Quantcast
Trip to dentist leaves Edmonton girl, 4, brain damaged, in pain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip to dentist leaves Edmonton girl, 4, brain damaged, in pain

My Ride
    95B

Default Trip to dentist leaves Edmonton girl, 4, brain damaged, in pain

My Heart goes out to this family and the Kid. This is so sad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...pain-1.3797170

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Now THIS, is real world tragedy. I can't imagine sending my kids to the dentist and them ending up in this position. No amount of money will change things for the family but I hope the dentist is sued for millions.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Read this earlier today and left me speechless.

Gofundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/2s42puk

My Ride
    Nothing

wow that is sad
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Now THIS, is real world tragedy. I can't imagine sending my kids to the dentist and them ending up in this position. No amount of money will change things for the family but I hope the dentist is sued for millions.
    No kidding, this is just... wow

My Ride
    95B

Was speaking a friend of mine who is an Anesthesiologist in UK and he said that this practice of dentist giving anesthesia was stopped about 15 years ago in UK. He said that hospitals are better equipped to handle this type of situation and not private dental clinics.

My Ride
    is broken

No kidding. The article reads like the Anesthesiologist really wasnt paying attention.
    Anesthesiology has got to be one of the hardest professions. Your job is literally to keep a person on the brink of death.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    NC1

that is really sad.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by jacky4566

Anesthesiology has got to be one of the hardest professions. Your job is literally to keep a person on the brink of death.

This, then they sue.

What a backwards society.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

this is why I won't let my daughter get sedated when she needs to be worked on (when the time comes).
    Dentists do it simply because it's easier than dealing with a squirmy screaming child, but the video's of the kids (even adults) still under the influence is alarming.

I remember being put under in the hospital for a procedure and having a panic attack as I succumbed to it and waking up agitated.

Poor kid, I can't imagine what her poor parents are going through.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'd go completely ballistic. So sad.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

This just comes with the territory. All surgery is serious surgery IMO, and as someone who gets sedated for dental work I know that there is a risk with that. This sux for sure but I'm sure they were told there are risks.

Originally posted by Zhao Kan
    This just comes with the territory. All surgery is serious surgery IMO, and as someone who gets sedated for dental work I know that there is a risk with that. This sux for sure but I'm sure they were told there are risks.
    So a root canal under GA is as serious as a quadruple by-pass? With the same probability of success?

You really think they said "It's just a routine dental surgery, but she may wind up brain dead and a vegetable the rest of her life"??

My wife had major dental work done under GA and there was no such warnings like this given.

My Ride
    Silverado

Wow, Settlement is going to be in the 8 figures for sure.

best wishes to the little girl and her family.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

True, there are risks with general anesthesia - though such risks are generally more apt to occur if the ones doing the work don't do their jobs properly. It sure sounds like multiple things were done incorrectly, and like a definite case for getting sued to me - but I'm only going off of what I've read and a complete lack of education as to protocol.

In the end, they are likely never to get their little girl back. That's so enormously heartbreaking.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by C_Dave45

So a root canal under GA is as serious as a quadruple by-pass? With the same probability of success?

You really think they said "It's just a routine dental surgery, but she may wind up brain dead and a vegetable the rest of her life"??

My wife had major dental work done under GA and there was no such warnings like this given.
    You can die from routine surgery. You can die from "minor"surgery. Hence, all surgery is serious surgery. Get it?

It was my first surgeon that told me every surgery was serious surgery. Risks were explained to me more than once too. Now they give an info packet and also ask if I have any more questions when I come in the day of.

You can die from routine surgery. You can die from "minor"surgery. Hence, all surgery is serious surgery. Get it?

It was my first surgeon that told me every surgery was serious surgery. Risks were explained to me more than once too. Now they give an info packet and also ask if I have any more questions when I come in the day of.
    I could be wrong but from what it sounded like there was no vital monitoring initially from the father's account. Unless he was wrong that is sedation 101 isn't it? And you wouldn't then put the vital monitoring on after they were sedated that would just be stupid.

So (and this is just speculation) the kid could have been without monitoring the entire time. That isn't "assumed risk" to me. That is blatant negligence. Had the kid had the appropriate monitoring in place I would assume they would be able to notice right away that the blood oxygen levels were dropping and initiate rescue breathing/cpr until the paramedics could get there and there would be a good chance no brain damage would have occurred.

Now that is just speculation. Maybe everything was done right and this still happened. Time will tell. But it seems way too fishy....

Yeah... People don't seem to get this but this was the exact same spiel I was given when debating allowing my collar bone to heal or getting a plate put in. Surgeon was quite adamant that it's far less risky to avoid going under if possible and he would never recommend going under unless it is actually required.

Chance of dying as a result of general anesthesia alone = somewhat less than 11-16 deaths per 100,000 persons, depending upon general health of the persons (0.01-0.016%) (Lienhart 2006, Arbous 2001).
    So it's a non zero risk. Even if the anesthesiologist does his job perfectly there is still a risk of the person not waking up or having an adverse reaction.

In this case maybe it's a tragedy or maybe it's malpractice but people should known that going under is not this magic no risk affair.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

So they didn't setup any monitoring before they put her under, is this what we're understanding?

So very sad. I remember when I had a "minor" surgery. I wasn't allowed to eat for 24hrs or something like that prior, and 12 hours or something not even allowed to drink water. I remember waking from the surgery and having to pee so badly as I thought "how the hell? I haven't drank in 12 hours.."

Should she not have eaten anything prior?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

In this case maybe it's a tragedy or maybe it's malpractice but people should known that going under is not this magic no risk affair.
    Exactly. Its like getting your wisdom teeth out, there is no guarantee that you don't end up with half a numb face for the rest of your life if they accidentally hit the main nerve in your jaw.

Sometimes shit does just go wrong. In this case though, it does sound like negligence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast