    Blackberry https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA

We are proud to launch a free mobile app today, providing another way for citizens to interact with our Service. Advancements in technology have driven citizens’ expectations on how to engage with organizations. To respond to these expectations, months of research and consultation have gone into the development of the Calgary Police Service mobile app.

This is a robust, easy-to-use app that allows citizens to stay current with what’s going on in their community and the city as well as to communicate with us about their experiences with the Service.

Main Features of the app include:
    * Report historic crimes online.
    * Be the eyes and ears of CPS by submitting anonymous tips through Crime Stoppers and help fight crime.
    * Links to a variety of resources, including crime prevention, youth programs, domestic violence, victim resources, and recruitment information.
    * Book appointments from your smart device before attending a district office.
    * Complete traffic service requests for specific community traffic concerns.
    * Station maps including contact details.
    * Crime Maps: See crime trends in your geographic location.
    * Access to Calgary Police Service social media feeds and up-to-date news releases.
    * Ability to easily contact Calgary Police Service from a mobile device.

We take your privacy seriously. This app will not track you through your phone. It won’t read your text messages or go through your emails. When you use any geolocation services on your device, we don’t find out where you are and the application cannot access personal information or any files stored on the mobile device.

Email Feedback: Provide feedback and let us know suggested improvements and new features you would like to see added in future updates to the app. [email protected]

So, more or less similar to the 311 app in concept but geared towards CPS.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Good to see them moving into the 21st century. I think it's a cool idea.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

*waits for annoying 311 users to start cross posting illegally parked trailers in both apps*
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So is this a completely anonymous way for kids to "Swat" people?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    G6

Nothing on the internet is anonymous...

I like the idea, but I feel like this will be so flooded with "tips" and "concerns" that there will be no way to even scratch the surface of them all. Criminals/pranksters will also use it to try divert Police elsewhere anonymously or cry wolf.

Just imagine all the busy bodys staying at home, using the app to report "suspicious activity" etc.

Cool idea though, I hope it works better than I think it will. I also highly doubt it's truly anonymous should they decide they need to check you out as well.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I like the idea, but I feel like this will be so flooded with "tips" and "concerns" that there will be no way to even scratch the surface of them all. Criminals/pranksters will also use it to try divert Police elsewhere anonymously or cry wolf.

Just imagine all the busy bodys staying at home, using the app to report "suspicious activity" etc.
    They are going to need a lot more ticket revenue to pay for this.

Oh well, maybe I can do my part and start reporting left lane hogs and people that can't merge

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I think if you're already a busy body, the app isn't going to change much.

"anonymous" is interesting, but given that phone calls are traceable and logged, I can't imagine it was more anonymous then either. Unless you're using a pay phone, which barely exist anymore.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Big Blue

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    Good to see them moving into the 21st century. I think it's a cool idea.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    Your #1 hater

My Ride
    Grimace

It is on blackberry so all the old people can complain. Someone looked at my house today as they walked by, please send a unit.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If it's anything like CPS dispatch, it will try to nail you for a crime while trying to report one and argue about whether a certain road goes in a certain direction or not.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Anonymous. That's a good one.

I know someone who used the anonymous 1800 tip line, having overhead information at her work, but not wanting to put herself or her child in danger. She had detectives show up at her house less than 24 hours later on a major case. Anonymous! Unless they decide they REALLY want to talk to you in person. Then the gee-whiz tools the Royal Canadian MountMe Police and CSIS have get used, and voila, not so anonymous any longer.

I'm not saying having this app is a bad thing, but calling it anonymous in this age, in addition to my friend's case and many more like hers that have been documented and written about regarding the actual lack of anonymity of such L/E tools, is completely disingenuous.

FraserB - Not living in Calgary for a while now, I've missed the joke on that one. Can you expand a little, I'm interested in hearing about whatever it is you're referencing.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-23-2015 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Gman.45
    FraserB - Not living in Calgary for a while now, I've missed the joke on that one. Can you expand a little, I'm interested in hearing about whatever it is you're referencing.
    First case was when I tried to report a car that was blocking a full lane on southbound Crowchild at night. No lights and it was raining. The lady on the phone told me I was incorrect and I was not on Crowchild as it did not go southbound at all, I must be thinking of Glenmore. Spent a few minutes debating with her, giving cross street etc.. Then decided it wasn't worth my time, thanked her for educating me and hung up.

Second case was calling in two people hotboxing their Civic on Elbow Dr. Called in and was asked if I was driving, said yes and was immediately told I was breaking the law by calling in. Informed the operator I was trying to report an impaired driver, which didn't seem to matter to her. Again, just hung up without being able to provide the information to the dispatcher.

These days, I don't even bother to call for anything unless it's making an impact on me personally.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that toll free numbers have automatic number ID (ANI)? (you cant call them private since they foot the bill) but what do I know iam still stuck in the late 90s in terms of tech

Originally posted by Gman.45
    Anonymous. That's a good one.

I know someone who used the anonymous 1800 tip line, having overhead information at her work, but not wanting to put herself or her child in danger. She had detectives show up at her house less than 24 hours later on a major case. Anonymous! Unless they decide they REALLY want to talk to you in person. Then the gee-whiz tools the Royal Canadian MountMe Police and CSIS have get used, and voila, not so anonymous any longer.

I'm not saying having this app is a bad thing, but calling it anonymous in this age, in addition to my friend's case and many more like hers that have been documented and written about regarding the actual lack of anonymity of such L/E tools, is completely disingenuous.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I've had similar experiences as FraserB. Try to report an impaired driver and you get a ton of attitude back. 2 times I've tried it and I've gotten grief each time.

Yet I call for a smoking lamp post to non-emerg fire, and I get a cheerful lady who is actually interested in why I'm making the effort to call.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Don't report something while driving.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I reported while walking my dog lol. I'm a total crime stopper in all my neighborhoods. Dog walkers see everything, and we know when things are out of place haha.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just say your on a hands free and they won't grief you

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    I've had similar experiences as FraserB. Try to report an impaired driver and you get a ton of attitude back. 2 times I've tried it and I've gotten grief each time.

Yet I call for a smoking lamp post to non-emerg fire, and I get a cheerful lady who is actually interested in why I'm making the effort to call.
    Interesting to hear that considering all three emergency services are dispatched from the same call centre by the same group of civilians.

I have very few good things to say about that whole system. We have clueless civilians who are worried about "liability" of having someone on the phone trying to report an impaired driver, despite the fact that CPS has made it clear that it's an emergency and we need those calls to be made. Or, during a firearms call, are more worried about the subject's demeanour than they are about what they look like, where they are, or what they are doing with the weapon.

It's frustrating for us too.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.