Quantcast
2016/2017 Ski and Snowboard Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Ski and Snowboard Thread

My Ride
    Lariat

Its not thursday yet, but figured I would post a throwback to a ski movie me and some buddies made in 2008. Hopefully this link works and you can see it.
    https://www.facebook.com/Kyle.Sanbor...s/42712576716/
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    Question for the Burton gurus.

Can I swap out a EST disc for a 3D disk on a set of EST bindings?

looking at a really good deal on some EST bindings online, but my current boards are bolt 3D bolt mount.

Thanks
    EST mounts differently it doesn't even have disks/plates.

EST

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

You can use non EST binding w/ an adapter with EST boards but not the other way around. Personally I despise EST since it's always shoved full of snow and impossible to adjust if anything gets loose. Additionally it locks all your gear into the burton cluster fuck...

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by lilmira
    Hmm, I'm not sure if there is a disc on the baseplate. I can check mine tonight. Since they make both versions of the same model I would say no.
    Originally posted by mazdavirgin

EST mounts differently it doesn't even have disks/plates.

EST

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

You can use non EST binding w/ an adapter with EST boards but not the other way around. Personally I despise EST since it's always shoved full of snow and impossible to adjust if anything gets loose. Additionally it locks all your gear into the burton cluster fuck...
    Thanks!

Will still get them, probably going to get an EST hybrid board to try out, the price is too good to pass up

Cheers

If you are looking for a cheap est board consider sportchek they have a ton of burton boards and a bunch of sale boards (old models etc).

I'm with Mazda though. I just made the mistake of trying out a new pair of bindings with different mounting tech and regretted it. I didn't even stray that far but tried out Ride bindings with the stupid combined washer (both bolts mount in a single twin washer in a 2x4) pattern. Fought with it for two weeks before going back to a good old 4x4 mounting pattern.

I had a long chat with a guy at Royal boardshop and we at one point got talking about est. his buddy had the problem where the mechanism wouldn't stay stationary and by the end of each day he'd have a sick wide stance haha.

But if the price is right try it out.

Originally posted by asp integra
    Its not thursday yet, but figured I would post a throwback to a ski movie me and some buddies made in 2008. Hopefully this link works and you can see it.
    Hey Man, definitely want to see it but it says content not found. Probably a permissions issue im guessing. Upload to YouTube?
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-24-2017 at 12:56 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by J-hop
    If you are looking for a cheap est board consider sportchek they have a ton of burton boards and a bunch of sale boards (old models etc).

I'm with Mazda though. I just made the mistake of trying out a new pair of bindings with different mounting tech and regretted it. I didn't even stray that far but tried out Ride bindings with the stupid combined washer (both bolts mount in a single twin washer in a 2x4) pattern. Fought with it for two weeks before going back to a good old 4x4 mounting pattern.

I had a long chat with a guy at Royal boardshop and we at one point got talking about est. his buddy had the problem where the mechanism wouldn't stay stationary and by the end of each day he'd have a sick wide stance haha.

But if the price is right try it out.
    I appreciate the input.

Most people and shops I talk to also have a pretty huge distaste for Burton and the EST rails, @ $60 for a new set of Cartel bindings I couldn't pass it up though.

I took a look at the Sportchek website, and they have the Burton ripcord on for 40% off, but it wouldn't be much different than the clash I currently use.
    I have a Custom X that I have been holding off from using, due it its fairly aggressive camber and super stiff feel.
    I consider a novice/ intermediate rider who is just starting to get carving in but still catches an edge here and there.
    If I could find a Custom Flying V for around the $300 mark, I would be golden, But then again its mid season, and I may as well just wait till the spring or fall of next year to get another board.

My Ride
    is broken

I use Flow bindings. Some people love em some people hate but i wont use anything else.

The speed of entry is awesome and i'm usually down the hill while the skiers tighten their boots haha. The newer ones are duel entry rachet strap which is awesome for all situations as the rear entry can be tricky on steep slopes.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

I appreciate the input.

Most people and shops I talk to also have a pretty huge distaste for Burton and the EST rails, @ $60 for a new set of Cartel bindings I couldn't pass it up though.
    Burton is beyond hated on lol

I got nothing bad to say about burton though. Ive owned a couple now and my latest one is the nug with the Cartel EST set up and i love it. Going on 3 years of EST use and not once has it come loose. Theres just as much shit talk with snowboarding as anything else so take everything with a bag of salt
    I remember years ago everyone and their dog was raving about the union forces so i had to try them. Get them home and strap my boots in and sure enough i cant get the anke strap undone. I had to google it because i literally couldnt get it undone and come to find out im not a knob and theres a lot of other people out there with the same issue. Went on the snowboarding forums and you shoulda seen the union white knights defending that binding lol. The toe cap was also garbage and if i recall right there were guys switching them to burton toe caps lol

Originally posted by jacky4566
    I use Flow bindings. Some people love em some people hate but i wont use anything else.

The speed of entry is awesome and i'm usually down the hill while the skiers tighten their boots haha. The newer ones are duel entry rachet strap which is awesome for all situations as the rear entry can be tricky on steep slopes.
    i totally agree they are probably the fastest to get in to but unless everyone is riding flows or youre by yourself youre going to be waiting too no? You could probabaly just bomb down ahead of the group but then you got no one to watch you

My Ride

Flow Bindings were my first choice when I was piecing together a new board setup, maybe I'll just resell these Cartels and go back to getting a set of those.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I have nothing to add to the actual skiing discussion outside of this article...

Behind The Scenes - xXx Jungle Skiing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

i totally agree they are probably the fastest to get in to but unless everyone is riding flows or youre by yourself youre going to be waiting too no? You could probabaly just bomb down ahead of the group but then you got no one to watch you
    I snowboard with skiers mostly and we like to move quickly so its keep up or get left behind.

My Ride
    rally pig

that is sick, damn i want to upgrade my burton custom bindings now

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Burton is beyond hated on lol

I got nothing bad to say about burton though. Ive owned a couple now and my latest one is the nug with the Cartel EST set up and i love it. Going on 3 years of EST use and not once has it come loose. Theres just as much shit talk with snowboarding as anything else so take everything with a bag of salt
    I like my cartels but I am not a fan of EST. Myself and a few friends have had nothing but problems with EST. Shit coming loose(baseplates come loose but at least you can tigthen it back down without having to get a hair dryer to get shit out of the channels) and then being unable to tighten anything back down with the tool benches because the channels jammed full of snow. Frankly it has more disadvantages than advantages since why fix what ain't broken? 4 screw and baseplates works just fine and at least it doesn't lock you into the whole burton only lala land.

There's a reason why burton gets hate. It's because they do stupid shit to try to keep their parts non standard with other vendors. Why do you think they are pushing channel boards? To support their binding business. Not because it's somehow revolutionary and way better than screws and baseplates. Personally I'm pissed they changed their ratchet style to the weird ass rollers because that means all my previous cartels and spare parts don't work with their bindings going forward.

If it isn't broken stop trying to make changes because frankly gear doesn't matter all that much. Skill and the rider himself far outweigh any of the latest random tech nonsense of the hour.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 01-24-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

There's a reason why burton gets hate. It's because they do stupid shit to try to keep their parts non standard with other vendors. .
    If i was behind burton you'd better believe id be trying my best to lock customers in lol I do agree it sucks that i had to buy new bindings for my new board because it was non burton but the whole saying of "if it aint broken dont fix it" is garbage imo I'm all for innovation and sometimes its a flop and sometimes its game changing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Z

Fernie this weekend! Hopefully things soften up
    KH and Avalanche mountain last week

Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Where in town has the best deals on gear? The inside laces on my one book broke and figure its time for an upgrade anyways. Would normally wait until end of year deals but dont feel like waiting.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Where in town has the best deals on gear? The inside laces on my one book broke and figure its time for an upgrade anyways. Would normally wait until end of year deals but dont feel like waiting.

Hate to say it but sportchek for pricing if that is your top priority (was mine this year)

I just bought a pair of bindings from Royal board shop though and I was super impressed with them. I dealt with Cam and he was super knowledgeable and didn't BS me. They were clearing out a few old models of bindings and had some good deals, I didn't look at boots though.

I will probably go to Royal from now on for my stuff. Definitely had a good vibe to it and a focus on customer service. Cam worked with me for 45 minutes to an hour right before closing while my slow ass decided between two bindings. I think they are really the last real true grassroots boardshop left in Calgary

Anyone do sunshine the last couple weekends. Thinking about heading up Saturday but wondering about how crazy it's going to be? When I hit Louise a few weekends ago everyone turned off at sunshine and I heard it can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes

My Ride
    Horse

Question, I've never really gone snowboarding late into the season. If I want to head out sometime in between March 17 and March 31st, where would I have the best chances of getting at least some decent snow?

Side note: I want a new board but not sure what kind. Anywhere I can rent a board to try before buying?

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast