Quantcast
F87 M2 questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: F87 M2 questions

Default F87 M2 questions

Didn't want to go too O/T in the Mega Crash thread, so I made a "Mini" M2 thread as I have some questions for the several Beyonders rolling the F87 first gen M2.

What do you M2 owners in the 2016-2021 gen range feel about the DCT trans and other components besides the engine, which everyone knows has a huge/stellar rep. After shattering my right leg last year, turned out the accompanying nerve/tendon damage was also serious and giving me issues (in a full plaster effing cast at 25 degrees in the air sort of issues at the moment), and now having more metal/etc in my lower leg than bones, the manual trans box is being unchecked for my 2024 dry road season inbound new ride. M2 (2016-new gen), M240i, (2021 or newer) Supra, and maybe even the (gasp) Nissan Z are all on the list. Good low km used M2 is at the top of this list, I drove a manual one in the fall of 2021 and absolutely loved that car. Should have pulled the trigger, but attention got diverted.

I've owned 30+ vehicles not even counting bikes, and despite having a wide assortment of different cars/trucks/vans/SUVs, I've never owned a BMW. So, advice on the M2 and what to look for in a good sub 50km (hopefully 35km or less) used F87.

Thanks is advance.

Emoji --- imagine a dancing banana ---

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

First step is figuring out if you want an “OG” M2, or the competition.

They are actually pretty different in a number of places. OG has an N55 engine, and the Competition has the S55 engine out of the M3/4. The S55 objectively sounds worse and is more complicated but is a really good engine. I think the N55 is slightly more sought after by tuners if that’s your kettle of fish and I imagine a fair bit cheaper to maintain ( single turbo vs twin turbo, just a lot less tightly wound as well).

I’ve been really happy with mine, including the DCT. It’s reasonably smooth be to my knowledge isn’t terribly unreliable. Same unit bmw used across their lineup since 2008 or so. I imagine it’s expensive to repair, but I don’t think it’s inherently unreliable.

Downsides? There isn’t a lot of space under the car for more tire if that’s important with you. Tolerances are such that my winters rub even at stock sizes just based on the slightly different profile of the treat compared to the summers. Interior isn’t terribly fancy, especially in the OG which is basically just the normal 240i interior with blue stitching.

Overall it’s a good car, suspension is a bit stiff and outside of the CS adaptive isn’t in the cards so it’s always like that.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I’ve been really pleased with mine. The tail lights on all of them are junk, but that’s just a thing you have to live with. I really like the car. It sits in a great sweet spot for usable power in a DD.

edit: if you're getting an auto, I'd get the older one with the N55 engine. S55 seems to have crank hub issues which are more prevalent in the DCT cars - there's somewhat of a consensus online that the abruptness of the revs dropping on aggressive upshifts is what causes the spun crank hub. Plenty more detailed info and lots of anecdotes on the bmw forums if you want to read up on it. It's likely one of those things that's a bit blown out of proportion online, but the fact that it's even a common discussion means it happens more often than I'd personally want to risk. You can also pre-emptively remediate the issue, and IIRC it's about $4k.

That being said, if I didn’t need a trunk or backseat, I’d be all over a supra. Better engine, great package, faster… just all around a bit more car I think.

The Nissan Z will be a turd, don’t do it
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-31-2024 at 09:45 PM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I think the OG M2 is a great car, I've driven a couple of them in a very spirited manner and have come away impressed. Confidence inspiring at the limit, easy to throttle steer, great brakes. I've only driven MT's, never a DCT so can't specifically comment on the trans though. I was seriously considering both an OG and a Comp last year when it looked like I wasn't going to get a Supra MT, but the stars somehow aligned. Having driven an OG M2 and Supra back-to-back, both properly set up (tires, alignment, some suspension tweaks, etc.), IMO the Supra is just a bit better dynamically, a bit lighter, a bit more power, shorter wheelbase, etc. but it's certainly not night & day.

A few more points to consider with the OG M2 over and above what killramos and bjstare already mentioned. The N55 in the M2 gets some upgrades over the vanilla N55 in everything else of that vintage, like forged rods and a forged crank. It's also a fair bit lighter than the M2C and it can run 18" wheels as the brakes are a bit smaller.

If you haven't watched this yet I'd recommend it, not that you're considering a G87, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-7M...NlIHN1cHJhIG0y

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post

The Nissan Z will be a turd, don’t do it
    This.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

On the topic of spun crank hubs, everything I’ve read is this is absolutely a non issue at stock power levels on M2C.

If you are going to tune it north of 500HP, probably something to preempt like cj said.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    M2 (2016-new gen), M240i, (2021 or newer) Supra, and maybe even the (gasp) Nissan Z are all on the list.
    Without knowing your budget, I'd swap the Z with an auto 1LE Camaro.

Thanks all - really appreciate the info and vid link, learned quite a few new things.

Jutes, 1LE Camaro was on my list, I remember you were selling yours right around the time I smashed my right leg into bits. Love that car, I've owned several 98 to 2002 Camaro SS/Firebird RamAir/TA cars. Still may eventually get another one, but I want to check off some boxes of cars I've never owned, like a BMW/Supra right now, as hitting 50y.o. a few months back has made passing time seem to accelerate even more than it already has.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    On the topic of spun crank hubs, everything I’ve read is this is absolutely a non issue at stock power levels on M2C.

If you are going to tune it north of 500HP, probably something to preempt like cj said.
    Oh that's a good point. I was only looking into it on M3/4 since I was cross shopping those when I got my M2.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I still have a soft spot for a yas marina blue M3 competition.

In a perfect work I buy one of each haha

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I still have a soft spot for a yas marina blue M3 competition.

In a perfect work I buy one of each haha
    I was set on getting an F80 M3, ideally that color, until I read many reviews that said that car is disappointing/underwhelming compared to the M2 haha. Decided to go for the M2 and hold out for a used G80 M3 or 911 next.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Everyone loves to say they like the manual in the M2 but BMW manual transmissions are shit. I had no choice as my wife wanted a stick shift. But since you are looking for a DCT, that's the better option imo.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Everyone loves to say they like the manual in the M2 but BMW manual transmissions are shit..
    Ultimate Clutch Pedal fixes most issues.

My Ride
    V8s

Everyone loves to say they like the manual in the M2 but BMW manual transmissions are shit.
    Yeah, I don't love it. That being said, my "good transmission" bar was set by my S2k.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

The Supra's MT is better than the MT's in the M2's I've driven. But still nothing compares to something like a Tremec T6060 or even whatever gearbox is in the FK8 CTR.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Yeah, I don't love it. That being said, my "good transmission" bar was set by my S2k.
    Definitely a high benchmark. Still one of my favorite manual transmissions. Even better than the FK8s

I dont actually think the problem is in the Pedal... even tho it is a bit long. The throw and rubbery feel of the shifts annoys me. It has the same shitty feel of my old 2005 zhp.

My Ride
    V8s

Definitely a high benchmark. Still one of my favorite manual transmissions. Even better than the FK8s

I dont actually think the problem is in the Pedal... even tho it is a bit long. The throw and rubbery feel of the shifts annoys me. It has the same shitty feel of my old 2005 zhp.
    Yeah I agree, I don't really think there's anything wrong with the pedal. It's not bad at all. The throw and feel is what I don't like, especially when it's cold it's awful.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I owned a 2018 LCI that was the last year before the Competition models. Can't comment on the DCT because mine was manual but it was a solid car. Never had an issue and it made for a fun daily driver all year round as I bought the BMW cold weather package for winters. Only gripe is that the interior while very functional was a little low rent compared to the F80/82. I actually didn't mind the manual transmission. It was rubbery but never got notchy and hard to shift in the cold and was a really easy manual/clutch to operate in daily traffic.

Thanks again all, a lot of reaffirming intel provided by all of you, and some new and very important information as well. I was surprised at how many others here, beyond the couple of members I was already aware of, have owned/own this car.

I tend to try and pick off cars that are only a year or two old for the obvious reasons, but they way the cars/tech/market is now, stretching that to a 5 or even 7 year car like a 2018 or even a bit older M2, is going to work for me I think. We have the dry season longer distance highway vehicle covered, same with truck, this is just going to be a "make me happy hooning around" car that won't go too far away from home base. So the only real negatives of the basic-ish interior, and road noise and so on aren't going to be an issue for me.

I think I may have found the one I want, and I have somebody close by to it that can check it out, and getting it either shipped or driven here will be a snap as it's reasonably close.

Thanks again.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Good news. I hope it works out for you!