Quantcast
Nest Thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone have recommendations on a smart thermostat for electric baseboard heating?
    You could use any smart thermostat you like if you put one of these in the loop
    https://www.aartech.ca/rc840t-120-au...ansformer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    As far as I know wifi thermostats will not work with a 2-wire system, the wifi portion and screen need 24V to be powered, and without power they don't do jack. I ran into the same '2 wire only' issue and had to install a 24V transformer in the wall to power mine, also needed the relay installed, what a PITA but worth it to me.
    Picked up the 'free' Honeywell Lyric T5 from Best Buy and tomorrow night's project will be to pull in a new cable.
    Will fuck off, again.

Well the Lyric T5 is in and working. Pulling in a new cable was a bit of a pain in the ass in a fully finished 1955 bungalow and then having to change the furnace wiring setup because we were just a two wire system before but all is good now. Pretty cool to be able to access it from my phone, I think even my technology challenged wife will use the app on her phone.
    Will fuck off, again.

if you are missing a C wire, you can use an add-a-wire kit so you don't have to pull a wire. I did this on my main floor nest and haven't had any battery issues. Actually have a spare since I bought 2 but found an unused wire for my second floor thermostat that I just moved to the C
    https://smartthermostatguide.com/c-w...dapter-review/

Did this Ikea hack for a mounting plate for the nest as well. $6.99 Aptitlig chopping board, routed out so that the nest sits recessed
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    if you are missing a C wire, you can use an add-a-wire kit so you don't have to pull a wire. I did this on my main floor nest and haven't had any battery issues. Actually have a spare since I bought 2 but found an unused wire for my second floor thermostat that I just moved to the C

Did this Ikea hack for a mounting plate for the nest as well. $6.99 Aptitlig chopping board, routed out so that the nest sits recessed
    That looks pretty nice. When the ac guys installed mine they put on that POS plastic plate and then just screw it into drywall so I could just pull it out from the wall when trying to pull the face off. I ended up going for the naked look after patching the wall and mounting it to the stud.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    That looks pretty nice. When the ac guys installed mine they put on that POS plastic plate and then just screw it into drywall so I could just pull it out from the wall when trying to pull the face off. I ended up going for the naked look after patching the wall and mounting it to the stud.
    No stud for mine, drywall holds it just fine?

I did have to repair my drywall when i installed Nest to make the hole smaller. Honestly i think my builder just used a hammer to make the hole the first time around...

The plastic plate is garbage though for sure...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    No stud for mine, drywall holds it just fine?

I did have to repair my drywall when i installed Nest to make the hole smaller. Honestly i think my builder just used a hammer to make the hole the first time around...

The plastic plate is garbage though for sure...
    Screws it came with were garbage and not holding into the drywall. Just free spinning and then if you tugged on it, it would come out. Hole was so big in my wall I had to use mud instead of spackle. My original install was just poor I think and then I fixed it when I replaced it with a Gen 3 as I was able to return the gen 2 they gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    I don't think the add-a-wire kit is something one can wander into a Home Depot and get locally, I wanted the thing up and working and pulling in a new cable was quicker than waiting for a kit to arrive from somewhere else.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Screws it came with were garbage and not holding into the drywall. Just free spinning and then if you tugged on it, it would come out. Hole was so big in my wall I had to use mud instead of spackle. My original install was just poor I think and then I fixed it when I replaced it with a Gen 3 as I was able to return the gen 2 they gave me.
    Did you use the drywall anchors it came with? It should have prevented that 100%.

My Ride
    ute

I'm running about half of the eleven Nest3 I have in the house without a C wire, and their charging hack seems to work fine.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    Did you use the drywall anchors it came with? It should have prevented that 100%.
    I didn't do the original install. It was done by a qualified installer who was also supposed to wire in the humidifier but couldn't figure it out in two trips.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I didn't do the original install. It was done by a qualified installer who was also supposed to wire in the humidifier but couldn't figure it out in two trips.
    ah. I had the same problem, I didn't have enough wires running up from the furnace room to the controls. Didn't want to start cutting holes in a finished basement. Why can't they have wireless modules/controls.....

My Ride
    Grimace

ah. I had the same problem, I didn't have enough wires running up from the furnace room to the controls. Didn't want to start cutting holes in a finished basement. Why can't they have wireless modules/controls.....
    I think they coudln't wire it as there was only one wire available and they don't know relays exist. Still need to do it myself but keep forgetting about it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

That Lyric thermostat is awesome. We installed one at my parents' house and just added the C wire. Works wonders and provides outside temperature too, which is nice.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can sort of do that with Ecobee. Install it in the furnace room, and just have remote temp/occupancy sensors through the house. The drawback would be no physical access for controls and you would have to use the app, but in reality we haven't touched our temperature settings since we installed it.

Of course that doesn't work with the Nest, as it relies on usage and temperature changes that you would make to learn the patterns. That and the furnace room temperature is probably way off than what you actually need to reference off of for triggering heat/cool.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Hello and welcome back to the nest thread.
    Nest Hello comes out this week to solve all the issues with ring being terrible.
    https://nest.com/ca/doorbell/nest-hello/overview/

Nest has created temperature sensors to solve all of rage2s gripes as well
    Someone found them on reddit. Not sure when they will be releasing though as their page was soon after taken down (homedepot US)
    https://imgur.com/a/NOObW
    Battery powered w/ 2 year battery life (Cell batteries) so place wherever. Works with Nest 3 or Nest E and it was something like 8 you could use at once.

No new info on the security system yet, but it would be stupid expensive here anyways.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ffs I don’t want to buy a new nest just to use temp sensors...

Gen2 here.

Their security system is pretty underwhelming anyways.

Pretty interested in a Hello though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

anyone try this yet for a temp sensor in another room? Works with Nest :
    ThermoPeanut

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't need to buy a new nest and a new doorbell to get what I already have either.

A little too late Google.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Gen2 here.

Their security system is pretty underwhelming anyways.

Pretty interested in a Hello though.
    I can't remember what the spec sheet said as it is down now, but the only thing the gen 2 wouldn't have is bluetooth. It does have zigbee in all generations so I don't fully understand the decision as multi-hundred dollar items with actual installation aren't likely replaced often.

I am hoping my hello comes this week so when I don't ever answer the door, I can know who was there.

Nest also now has a $5/month $50/year camera option for 5 days of storage. This is much better than $10/$100 for 10 day as I don't need that much time. Additional cameras are $30 (40% off) a year where as on the 10 day plan they were $50 (50% off).

I have not tried any sensors myself as I have been assuming the snail called nest would eventually release one.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast