Quantcast
Well that escalated quickly... Landlord / Tenant advice please. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Well that escalated quickly... Landlord / Tenant advice please.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Well that escalated quickly... Landlord / Tenant advice please.

Wow, so shit really hit the fan fast with my current landlord. I am looking for advice on how to handle this, and if I should be doing anything different, or if I should be doing more.

We moved into this house pretty much 3 years ago today, and we signed a 1 year lease with the current landlord. While we did keep asking to sign another lease, nothing ever came of it, and we just gave up. So we have been on a month to month tenancy agreement since. No hic-ups that really impacted us, and up until today I thought our relationship with our landlord was fairly amicable.

On July 9th, we got the following message from our Landlord via text to my number.

I responded a couple hours later that I received it, and that Baygirl and I would begin looking for a new place to live.

Fast forward a few weeks, well the past few days really. Baygirl and I found a new place to live, and agreed to rent it from our new landlords (who are awesome, at least so far LOL). We made our arrangements with them, and now knowing our move in date and such, I called my current Landlord to let her know. I called her and left a voicemail for her advising that we had found a new place to live and we were giving our 30 days notice and to call me back. This was at about noon. She called me back at 13:30 and that was when the proverbial shit hit the fan.

I answered and she immediately went ballistic. She kept saying that we had to be out on October 15th, and we had to give her 90 days notice and such. When I finally got a word in edgewise, I corrected her and said that because we were in a month to month tenancy, only 30 days were required. BTW, our month to month period is from the 15th to the 15th. She then further went on to tell me that she was at a wedding and that this was not the time to be talking about this and that it was not an urgent matter. She also stressed many times that she was on vacation and was not dealing with this. I said that was fine, but was giving her a heads up, and we could discuss it later tonight, or tomorrow, or whenever she had the time, but I was giving notice.

She hung up on me.

So, I sent her this message via text:

I also sent the following email with more detail to her email account.

I am totally shocked that this is happening the way it is, and like I said, up until this point in time, I had thought things were pretty good between us.

So, advice time. Should I be doing anything more? Anything I should be doing to protect ourselves here? General guidance?

Thanks everyone!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ford F150

You're fine from what I see. Crack a beer, relax, and enjoy your new place.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I'd say you're more than good. She told you that you needed to find a new place, and you did. You gave her the proper notice, she can move back into her house whenever she wants like she wanted. Fuck her. She seriously expects you to be able to find the right place that works for you, and it also happens to be available on an exact date? Get real lady.

Hopefully when she gets home she settles down and there's no issue getting your deposit back.
    Last edited by btimbit; 08-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

What a bitch.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

On her rag and around emotional women in a wedding party.... do nothing and give it a few weeks.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

So the way I read this is that she told you to vacate within 90 days and you did what she asked and now she is pissed? What a piece of work.

I see nothing that you did wrong.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    is broken

Looks fine to me. You handled it just fine.

The biggest piece left is to schedule a walk out inspection. Need the inspection for damage deposit.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You're good. Even with the phone conversation, she was the one who chose to return your call while she was at a wedding.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Looks fine to me. You handled it just fine.

The biggest piece left is to schedule a walk out inspection. Need the inspection for damage deposit.
    that is one of 2 aces I have up my sleeve. I plan on being reasonable with her when it comes to the damage deposit. If she starts trying to nickle and dime for everything out of spite, I am going to point her to this

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/618.cfm

Specifically this:
    What is an Inspection Report and is it mandatory?

The inspection report is a written record of the condition of the premises at the beginning and end of a tenancy. A landlord and tenant must inspect the rental premises within one week before or after the tenant takes possession of the premises, and within one week before or after the tenant gives up possession of the premises. After the inspections are complete, the landlord must give the tenant a copy of the report at the time of move-in and move-out.

A landlord can do the inspection reports without the tenant if the tenant or the tenant’s agent has been offered, and refused, two separate inspection times by the landlord. The inspection times offered must be on two different days that are not holidays, and between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.

If landlords do not complete the inspection reports, they can’t make deductions from the tenant’s security deposit for damages or cleaning. The landlord may still make an application through the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service or the courts to recover damages. Inspection reports must contain the statements and be signed in accordance with the regulations. See Residential Tenancies Ministerial Regulation and Information for Landlords.
    A walkthrough and / or inspection report was never completed, and as such, she is not allowed to keep any of the damage deposit.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I wouldn't even give her the chance to deduct.

When you get it back, I think it has to be within 10 business days, make sure it's the full amount. If it's not, give her one shot to correct it and that's it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

No, I will be fair about it. If there is something here that is not wear and tear, and that we did damage, I have no issue with paying for it. I don't think we have damaged anything, but we may not see it yet.

But if she goes off on stuff like the carpet looks worn, or this pin hole in the wall from a picture, or this drywall corner has a dimple in it...that is when I will play that card.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Your fine, you handled yourself well, excellent that you sent her a text and email.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    NC1

Goes to show you never really know who you are dealing with. People flip in an instant. Fuck people.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Reason #12, very few individuals will make for a good landlord. She just lost a solid, dependable rent payer and now will be exposed to the new renter market in Calgary.

Hold her feet to the flame as far as damage deposit is concerned. After three years, the place needs painting and I'd bet plenty of other things need replacing or repair.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I've never understood when landlords are like this. I be as nice to my renters are I can be, they're good people and don't wreck shit, why wouldn't I want to keep them happy. Even when they leave I'd rather leave on good terms than burn bridges. Word of mouth is handy down the road, especially with the growing age of social media.

You handled this situation really well spikerS. She needs to relax

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Originally posted by pheoxs
    I've never understood when landlords are like this. I be as nice to my renters are I can be, they're good people and don't wreck shit, why wouldn't I want to keep them happy. Even when they leave I'd rather leave on good terms than burn bridges. Word of mouth is handy down the road, especially with the growing age of social media.
    +1. Happy Tenant = Happy Landlord.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

She says she is moving back in to the residence, I'm wondering if she has just split up with a spouse of some kind that is causing her to need to move back? It doesn't excuse her piss poor attitude but it might explain it. Oh well, you're covered head to toe here and it sounds like the new place suits you just fine.

Just remember, there are assholes everywhere.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

ok, so with her telling me that she is on vacation and such does not negate that I officially gave our notice yesterday? As in she can't claim that the 30 days would not start until a later date kind of thing?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I think that she is just sore that she will be losing 1 months rent.

She had it in her mind that you would be leaving on the day she told you and not sooner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast