Quantcast
Android Thread - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the help, It has the dot but she wants the number.. I will try some different messaging apps and see if any are worth keeping.

Also, do you know if there is a certain way to control what shows up on the Android notification bar? She wants to still have the app dot or # on the app but for it to not pop up in the bar, if that makes sense lol.
    I'd head over to Xda and ask there.

Also maybe look at nova launcher or something like that. It likely has these features baked in.

At that budget, you can get an S8. You buy it from koodo on contract ($200) then Cancel right away and pay out the tab ($504) and you walk away with a new S8. Buy the extended warranty from samsung and you are laughing.

The Pixel is also going on clearance now that the next version is going to be announced next week but i'd suggest the S8 over the Pixel.

Try Teslaunread for a SMS counter of your unread messages.. works ok for me

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Does anyone have any recommendations for Message launchers?

My wife has been using her pixel for a month or so and she says that it does not show the small icon to show how many unread texts she has.
    Try Next SMS?

My Ride
    LNF

Thank you everyone for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    At that budget, you can get an S8. You buy it from koodo on contract ($200) then Cancel right away and pay out the tab ($504) and you walk away with a new S8. Buy the extended warranty from samsung and you are laughing.

The Pixel is also going on clearance now that the next version is going to be announced next week but i'd suggest the S8 over the Pixel.
    I will second this.. By far the best deal.. We did this for my wife and she got her Pixel XL for 600$. At that time, the S8 was not on sale yet.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Where are you seeing Pixels on clearance? I've been watching RFD for the last few weeks and have seen no mention and Koodo has been cleared out after their last promo over a month ago.

My Ride
    rally pig

interesting, so go to a koodo store, get an S8 for 200$ and then cancel it out right away for 500$?
    will i be able to cancel it at the store or have to call koodo?

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Where are you seeing Pixels on clearance? I've been watching RFD for the last few weeks and have seen no mention and Koodo has been cleared out after their last promo over a month ago.
    I thought you could get the Koodo deal at some places. I know there was an ebay deal a few days ago to that was selling refurbs for $399. You might have to see if koodo releases any new stock or you run into one at a corp store.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    interesting, so go to a koodo store, get an S8 for 200$ and then cancel it out right away for 500$?
    will i be able to cancel it at the store or have to call koodo?
    You can cancel over the phone.

My Ride
    rally pig

I thought you could get the Koodo deal at some places. I know there was an ebay deal a few days ago to that was selling refurbs for $399. You might have to see if koodo releases any new stock or you run into one at a corp store.

You can cancel over the phone.
    cool thanks for the info, by cancelling will they unlock the phone then?

From what i have read, the samsung locks to the first sim thats put in. So if you make sure you current one is the one that goes in, you will be good to go. Else you can unlock for $20 on ebay.

You might have luck getting them to do it to as by december, they aren't allowed to even lock anymore.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Apparently people have been able to get free unlock codes from Koodo/Telus by playing up the CRTC ban on unlocking fees starting Dec 1.
    Here's an RFD thread on the subject
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/kood...-ymmv-2115487/
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the help, It has the dot but she wants the number.. I will try some different messaging apps and see if any are worth keeping.

Also, do you know if there is a certain way to control what shows up on the Android notification bar? She wants to still have the app dot or # on the app but for it to not pop up in the bar, if that makes sense lol.
    Since the dot is new for 8.0, I am not 100% sure if you can control the dots individually by app. You can, however, control notifications (and detailed permissions) individually, and by app.

Been thinking of jumping ship to Android from the Iphone 6s as I don't like the direction Apple is going with the 7,8 and 10.

What phone do you guys recommend that are same/better spec than the 6s that won't cost too much either? Looking to spend only around 600-700$.
    I don't do anything intensive on my phone so my only requirements are:
    -bigger screen than the 6s but don't want 6s plus size either
    -decent camera that is comparable to the 6s
    -has hotspot
    -NES and SNES emulator (what do you guys recommend)

thinking of giving the Oneplus 5 a try, either 6GB or 8GB but wanted to see if there's any other ones that I should consider.
    maybe Galaxy S7 edge or even S8?
    Pixel or GS7 / GS8 all meet your requirements and have much better cameras than the 6S. Only thing I don't know about is the emulator because I don't use those, but cameras and screens are definitely better. The Pixel's have the best cameras and HDR engine. Pixel 2 will be announced October 4 but might be just outside your budget.

My Ride
    LNF

I would consider the OnePlus 5 as well. 650 or less if you are a student. I was using a friends and I found it be smoother then the Pixel XL. Really nice phone though and she has had no issues with it. Sounds like most of the bugs are worked out on it.

My Ride
    This and that.

Honestly, I've used many phones including several Android phones (newer ones as well) and I have never seen an android as smooth as the Essential phone. It's absolutely solid and feels like an iPhone in terms of flow/smoothness which I always thought no Androids ever had. Keyone was also pretty good in that regard actually. Essential got bad reviews but that didn't deter me, while I agree with the camera aspect, which they keep updating actually the UI is awesome and nothing like what some reviews mentioned. And the phone looks and feels absolutely gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Honestly, I've used many phones including several Android phones (newer ones as well) and I have never seen an android as smooth as the Essential phone. It's absolutely solid and feels like an iPhone in terms of flow/smoothness which I always thought no Androids ever had. Keyone was also pretty good in that regard actually. Essential got bad reviews but that didn't deter me, while I agree with the camera aspect, which they keep updating actually the UI is awesome and nothing like what some reviews mentioned. And the phone looks and feels absolutely gorgeous.
    I imagine the new Pixel's (Oct 4) will be the best Android experience once they are available as they will have near identical internals, but with Google tweaks and a much better camera. The Essential phone looks really good too, and I love that it's titanium/ceramic it just has a few issues (for me):

- Screen cutout is a deal breaker
    - No OLED
    - Small battery for its size
    - Wireless charging would have been nice
    - Camera not up to the level of a Pixel
    - Not waterproof

An outstanding first effort though IMO. Still a great phone.

Solidity/smoothness are also the hallmarks of the current Google Pixels, so I would expect nothing less for the replacements in a few days. My Pixel XL is as smooth/instant as they day I got it, maybe even slightly more so with 8.0 but it could be in my head.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Solidity/smoothness are also the hallmarks of the current Google Pixels, so I would expect nothing less for the replacements in a few days. My Pixel XL is as smooth/instant as they day I got it, maybe even slightly more so with 8.0 but it could be in my head.
    This. The Pixel is the first Android phone that I've played with that doesn't have the dreaded keyboard lag.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Pixel XL2 in a Case leaked:

My Ride
    ute

thank god the pixel doesnt have that stupid screen cutout thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    thank god the pixel doesnt have that stupid screen cutout thing.
    No kidding. That would probably be a deal breaker for me unless I couldn't find a phone that was very similar otherwise. Dual speakers, waterproofing, squeeze input, etc. are all welcome additions. Removal of the headphone jack is disappointing though. Also rumor has it that you now get free unlimited Google Drive space with the Pixels, which is potentially a huge value in addition to the existing free unlimited (full resolution/original) photo and video storage. For me the pure android experience and the camera are the biggest draws to the phone.

Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast